• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dutch Trams

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Hi, I may be having some spare time in Amsterdam and or the Hague for 1 day in a month or so. Can you buy with cash, tram tickets on the day to the tram drivers? Are there day passes as well as singles? Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexNL

Established Member
Buying on board is severely discouraged. More and more operators are going cashless (if they haven't done so already) and you can only buy a limited range of products (e.g. a single ride or 1 hour ticket) at high prices. You're better off buying before you board.

The operators for the 4 major cities:
Amsterdam: GVB
The Hague: HTM
Rotterdam: RET
Utrecht: U-OV

Jordeh

The HTM app for the Hague has English and allows you to purchase 1 hour tickets and day tickets (I am slightly biased seeing as I work for the company that develops it!)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Ok, thank you for these replies, I shall see what I can find out. (There appears to be a lot of new work going on with the trams in The Hague.)

AlexNL

Established Member
In my experience English is universally spoken in the Netherlands,
English is taught in primary school, and our tv networks don't dub movies or series (except for shows aimed at young children). :)

Class45

HTM have an enquiry office on the concourse at Den Haag Centraal station where you can buy a day ticket.

delticdave

Very widely spoken, yes. Universally, no. Try going to Friesland, some there are reluctant to speak Dutch, never mind English!
My (Dutch) brother-in-law moved from Den Haag to Groningen for a year & had the same problem!
He's now happily retired to Milsbeek (North Limburg) & has no desire to venture north again.

FWIW, most of the customer-facing people on NL public transport are happy to help & will speak English.
'Tis a long time ago but i was reading a recruitment advert from NS for Train conductors, which stated that the training course would include English lessons if required.

Enjoy your travelling. DC

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
My (Dutch) brother-in-law moved from Den Haag to Groningen for a year & had the same problem!
He's now happily retired to Milsbeek (North Limburg) & has no desire to venture north again.

FWIW, most of the customer-facing people on NL public transport are happy to help & will speak English.
'Tis a long time ago but i was reading a recruitment advert from NS for Train conductors, which stated that the training course would include English lessons if required.

Enjoy your travelling. DC
Many thanks, looks like it will be fine, I am just awaiting to find out where the canal cruiser that I will be arriving in Amsterdam, will berth. Not sure how central they can come. I have emailed the organiser to try to find out.

dutchflyer

Established Member
The city/port of AMSterdam can only be approached via 2 ways-west or east, (canal-cruise ist mostly used for the numerous 1 hr ''cruises'' in flat-bottomed glassed touristy boats-there are hundreds of departures daily all year), and most likely yours is from the east-germany?-and will then berth at somewhere east of Central Station. There is also a huge Cruiseliner terminal (only used by those big sea-going vessels), around 1 km east of CS-tram stop 26 nearby (this is the most overloaded line of all GVB and due for big expansion/extension).
GVB offers 1 hr tickets for 3 € (this means you can cram in as much as you can manage of GVB-only blue/white metro/tram/bus-time of ''check in'' counts only-can end trip after the 1 hr. limit and ditto for 24 hrs and 48/72 etc. NO MORE cash taken-only cards for payment (trams have conductors sitting in a booth at the back). Daytickets must be bought advance.
HTM has 1 hr tickets and daytickets (NOT for 24 hrs)-same principle. Drivers only sell singles, no more cash taken.
Yes, being Dutch I am most aware that there is -in touristy fora and also here- a long standing warning that we Dutch dont take the usual cred-cds you Brits like to use-this is NOT the case for payments on bus/tram. Most of these new machines work also with contactless payments, but this may for now be only for Dutch cards, I think. Others need to use the old-style PIN. In that respect its thus more advanced and customer-friendly as what London buses can do. You still get an actual ticket with any payment. By GVB you still also need to checkin+out (touch in oyster language) with every trip made with it.

radamfi

Established Member
The symbols at the bottom of this page suggest that GVB accept a wide variety of cards on buses. Everything I can think of with the exception of American Express. Buses have stopped accepting cash payment since last July.

https://en.gvb.nl/reizen/cashloos-ov/geen-contant-geld-meer-de-bus

Trams still accept cash, except on tram 26, but soon won't. But as with buses you will still be able to buy a ticket with a bank card. This says you can buy day tickets with a bank card (including contactless) on tram 26, so presumably you can use the same cards as accepted on the bus.

https://over.gvb.nl/nieuws/pinnen-de-tram-aanloop-naar-cashloos-ov

It doesn't say that all trams accept cards yet but it sounds like they are being rolled out as we speak. So maybe when rollout is complete you will be able to buy a day ticket with a card on all trams.

The ticket machines in metro stations (including the one at Amsterdam CS) accept Visa and Mastercard issued by British banks and you can get a day ticket there as well.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The city/port of AMSterdam can only be approached via 2 ways-west or east, (canal-cruise ist mostly used for the numerous 1 hr ''cruises'' in flat-bottomed glassed touristy boats-there are hundreds of departures daily all year), and most likely yours is from the east-germany?-and will then berth at somewhere east of Central Station. There is also a huge Cruiseliner terminal (only used by those big sea-going vessels), around 1 km east of CS-tram stop 26 nearby (this is the most overloaded line of all GVB and due for big expansion/extension).
GVB offers 1 hr tickets for 3 € (this means you can cram in as much as you can manage of GVB-only blue/white metro/tram/bus-time of ''check in'' counts only-can end trip after the 1 hr. limit and ditto for 24 hrs and 48/72 etc. NO MORE cash taken-only cards for payment (trams have conductors sitting in a booth at the back). Daytickets must be bought advance.
HTM has 1 hr tickets and daytickets (NOT for 24 hrs)-same principle. Drivers only sell singles, no more cash taken.
Yes, being Dutch I am most aware that there is -in touristy fora and also here- a long standing warning that we Dutch dont take the usual cred-cds you Brits like to use-this is NOT the case for payments on bus/tram. Most of these new machines work also with contactless payments, but this may for now be only for Dutch cards, I think. Others need to use the old-style PIN. In that respect its thus more advanced and customer-friendly as what London buses can do. You still get an actual ticket with any payment. By GVB you still also need to checkin+out (touch in oyster language) with every trip made with it.

The canal trip I am hoping to do is a one week cruise around the rivers/canals/lakes of the Netherlands, I think we will be arriving from the North Direction, stop before Amsterdam is Hoorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.