• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ealing Broadway Validators

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Can confirm they’ve been removed, and the purple readers by the District line stairs are now switched off.

Bit of a silly decision from TfL. I had to go all the way up to the ticket hall with my bag, show them my ticket to exit the barriers and then turn straight back around and tap in.

Yep last time (which started this thread) I had to do the same thing with bemused looks. Didn’t think the validators on District line were pink though - just standard?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yep last time (which started this thread) I had to do the same thing with bemused looks. Didn’t think the validators on District line were pink though - just standard?
It's probably a conflation of pink/yellow and gate/validator.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
District ones were pink.
Not disputing what you say, but Ealing Broadway does not appear on https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay...rd-reader-when-changing-trains#on-this-page-1. I also had a case years ago where someone came from Southall, touched on the yellow validator (his description) at Ealing Broadway, changed to the DLR at Bank and was penalty fared because the DLR TSA didn't realise that the continuation exit at Ealing Broadway meant that the journey wasn't closed.

I would suggest that the advent of contactless means that a lot of the passengers who change there must now already be using PAYG.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Not disputing what you say, but Ealing Broadway does not appear on https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay...rd-reader-when-changing-trains#on-this-page-1. I also had a case years ago where someone came from Southall, touched on the yellow validator (his description) at Ealing Broadway, changed to the DLR at Bank and was penalty fared because the DLR TSA didn't realise that the continuation exit at Ealing Broadway meant that the journey wasn't closed.

I would suggest that the advent of contactless means that a lot of the passengers who change there must now already be using PAYG.

Likely true now but of course anyone Didcot Parkway - Reading and changing at Ealing Broadway would have no other option. Whilst the amount of people doing this is likely small, it's probably non-zero as well as those choosing for whatever reason some sort of stand-alone ticket.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I therefore wish I’d taken a photograph yesterday when I visually confirmed the colour of the two on platform 8

You’re right that the bridge over to P7/8 has a pink one (pictured) turned off - no idea how long this one has been turned off though. The one at the lower level next to P7 was definitely yellow.

Attachments

• 31120516-93BD-417D-914F-F3ABCA5234F4.jpeg
    31120516-93BD-417D-914F-F3ABCA5234F4.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 81

Acton1991

Reply from TfL below:

This is due to the ongoing works at works at the station. This is a temporary issue however I cannot give any timescale for their replacement. Unfortunately there were no other options when considering locations to facilitate the ongoing site works.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this is causing and we hope to have the readers back as soon as practically possible.

I can’t see why they’d remove these for station works…

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Reply from TfL below:

I can’t see why they’d remove these for station works…

The only reason I can think of is a canopy and/or the works in the old entrance and associated rewiring but that still seems odd.

su31

Unless it's a disused pink one, brought into Ealing as a replacement and due to be changed to a yellow one as spare parts maybe limited.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Unless it's a disused pink one, brought into Ealing as a replacement and due to be changed to a yellow one as spare parts maybe limited.
Possibly, or because there's some kind of mistake. The sticker on the validator is the same wording as what you see on a yellow one.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Possibly, or because there's some kind of mistake. The sticker on the validator is the same wording as what you see on a yellow one.
I have to say it looked rather battered and old.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’ve got an idea the underlying validator hardware is identical, they have a self adhesive label applied and how they appear to the system ie in/out/continuation/route validator is set up in software. So in theory a simple wrong label would be a quick thing to correct.

Dstock7080

Established Member

Attachments

• C34F5F3D-607A-42A7-9E81-55760671ADDB.jpeg
    C34F5F3D-607A-42A7-9E81-55760671ADDB.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 77
  • 4DC20737-DAB6-47CD-AB43-5927C745CB9C.jpeg
    4DC20737-DAB6-47CD-AB43-5927C745CB9C.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 77
Do you have a source for this?

I'm looking at the map and struggling to think what fares might have a cheaper option if you change at Ealing Broadway. Most local fares via there will assume changing there anyway.
Yes, but that source I can't share on a public forum. Lets just say I spend a lot of time there ;)

Dstock7080

Established Member
Power back on both on platform 8, but still closed.

