• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheshire Bus News (was East Cheshire Bus News)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonic2009

Established Member
Northwich Guardian reporting new services to cover Route 4 Northwich and Route 7 Winsford

https://www.northwichguardian.co.uk/news/23456975.details-revealed-replacement-buses-arriva-closure/
A new service number N4 will operate hourly between Barnton, Winnington and Northwich. This service will extend to Leftwich and Kingsmead at certain times of the day and will also include journeys to Sir John Deane’s College for students.

A circular town service W7 in Winsford will operate between 9.30am and 2pm Monday to Friday starting at Winsford Library then on to Dene Drive, Mount Pleasant, Over and Grange residential areas.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

markymark2000

On Moderation
Comparing rail replacements, designated school services and public services is a bit like comparing apples, bananas and oranges. Rail replacement operators just have to operate the service to get paid, there's no incentive for them to ensure they are carrying as many passengers as possible.

On a public service there's usually regular drivers (who have an idea of normal numbers) and everyone scans or buys a ticket when boarding. Given Arriva were approached by the media regarding Pulsars leaving people behind and they didn't try to argue they were suitable, it suggests to me that the ticket machine data was recording figures that coincide with the bus being full. The Facebook posts (linked to above) suggest this has continued even after the media report.

When there's a higher than usual number of passengers on board a public service, from my experience, the driver checks before departing. Even going upstairs to check there's no unoccupied seats when it's a double decker.

If an afternoon bus leaves school children behind with the next bus not for an hour, most schools would send a teacher to check on the situation. They would ensure the bus is full and there's not a seat left empty because Katie doesn't want to sit next to the boy who fancies her, or anything similar.
The comparison was only meant to show that not all drivers know their capacity or count and so just judge it based off being 'the front of the bus is full' and when a proper count is done, you see there is a big difference.

I don't know if Arriva kept the counting feature on the Ticketer machine but if they did, they could be how they judge bus full but that also depends on the driver accurately counting people on and off.

Winnington already existed when you were born, unless you're the world's oldest man. You seem to be referring to what one property developer called their 'Winnington Village' development as Winnington. There's four proper bus stops in Winnington. The 4 route does now serve the new Winnington Village development. The bus does stop on these roads but it's on a Hail & Ride basis.
Winnington Village Development yes. As for the Hail and Ride, how many people actually know about that as from my experience when I have used it, no one has used it as no one in the development knew it was Hail and Ride.

markymark2000

On Moderation
The W7 is D&G
We may be seeing a revamp of the D&G running boards then for Wincham (Northwich) depot as the W7 slots nicely in between the college run. The John Dene run could interwork with the W7 and the Handforth Dean buses return to working with the 188 so then the 88/89 timetable can be improved. That would make a lot of people very happy.

The N4 is Warrington's Own Buses
Little bit surprising but then again, they take anything on emergency tender. I just hope the council checks the buses each day have an MOT!

daodao

Established Member
Little bit surprising but then again, they take anything on emergency tender. I just hope the council checks the buses each day have an MOT!
Why is it surprising for Warrington Buses to take on the Barnton service? D&G were clearly not interested in the route. Warrington Buses already operate the other bus service to Barnton and it isn't that far from Warrington. Why the sarcasm? In general (bar the lapse you alluded to), Warrington Buses are well run.

northwichcat

Winnington Village Development yes. As for the Hail and Ride, how many people actually know about that as from my experience when I have used it, no one has used it as no one in the development knew it was Hail and Ride.

There's 4 stopping places marked on Google Maps, complete with the times. These also come up if you search for bus times on Traveline or other similar sites.

New houses aren't cheap, so it might be there aren't many carless households in a new housing development.

The lack of MOTs was a one-off due to someone getting confused about the special rules that applied during COVID. Once the issue was spotted they loaned in vehicles to cover for the ones that shouldn't be on the road.

Other than the 48 I don't recall Warrington's Own Buses taking on any emergency tenders in Cheshire. When GHA Coaches collapsed they didn't do anything other than revert their Northwich to Warrington timetable back to what it was before GHA started the bus war. At that point the Cheshire councils were desperate and were begging operators to provide anything they could to help out. We even had Stagecoach Manchester running down to Macclesfield for a few weeks.

