• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

E-Tickets v Print at Home Tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
Hull Trains offers both options. They say that e-tickets are stored in the phone app. Just to clarify, if I choose e-ticket there is no PDF and if for some reason my phone isn't working then I'm stuffed?
I know that P@H is a PDF than can either be printed off or stored on a phone/tablet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If it's a genuine e-ticket, it will be available as a PDF

However it's not been unknown for train companies to erroneously refer to m-tickets as e-tickets.

I buy my tickets through Trainsplit to avoid this problem (and benefit from seat selection)

westv

Established Member
In their T&Cs it says the e-ticket is only viewable via the app. They also claim the P@H must be printed to be valid.

I would have gone via the LNER website ( as I'm using that for my LNER services) but for some reason they don't offer any AP tickets for the HT service I want after 6/10 whereas HTs website goes into December.

Edit:

For P@H:-
"Once a booking is confirmed, a link to the secure e-ticket will be sent to your email address, which you print off. You also have the option to log into the 'My Account' section of the website and print off the ticket from there. When traveling, you must have the printed e-ticket and chosen form of ID."

When I click on "more info" for the e-ticket the page is now blank with nothing on it.

Confusingly if I go to the T&Cs page it refers to M-tickets delivered to your mobile phone and says you have to contact web support if you need to amend them.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
the LNER website but for some reason they don't offer any AP tickets for the HT service I want after 6/10 whereas HTs website goes into December.
The problem with not having industry standard booking horizons!
For P@H:-
"Once a booking is confirmed, a link to the secure e-ticket will be sent to your email address, which you print off. You also have the option to log into the 'My Account' section of the website and print off the ticket from there. When traveling, you must have the printed e-ticket and chosen form of ID."

When I click on "more info" for the e-ticket the page is now blank with nothing on it.
An e-ticket that must be printed isn't an eTicket. Could it be that the absence of 'more info' is because they've confused themselves?

westv

Established Member
I think the FAQ might have made things clearer.
It says the e-ticket will be downloaded to your phone and you will also get a PDF with the confirmation email.

Last edited:

Wallsendmag

Established Member
There are actually three fulfiment methods being discussed here eTicket , mTicket and Self Print. eTicket is by far the best as in it's true form you don't need an app, you can print it, show it as a PDF or put it in a digital wallett. mTickets are tried to apps. Self Print needs putting down as it's the least customer friendly smart fulfilment type

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There are actually three fulfiment methods being discussed here eTicket , mTicket and Self Print. eTicket is by far the best as in it's true form you don't need an app, you can print it, show it as a PDF or put it in a digital wallett. mTickets are tried to apps. Self Print needs putting down as it's the least customer friendly smart fulfilment type

To be honest, all electronic fulfilment methods other than e-ticket need binning off. There is really no need for them and they are customer unfriendly.

westv

Established Member
The problem with not having industry standard booking horizons!
It can't be anything to do with booking horizons as they are selling their own AP tickets for the route up until December but not HTs ones even though HTs are.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It can't be anything to do with booking horizons as they are selling their own AP tickets for the route up until December but not HTs ones even though HTs are.
It is. The complications of trying to set and maintain booking horizons for multiple operators is beyond us. It would be a full time job. It would also results in many journeys only becoming available in mysteriously appearing instalments. As it stands we can restrict 'early' sales to our own direct services and, at the same time, take full responsibility for any subsequent changes to our own services. Meanwhile Hull Trains can do the same.

mirodo

The e-ticket is available to view from within the Hull Trains app, but it can’t be added to the mobile wallet on iOS.

B519DF82-3235-4BA7-B1CB-BC397DEFF435.jpeg

It is also emailed as a printable PDF

70E37196-33B0-41CA-812A-25421815F809.jpeg

mirodo

Annoying though, that they don’t allow it to be added to the Apple Wallet. It’s a bit of a faff to have to unlock your phone, open the app and then access the ticket, rather than access it directly from the lock screen (as is possible with ticket booked via other retailers - LNER and Trainline, for example).

_toommm_

Established Member
Annoying though, that they don’t allow it to be added to the Apple Wallet. It’s a bit of a faff to have to unlock your phone, open the app and then access the ticket, rather than access it directly from the lock screen (as is possible with ticket booked via other retailers - LNER and Trainline, for example).
It’s basically the same as the rest of the First Group apps then.

Not sure why they offer an option to specifically print it at home, when you can print off an e-ticket if you’re worried about your phone dying or something else.

westv

Established Member
Not sure why they offer an option to specifically print it at home, when you can print off an e-ticket if you’re worried about your phone dying or something else.
I wondered that too - which is partly why I ended up confused as to which one to go for.

plugwash

Established Member
I suspect it's a case of a website being designed in the times of m-tickets and oldschool print at home tickets and then updated poorly for the transition to e-tickets.

Roast Veg

Established Member
I hope you don't mean this! https://www.stagecoachgroup.com/~/m...ia/publication-internal-newspaper/issue64.pdf

A sticky problem in Chesterfield is being tackled with a little help from Stagecoach. Working with Chesterfield Borough Council, the company has launched ‘Sticket’ – a bus ticket passengers are encouraged to use for their unwanted chewing gum. The problem was highlighted recently with the removal of more than 2,000 pieces of gum from a 100-square metre area of the town. Early indications are that the ‘Stick it in a ticket then bin it!’ campaign is proving to be a great success. Stagecoach Operations Director Richard Kay said: “People often just throw their used ticket away so we thought it would be great to offer people a use for them which will help keep our streets, buses and town cleaner and more pleasant.”

_toommm_

Established Member
It's a sticker that you stick to your forehead, so even if you are fast asleep or have your hands full passing a barrier your ticket can be scanned. Clever stuff.

Is it not a smart chip that is located in whichever arm you’ve had your jab? After two weeks your whole body becomes an NFC antenna and the barrier just opens when you get near it.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Not yet I'm afraid
Then I think it would have been better if you hadn't mentioned it at all, especially when it gives rise to dangerous nonsense such as this:
Is it not a smart chip that is located in whichever arm you’ve had your jab? After two weeks your whole body becomes an NFC antenna and the barrier just opens when you get near it.

Status
Not open for further replies.