• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast (125&225) Selective Door Operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASharpe

I regularly catch the East Coast train from Skipton to Kings Cross from Shipley platform 1. It's normally a 225 and everybody gets on via a local door either by the bridge or at the eastern end of the platform.

During the Northern strike on Friday I was pleased to find the 0717 service replaced by a HST.Most of us gathered in the usual spot but there were plenty of other people along the platform, and then to my SHOCK all of the doors opened.

How does SDO compare between 225s and 125s. Do 225s have less capability in this respect compared to the older 125s?

Hoping to catch another HST on Monday morning.
Aaron

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

superalbs

Established Member
I regularly catch the East Coast train from Skipton to Kings Cross from Shipley platform 1. It's normally a 225 and everybody gets on via a local door either by the bridge or at the eastern end of the platform.

During the Northern strike on Friday I was pleased to find the 0717 service replaced by a HST.Most of us gathered in the usual spot but there were plenty of other people along the platform, and then to my SHOCK all of the doors opened.

How does SDO compare between 225s and 125s. Do 225s have less capability in this respect compared to the older 125s?

Hoping to catch another HST on Monday morning.
Aaron

I don't think these have select door operations like the ones on the GWR do.

And I think maybe the same on XC too?

At Highland stations, there's quite a bit of overhang I believe.

najaB

Veteran Member
No SDO on EC's HSTs, just CDL.

(Is that a record for jargon density?)

ASharpe

No SDO on EC's HSTs, just CDL.

(Is that a record for jargon density?)

So were all of the doors unlocked rear of the platform?

The coaches certainly weren't locked OOU as I walked that way to get a seat.

And I think I noticed the orange lights were illuminated on the un platformed part of the train.

Crossover

Established Member
Yes, with VTEC on the routes north of Edinburgh, there is nothing to stop you opening a door that's not platformed. Same with EMT at the likes of Market Harborough and Langley Mill

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Why did VTEC never install SDO into their HSTs? Was it deemed to be not financially viable?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
How many "short" stations do EC call at? That's probably the answer. Any up the Aberdeen line? If not, then the reason they didn't is because it would be modifying a whole fleet for a single train each way per day (now two- Falkirk Grahamston is one of the short stations)

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, with VTEC on the routes north of Edinburgh, there is nothing to stop you opening a door that's not platformed.

And at a few other places south of Edinburgh too!

With varying degrees of certainty, the following come to mind:

Brough
Horsforth
Keighley
Lincoln Central
Selby
Shipley

xotGD

Established Member
They open all the doors on strike days because loads of extra passengers get on at Shipley. I'm expecting it to get rammed tomorrow morning.

Starmill

Veteran Member
They open all the doors on strike days because loads of extra passengers get on at Shipley. I'm expecting it to get rammed tomorrow morning.

I think you mean 'they use a train where it's permitted to open all of the doors on strike days'.

ASharpe

Thanks for all of the replies.

I will report back in the AM as to whether I get a Mallard or HST.

I guess there must be some compromise between having to shut all of the doors behind those who were born in fields and having everyone pile on through one door.

With a 225 I suppose it would be easy to push the button and step into the cess. But with a 125 reaching out of the window is involved and so anyone alighting is more likely to notice.

Of the list Ian XC gave which ones are electrified? Is it only Shipley and Selby?

Brough
Horsforth
Keighley
Lincoln Central
Selby
Shipley

Veteran Member
In any case the 0717 at Shipley is pick up only, and has been ever since it was introduced (as an HST). The evening equivalent doesn't call at all (though that may also be due to curvature on platform 2).

ASharpe

In any case the 0717 at Shipley is pick up only, and has been ever since it was introduced (as an HST). The evening equivalent doesn't call at all (though that may also be due to curvature on platform 2).
I think platform 2 is less curved and I reckon a bit longer too.

I've never understood the purpose of "pickup only" when not the last train of the day.

1D53

Established Member
VTEC have planned the Skipton to to be a HST for all strike days that reduce delays.

xotGD

Established Member
It is an HST this morning. Doors opened in 4 coaches at Shipley, I believe.While my estimate of 'rammed' was a bit OTT, it is certainly busier than normal. Good luck to all of the commuters on their return journey this evening.

Veteran Member
I think platform 2 is less curved and I reckon a bit longer too.

I've never understood the purpose of "pickup only" when not the last train of the day.

P2 is slightly less curved as it's on the outside (so radius is about 4m larger!) and a few metres longer.

So people didnt try to get off from the unplatformed part of the train AFAIK. Possibly the same at KLY though the platforms are much longer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.