Why is it surprising for Warrington Buses to take on the Barnton service? D&G were clearly not interested in the route.

It might be D&G would like the route on a contracted basis but it's not practical for them at the moment, due to how many vehicles and drivers they need to source in a relatively short time frame.

Last edited:

markymark2000

On Moderation
There's 4 stopping places marked on Google Maps, complete with the times. These also come up if you search for bus times on Traveline or other similar sites.
Google maps and all journey planners often have stops in the wrong place though due to poor entries in the relevant database. Unless it is specifically promoted as hail and ride, people don't tend to trust it and I know that I certainly wouldn't. Not least because in established Hail and Ride areas, there tends to be bus stops which everyone sticks to, they are just kept unmarked because to formalise a bus stop means it has to comply with the most recent rules about being so far from junctions etc etc.

New houses aren't cheap, so it might be there aren't many carless households in a new housing development.
That's fine then, let's build car dependency into all new developments and have done with buses in a few years!?!?

New developments can have people using buses if the buses work for the people living there. Plenty of developments prove that. Your arguement is flawed.

Other than the 48 I don't recall Warrington's Own Buses taking on any emergency tenders in Cheshire.
I've never specifically said them taking on emergency tenders in Cheshire. You added that bit. They took on Merseyside's 144 emergency tender as well as took on various Halton tenders on emergency contracts when Halton Transport ceased. They had a few Manchester emergency tenders too.

Cheshire don't tend to put many emergency tenders out to be fair so naturally, they won't have gone for much.

sonic2009

Established Member
Care to elaborate?

See post in Facebook Closed Group from Andrew Cooper who is a local Councillor.

Really pleased to report that CW&C have stepped in and saved the No. 4 bus service from Leftwich-Winnington-Barnton, after Arriva have confirmed they're pulling out.

The contract has gone to Warrington's Own Buses, which is a publicly owned company, who will take over immediately and switch to using electric buses from early next year.

The No. 4 is a really important route serving the Leftwich schools, John Deane's College and the Victoria Infirmary. It is one of only two routes that goes to Winnington.

We need a functioning, reliable bus service that's affordable, and we really need a devolution deal to get it, but keeping this route going and with a publicly owned provider is a step in the right direction.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230415_160016_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230415_160016_Facebook.jpg
    778.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited by a moderator:

northwichcat

That's fine then, let's build car dependency into all new developments and have done with buses in a few years!?!?

1. I didn't say all households are carless.
2. You haven't confirmed how many times you've travelled that way and whether it's been on different times and different days. All I can conclude from what you've posted is not every journey picks up or drops off on that road. The same could be said for other housing estates served by buses.

New developments can have people using buses if the buses work for the people living there. Plenty of developments prove that. Your arguement is flawed.

There's different types of developments and they are different distances from town centres. Perhaps you could give an example of one almost identical to Winnington Village to back up your claim?

I've never specifically said them taking on emergency tenders in Cheshire. You added that bit.

You said "they take anything on emergency tender."

The way I interpret anything would include Cheshire, Greater Manchester and Merseyside tenders, if it's not too far from their depot.

Cheshire don't tend to put many emergency tenders out to be fair so naturally, they won't have gone for much.

Excluding Halton, there's been quite a few in recent years, even if there's not been much in the past couple.

289 Altrincham to Northwich
88 Altrincham to Knutsford
200 Manchester Airport to Wilmslow
300 Knutsford circular evening service
48 Northwich to Frodsham
47 Warrington to Lymm

If we also consider that 288 Altrincham to Manchester Airport has gone to an emergency tender more than once, they aren't getting the majority. They just took on the 47 and 48.

See post in Facebook Closed Group from Andrew Cooper who is a local Councillor.

It's not a closed group. Anyone with a Facebook account can view it

Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member
Doesn’t mention service 7 though.
I was just confirming service 4. Not 7.

