• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Double post prevention system removed and top poster list missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
So when did the double post prevention system get disabled?
It is a little annoying since I used to just hit the reply key if I wanted to add a quote-reply to an existing post.

Now I have to hit several other keys and its taking some getting used to.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
I can't say I've noticed it

edit: I see what you mean

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
Testing another post here. You still have to wait 60 seconds between posts

J-2739

Established Member
It's broken for me also.

Also, the list of people who've logged on each day is missing, as well as the 'top poster' link. Not to bothered though! :D

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I noticed the same matter over the last week and also, the "Top Posters" link at the foot of the master index page has now had two occurrences of only showing a comprehensive list of smilies, instead, which appeared to have occurred as the forum staff were tweaking the website. Currently, that last problem seems resolved.

Bevan Price

Established Member
So when did the double post prevention system get disabled?
It is a little annoying since I used to just hit the reply key if I wanted to add a quote-reply to an existing post.

Now I have to hit several other keys and its taking some getting used to.

I found it to be a bit of a menace, because it sometimes combined posts when you did not want that to happen - there was no user control over it.

skyhigh

Established Member
I noticed the same matter over the last week and also, the "Top Posters" link at the foot of the master index page has now had two occurrences of only showing a comprehensive list of smilies, instead, which appeared to have occurred as the forum staff were tweaking the website. Currently, that last problem seems resolved.

I'm still finding that - good to have a definition for the meaning of each smilie but not exactly what you'd expect... :D

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have spoken with our intrepid Administrators and they confirm that it has been disabled due to some testing/fault finding that they've been conducting. We apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause to your Forum journey today.

miami

Established Member
Clearly it just needs turning off and on again. They've turned it off, so next step....

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Of course, anyone wanting to see where they are in the 'big list' can still access it via th members list, and sorting by post count ;)

I have also noticed of late that the entire 'UK Railway Forums' forum is not visible on the home page when not logged into an account, though its content still shows in New Posts etc.

Crossover

Established Member
Of course, anyone wanting to see where they are in the 'big list' can still access it via th members list, and sorting by post count ;)

I have also noticed of late that the entire 'UK Railway Forums' forum is not visible on the home page when not logged into an account, though its content still shows in New Posts etc.

Seems to be OK for me when not logged in from what I can see

The all active users today seems to have gone too - perhaps it got a bit long as all that now exists are those that are active at the moment

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Seems to be OK for me when not logged in from what I can see

The all active users today seems to have gone too - perhaps it got a bit long as all that now exists are those that are active at the moment

Had a gander just now and it's back for me too. At least that's one thing that has been resolved!

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I'm with Bevan Price - do we have to have it back?

Me too. I personally often found the double post prevention system a bit irritating because it often combined posts that were addressing different issues or answering different posts within a thread, and therefore arguably ought to be separate posts.

There have been occasions in the past when I've wanted to reply to two separate other comments when I've deliberately replied to one, then waited for someone else to post something before replying to the other - in order to avoid having comments about two separate issues being merged into one post. Now I don't have to do that :) And there's now the flexibility because - if you want to add something that arguably ought to be part of the same post, there's always the option to simply edit the post.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I think if you edit the post it doesn't appear as unread or as a new post and therefore might be missed.

That is true. However, if I wished to edit a post to add some new material, I'm fairly sure I'd only do so within a few minutes of posting - so the read/unread thing wouldn't be a significant issue. Obviously, editing a post to add new stuff hours or days after posting would be a fairly silly thing to do for exactly the reason you've pointed out: Almost no one would see it.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I have spoken with our intrepid Administrators and they confirm that it has been disabled due to some testing/fault finding that they've been conducting. We apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause to your Forum journey today.

Have the forum staff any idea of when the points raised in this thread will see resolution?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Three times in a very short recent time period has seen the link to this information shown at the end of the master website index page being replaced by a fully comprehensive list of smilies. This was still the case this morning.

Good as this temporary measure is to educate those not well versed in the use and understanding of the said smilies, it is not fulfilling the information dissemination purpose of having the 24 hour, 7 day, 28 day, master statistical list of postings made by members of the website.

Can a member of the forum staff give an answer to this query.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As soon as is practical the issues will be addressed by the volunteer Staff Team.

Jonny

Established Member
I found it to be a bit of a menace, because it sometimes combined posts when you did not want that to happen - there was no user control over it.

I was rather used to it - in fact I got into the habit of writing multi-quote posts in parts as a result.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It isn't the end of the known world that the top posters list isn't currently available ;)

The forum team will fix whatever is causing the issues when they get time

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I wonder if the vBulletin is anything to do with the problem as two comparable websites currently show the following information:-

RailUK Forums
vBulletin 3.8. 2005-2016

SkyScraper City
vBulletin 3.8.8.Beta 1. 2000-2017

That basically tells you that SkyScraper City are running a very new version of the software that hasn't yet been fully released for sale, so may still have bugs in it (the 'Beta' bit), but RailUK Forums are playing it safer and still using the older, but (hopefully) fully tested and bug-free version of vBulletin.

So that seems unlikely to be related to the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.