• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driving mountain passes. Over or under?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would suggest that this is unlikely with modern cars. The internal friction of the drivetrain has come down so much that the effect of engine braking is much reduced.

It doesn't come from the internal friction of the drivetrain, rather it comes from the compression of air in the cylinders (you are basically just doing the "suck, squeeze" bit and not the "bang, blow" bit). As a result diesels tend to have more engine braking than petrols - but yes, I can confirm it does still work, at least with my 1.5TDCi Ford Kuga.

Doesn't tend to work with an auto, I'll give you. Should work again with hybrids as they can use regen to generate the resistance and charge the battery too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
It doesn't come from the internal friction of the drivetrain, rather it comes from the compression of air in the cylinders (you are basically just doing the "suck, squeeze" bit and not the "bang, blow" bit). As a result diesels tend to have more engine braking than petrols - but yes, I can confirm it does still work, at least with my 1.5TDCi Ford Kuga.

Doesn't tend to work with an auto, I'll give you. Should work again with hybrids as they can use regen to generate the resistance and charge the battery too.

The engine braking on my 1.8 petrol is very weak, I only use it to drop from 40 to 30 for example. I use the physical brakes in literally every other circumstance.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

Geared braking in my DSG Golf is fantastic and scares the old biddies outside the grocers when I drop to 1st at 29 and the RPM rises to 5500!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.