1. I didn't say all households are carless.
2. You haven't confirmed how many times you've travelled that way and whether it's been on different times and different days. All I can conclude from what you've posted is not every journey picks up or drops off on that road. The same could be said for other housing estates served by buses.

There's different types of developments and they are different distances from town centres. Perhaps you could give an example of one almost identical to Winnington Village to back up your claim?

You said "they take anything on emergency tender."

The way I interpret anything would include Cheshire, Greater Manchester and Merseyside tenders, if it's not too far from their depot.

Exclusing Halton, there's been quite a few in recent years, even if there's not been much in the past couple.

48 Northwich to Frodsham
47 Warrington to Lymm

If we also consider that 288 Altrincham to Manchester Airport has gone to an emergency tender more than once, they aren't getting the majority. They just took on the 47 and 48.

It's not a closed group. Anyone with a Facebook account can view it

Apologies I thought it was closed.

RELL6L

I think taking the 4 is quite sensible for Warrington. I imagine they will interwork with the Cat9, they’ll have to send a bus out and back at the start and finish but no other need for driver relief trips or breaks. Unless they are desperately short of drivers or vehicles they’ll barely notice.

ShaunyFlynn

Every route that Arriva is withdrawing from the 24th has now has some sort of replacement. Some routes being taken over on a new timetable (e.g. 1, 3, N4, 10) and some routes being re-routed and/or amalgamated (e.g. 14, 19, 31, 37).

The only route that hasn’t been covered is the 5&6 in Macclesfield. I suppose you could say the weekday only morning 6 in Macclesfield has been replaced on the Upton Priory as the first 19 of the day will run to the bus station around the same time the 6 does, but apart from that, the last buses to the Weston & Upton Priory are at 17:35 & 17:40 respectively.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Excluding Halton, there's been quite a few in recent years, even if there's not been much in the past couple.

48 Northwich to Frodsham
47 Warrington to Lymm

Just because they haven't won, doesnt mean they didn't bid. Warrington is one of those firms, always bid, even if a silly price. If you win, bonus you're earning silly money for it, if you lose, it's no loss.

They will almost always bid for emergency tenders anywhere that is within neighbouring authorities.

sonic2009

Established Member
So just 6 days left of Arriva operations in the area. Does anyone know what the plans are for D&G with regards to buses coming in?

SeanM1997

So just 6 days left of Arriva operations in the area. Does anyone know what the plans are for D&G with regards to buses coming in?
I had heard a rumour the Adderley Green depot have acquired some double deckers for the 16 and X41 routes, which could relieve some buses for the new Macclesfield services (which are registered on VOSA in the West Midlands region). Not completely sure if 100% true or not just what I've heard

SSmith2009

I had heard a rumour the Adderley Green depot have acquired some double deckers for the 16 and X41 routes, which could relieve some buses for the new Macclesfield services (which are registered on VOSA in the West Midlands region). Not completely sure if 100% true or not just what I've heard
Centrebus have had some changes in Leicester which should've freed up at least 6 vehicles, maybe these will come over in the short term?

daodao

Established Member

New developments can have people using buses if the buses work for the people living there. Plenty of developments prove that. Your argument is flawed.
Unfortunately for advocates of public transport, people vote with their feet (or in this instance their cars). Cheshire, and for that matter, most of the outer southern part of Greater Manchester that was formerly in Cheshire, is not good bus territory due to the relatively low population density. Hence Arriva's departure. There are extensive new developments, e.g. on the northern and western edges of Congleton and on the former Woodford aerodrome, that are essentially devoid of public transport. Most people who can afford to live in such places can afford a sufficient number of cars that they don't need buses. That is the future outside densely populated inner city areas, and the only major change will be how cars are powered.

Most local authorities try to ensure that there is at least minimal bus provision to urban areas Mon-Fri 0700-1900 and Saturdays 0800-1800. Both Cheshire East and West Councils, and bus companies in particular D&G, should be commended for ensuring that this appears to have been achieved before Arriva actually withdraw their bus services.

