• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dutch Trains and Trams

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good Morning,

I just came back from a few days in The Netherlands and whilst there I needed to travel from Amsterdam to Rotterdam, as I did not have too much time, I chose to travel on the High Speed Line, saving af about 30 minutes over the traditional route via the Hague. There was a small supplement to pay, just under 5 Euros. I thought that they had special High Speed Trains for that route, but in both directions, it was an IC type train, 2 firts class, 4 second class carriages, top & tailed by Electric Locos. Very good running and timings, I did find that the front 2nd class coach in bother directions were much less busy than the rest of the train.

Also when I was being taken back to AMS Airport by coach, we went past Amsterdam RAI & Zuid Stations, which seemed to have 3rd rail Metro, NS main line and Trams all parallel with each other. I wondered if the tram was either running on battery or 3rd rail? as it's pantographs were down and there was no overhead wires for it, but it was certainly in passenger service?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quakkerillo

Originally, they planned on running with special high-speed trains, and ended up with the famous FYRA/V250 trains made by AnsaldoBreda which were taken out of service just months after their introduction due to too many failures leading to them being banned in Belgium (they were also used on Amsterdam-Brussels services). Currently, new trains are being constructed that go only 200km/h to run all of those services, and the current operations are actually more of a stop-gap procedure. https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercity_Nieuwe_Generatie
But I believe they've not announced what stock will run Amsterdam-Brussels, although technically they could make these trains work there apparently.

What you saw at Amsterdam Zuid was just train and metro; the tram you saw with pantograph down is actually Metro/Sneltram 51 to Amstelveen, which runs as metro from Amsterdam Zuid into town with 3rd rail, and as tram from Amsterdam Zuid into Amstelveen using the overhead wires. In-between metro/tram lightrail option.

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Originally, they planned on running with special high-speed trains, and ended up with the famous FYRA/V250 trains made by AnsaldoBreda which were taken out of service just months after their introduction due to too many failures leading to them being banned in Belgium (they were also used on Amsterdam-Brussels services). Currently, new trains are being constructed that go only 200km/h to run all of those services, and the current operations are actually more of a stop-gap procedure. https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercity_Nieuwe_Generatie
But I believe they've not announced what stock will run Amsterdam-Brussels, although technically they could make these trains work there apparently.

What you saw at Amsterdam Zuid was just train and metro; the tram you saw with pantograph down is actually Metro/Sneltram 51 to Amstelveen, which runs as metro from Amsterdam Zuid into town with 3rd rail, and as tram from Amsterdam Zuid into Aalsmeer using the overhead wires. In-between metro/tram lightrail option.

Many thanks for clarifying, I thought that may be the case in both queries.

Groningen

Established Member
Aalsmeer = Amstelveen; in future extended to Uithoorn

Nicest thing is that terminus Amstelveen Binnenhof is not directly connected to the busstation of Amstelveen. One has to walk 600 meters or use busline 171.

MisterT

Many thanks for clarifying, I thought that may be the case in both queries.
I just saw this video in my recommended video feed on YouTube.
In case you like cab rides, this is the view the train drivers have from the cab between Amsterdam and Rotterdam (and Breda) :)

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers

What you saw at Amsterdam Zuid was just train and metro; the tram you saw with pantograph down is actually Metro/Sneltram 51 to Amstelveen, which runs as metro from Amsterdam Zuid into town with 3rd rail, and as tram from Amsterdam Zuid into Amstelveen using the overhead wires. In-between metro/tram lightrail option.

The ICNG mock-up is an interesting thing. Apparently it’s an Alstom Coradia but the nose looks very Talgo-like.

Groningen

Established Member
The Thalys to and from Amsterdam to Brussel can also be found on Youtube. Even Eindhoven - Den Haag via the HSL can be found there.

Status
Not open for further replies.