Attachments

• 025C0C84-D3C6-43FD-9E09-14D689CAA59A.jpeg
    025C0C84-D3C6-43FD-9E09-14D689CAA59A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 56
  • CF09E958-7D7B-482A-8445-5F7D0B5C7754.jpeg
    CF09E958-7D7B-482A-8445-5F7D0B5C7754.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 56

matt_world2004

Established Member
I wonder if the validators are there because it will be quicker to go via Paddington to stations on the Wimbledon branch than going on the district line.. there would be no gateline to pass through to access the district line platforms when crossrail opens ( as you will be able to access them from the bakerloo.entrance to crossrail)

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I wonder if the validators are there because it will be quicker to go via Paddington to stations on the Wimbledon branch than going on the district line.. there would be no gateline to pass through to access the district line platforms when crossrail opens ( as you will be able to access them from the bakerloo.entrance to crossrail)
The more I think about it, the more I believe this is the case. I think there will be some major changes to default routes for journeys via Ealing Broadway in the March revision.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Pink validators to be commissioned at Ealing Broadway 12 June.
For Elizabeth <> District and
Central <> District change only.
located on bridge from ticket hall to District platforms and by access to platform 8.
No validators on Central platforms.

Last edited:

Travelentails

Hi all.

I'm one of the schmucks using a paper ticket from Maidenhead to Ealing Broadway then going out and back in the main gates to "tap on" to the central line.

Can anyone confirm if I'm able to start the contactless portion of my journey at Ealing Broadway by tapping in on one of the new pink readers? Or do they not register as the start of a journey?

Tapping out at the main gate on the way back is fine as it's much less of a faff as I go past it anyway. Would be good to know if the minor inconvenience on the way in is done with!

Thanks

Tester

Hi all.

I'm one of the schmucks using a paper ticket from Maidenhead to Ealing Broadway then going out and back in the main gates to "tap on" to the central line.

Can anyone confirm if I'm able to start the contactless portion of my journey at Ealing Broadway by tapping in on one of the new pink readers? Or do they not register as the start of a journey?

Tapping out at the main gate on the way back is fine as it's much less of a faff as I go past it anyway. Would be good to know if the minor inconvenience on the way in is done with!

Thanks
Yes, you can use a pink reader to enter, but not to exit - so the right way round for you!

If you don't know of it https://oysterfares.com/ is a treasure trove of useful information.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Can anyone confirm if I'm able to start the contactless portion of my journey at Ealing Broadway
When you say 'contactless' do you mean using a bank card or device, or do you mean using Oyster. Are you aware that you can use contactless PAYG from Maidenhead and thus not have to touch out and in at Ealing Broadway?

Travelentails

When you say 'contactless' do you mean using a bank card or device, or do you mean using Oyster. Are you aware that you can use contactless PAYG from Maidenhead and thus not have to touch out and in at Ealing Broadway?
I use my phone loaded with my bank card for the central line portion of my journey.

A peak paper ticket return from Maidenhead to Ealing Broadway with my 16-25 Railcard is currently £12.40, and then the tube to White City (my destination) is £1.70 each way (off peak), making total cost £15.80.

Using contactless all the way from Maidenhead to White City peak is £12.80, and off peak on the way home is £6.60, making total journey cost £19.40.

That's a £3.60 saving per day which adds up. The paper ticket was previously even cheaper, making even more savings.

Sometimes if I'm in a rush I do tap all the way, but when they removed the yellow reader on the central line platform it did somewhat feel like they were trying to force me into going fully contactless, which is ultimately a slightly more expensive journey.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, you can use a pink reader to enter, but not to exit - so the right way round for you!

If you don't know of it https://oysterfares.com/ is a treasure trove of useful information.
That's great news, will save me a bit of time each day. Thanks for your response, will check out the link you provided.

Either way I won't be using the reader tomorrow that's for sure!

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I use my phone loaded with my bank card for the central line portion of my journey.

A peak paper ticket return from Maidenhead to Ealing Broadway with my 16-25 Railcard is currently £12.40, and then the tube to White City (my destination) is £1.70 each way (off peak), making total cost £15.80.
If you have a Railcard then why do you use Contactless payment rather than an Oyster card with Railcard discount added?

rebmcr

Established Member

Using contactless all the way from Maidenhead to White City peak is £12.80, and off peak on the way home is £6.60, making total journey cost £19.40.

That's a £3.60 saving per day which adds up. The paper ticket was previously even cheaper, making even more savings.

Sometimes if I'm in a rush I do tap all the way, but when they removed the yellow reader on the central line platform it did somewhat feel like they were trying to force me into going fully contactless, which is ultimately a slightly more expensive journey.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

That's great news, will save me a bit of time each day. Thanks for your response, will check out the link you provided.

Either way I won't be using the reader tomorrow that's for sure!
I believe* if you use an Oyster rather than Apple Pay/Google Pay for the contactless portion, you can have your railcard loaded on to it, saving you even more.

* it has been some time since I was a 16-25 cardholder