Last edited:

markymark2000

On Moderation
Unfortunately for advocates of public transport, people vote with their feet (or in this instance their cars). Cheshire, and for that matter, most of the outer southern part of Greater Manchester that was formerly in Cheshire, is not good bus territory due to the relatively low population density. Hence Arriva's departure. There are extensive new developments, e.g. on the northern and western edges of Congleton and on the former Woodford aerodrome, that are essentially devoid of public transport. Most people who can afford to live in such places can afford a sufficient number of cars that they don't need buses. That is the future outside densely populated inner city areas, and the only major change will be how cars are powered.
But where there are viable alternatives provided, people can and do choose buses. Yes there are other factors to take into account but to paraphrase what you have said Cheshire is bad bus territory and so no one should try to provide buses, that is simply wrong. Saighton Camp near Chester was proof of this before Stagecoach dropped the frequency and made a colossal mess of a timetable. While cars will always exit, people can and do use buses to/from new developments if there is a proper bus service linking those people to where they want to go. Even in dying towns like Andover, they have at 2 decent sized developments with proper bus services (Picket Twenty and East Anton). Didcot has large developments with buses which people are using. There is big potential if the buses are in place and people are given a choice.

Any new development should, at bare minimum, have S106 funding (developer funding) requested for a bus service. The only cost to the council for this bus service then is the tendering process (though I believe the developers can take charge of that if they wish). If people don't use it after the development is pretty much occupied then there is reasonable argument to suggest that there is little potential for buses. If a bus is never there though, people are forced into their car. Sadly in Cheshire, the councils don't want buses, they won't ask for proper funding or demand proper infrastructure is put into place to accommodate buses.

Local authorities' duty is to ensure that there is at least minimal bus provision to urban areas Mon-Fri 0700-1900 and Saturdays 0800-1800. Both Cheshire East and West Councils, and bus companies in particular D&G, should be commended for ensuring that this appears to have been achieved before Arriva actually withdraw their bus services.
Local authorities have no legal obligation to fund any local buses and that is why they are so poorly funded in many areas because there are areas which have to have funding.

As for praise, I have previously praised D&G for taking on much of the network. As for the councils, I don't think that there is much to praise. Well done for continually failing buses that much that one of the main operator decides to shut up shop. Well done for constantly pushing pro car, anti bus policies so that bus patronage falls to such a level that one of the biggest bus operators closes a depot. They may have dealt with the fallout in a reasonable way but why should they be praised when their actions have directly contributed to lower bus patronage which has led to this happening! (Arriva are also to blame but at the same time, there is only so much they can do when they are fighting against councils who are pro car)

A0wen

On Moderation
But where there are viable alternatives provided, people can and do choose buses.

Only in the cities or heavily populated suburbs.

Cheshire is not unique - bus usage in counties which immediately surround London, in the way Cheshire surrounds Manchester, is equally low. Rural areas of Hertfordshire, Essex, Kent, Sussex and Buckinghamshire all have low bus usage.

If you pick other 'rural' counties, such as Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire or Norfolk, you see the same behaviour. In Northampton a number of the town services justify 4 buses an hour, 6 days a week, 12 hours a day - yet stray as little as 5 miles outside Northampton and you've got places with no buses or 1 or 2 a day. Same true in Norfolk - Norwich sustains high bus use, the rural areas not so.

Even in dying towns like Andover, they have at 2 decent sized developments with proper bus services (Picket Twenty and East Anton). Didcot has large developments with buses which people are using. There is big potential if the buses are in place and people are given a choice.

They have a "proper" bus service for now, probably funded by S106 funding. But when that funding ends if the usage isn't strong, those routes will be reduced. And you make a blithe remark that "people are using" these services - where's your evidence ? You've seen the passenger figures from the operators ? You've been there for several days undertaking passenger usage surveys ? (I'm going to bet not).

northwichcat

Looking at what's on those services today it looks like a mix of Solos and big Enviros. If these aren't the routes where they are currently using their biggest buses, like the Versas and Metrocities, why would they be the first ones to get upgraded to larger vehicles?

While the new and revised Macclesfield services (exc. the 38) will need a few extra vehicles, it's likely any of their vehicles would at least let everyone get on board. On the other hand, the 31, 37 and revised 38 are the ones where it won't be a case of any vehicle will do and they may need to allocate large vehicles (at least to certain journeys) to ensure everyone gets on.

It might also make sense for D&G to apply some route branding to some of the vehicles. Some Northwich passengers probably don't realise the 82 parts duplicates the 1 route, or might get confused with other routes being re-routed.

Most local authorities try to ensure that there is at least minimal bus provision to urban areas Mon-Fri 0700-1900 and Saturdays 0800-1800. Both Cheshire East and West Councils, and bus companies in particular D&G, should be commended for ensuring that this appears to have been achieved before Arriva actually withdraw their bus services.

You can bet that if Handforth and Wilmslow were in Greater Manchester that the 312 would start at 07:00 and there would be late services between Handforth and Wilmslow via Colshaw Farm. TfGM seem happy spending their bus funds subsiding services in the affluent areas on the outskirts of Greater Manchester. Look at how much support they give to services serving Hale Barns.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Only in the cities or heavily populated suburbs.

Cheshire is not unique - bus usage in counties which immediately surround London, in the way Cheshire surrounds Manchester, is equally low. Rural areas of Hertfordshire, Essex, Kent, Sussex and Buckinghamshire all have low bus usage.

If you pick other 'rural' counties, such as Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire or Norfolk, you see the same behaviour. In Northampton a number of the town services justify 4 buses an hour, 6 days a week, 12 hours a day - yet stray as little as 5 miles outside Northampton and you've got places with no buses or 1 or 2 a day. Same true in Norfolk - Norwich sustains high bus use, the rural areas not so.
I am not talking about a little 3 house development in the middle of Tabley here, this is talking about larger developments which have a higher population density! Yes Cheshire as a whole may have lower population density and less people travelling on buses but within the towns, the usage isn't awful. Give people the choice and some of them will choose buses. How many people choose the bus has a lot of variable factors but if you don't put any service in, no one will travel by bus. Put the service in and you may get 1 person, you may get a 10 per trip. Too many variables but to provide nothing means no one will use it.

It's worth saying as well, this part of the discussion arose from Winnington URBAN village. Higher density, closer to a town and with a bus route which was easy to divert to serve the site at minimal cost. The only issue is bus stops (or lack thereof).

They have a "proper" bus service for now, probably funded by S106 funding. But when that funding ends if the usage isn't strong, those routes will be reduced. And you make a blithe remark that "people are using" these services - where's your evidence ? You've seen the passenger figures from the operators ? You've been there for several days undertaking passenger usage surveys ? (I'm going to bet not).
I did spend a good number of days in Andover actually with a friend who was a loan driver down there so we were travelling the various routes for a good number of days both in service and driving. Didcot I was basing it off the fact services seem to keep being expanded there and diverting through the developments

While the new and revised Macclesfield services (exc. the 38) will need a few extra vehicles, it's likely any of their vehicles would at least let everyone get on board. On the other hand, the 31, 37 and revised 38 are the ones where it won't be a case of any vehicle will do and they may need to allocate large vehicles (at least to certain journeys) to ensure everyone gets on.
D&Gs PVR will increase by 3 in Macclesfield locals, 1 in Northwich on the 1 and 6 on the 31/37. D&G has just saved on 1 bus with the reductions to the 316/318.

It might also make sense for D&G to apply some route branding to some of the vehicles. Some Northwich passengers probably don't realise the 82 parts duplicates the 1 route, or might get confused with other routes being re-routed.
If D&Gs track record is anything to go by, route branding will last all of about 3 months (based off the 38, 82 and 85). Not many routes seem to keep route branding with D&G.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Recently we've had a number of reports about this thread, mainly highlighting the issue that it's no longer a news thread and that there's too much long-winded discussion. With this in mind, I think it's time to draw it to a close.

Anyone who wishes to discuss any aspect of bus services in Cheshire is welcome to do so in a new thread, as and when there is something newsworthy to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.