• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Or MML Engineering works Aug Bank Holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good morning, feel free to move this into another section if necessary.

I may be going up to York to do a couple of main line steam train trips on the Sun & Mon of the August Bank Holiday weekend.

Does anyone know if there will be any engineering works that may affect my main line journeys up from Kings Cross to York & VV or from St. Pancras to Sheffield & cross country to York, going up on Sat 23 Aug and returning to London on Tues 26 Aug.

Do the EC slower and sometimes cheaper services which commence at York still depart around 1000 and 1200 on weekdays?

Also is there still a very slow but direct local service around Saturday lunchtime from Sheffield to York. I think by Northern trains?

Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mugby

Established Member
I used the slow train to York a while back, very nice it was too!

13.30 from Sheffield, usually a Cl.158 and quite lightly loaded. Interesting journey up through Pontefract and Ferrybridge.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Both ECML and MML are engineering free on the Saturday (daytime) / Tuesday.

There is work at KX on the Sunday.

Services for this weekend are live in realtraintimes.co.uk now

Yes the York - KX stoppers still leave at 1001 and 1201. EC do tend to run them on their bank holiday Monday timetable.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thank you for all the replies.

I will try EC first to see what their cheapest fares are, I have however, often found it cheaper though when travelling from London to York to go via MML/EMT via Sheffield, then change on XC to York, however the XC trains are always really crowded even with seat reservations I have had problems, so if I do go that way I would look at that 1330 Northern service, however their fares seem to be double the cost of XX so it maybe swings & roundabouts as the saying goes, although as is said above, the Northern Route is quite interesting for a change. Having said that, I think one of the steam trains I may be going on, travels over part of that route going from York, circling part of West Yorkshire before going through York again to Scarborough. I Think the other one to Carlisle goes part of that route too.

I prob will do the 1001 or 1201 York to KX Slow train as they seem to be cheaper and I have got the time to do that.

1D53

Established Member
I used the slow train to York a while back, very nice it was too!

13.30 from Sheffield, usually a Cl.158 and quite lightly loaded. Interesting journey up through Pontefract and Ferrybridge.

The 1329 from Sheffield and 1502 return are booked 144 traction.

ashworth

Established Member
That's great to know there's no major engineering works on the MML over the August Bank Holiday Weekend. I'd already booked a cheap advance deal for a week in a London Hotel and you never know when you do that whether rail travel will be easy. Need to travel down from Nottingham on Saturday 23rd August. I will therefore try to get some cheap advance rail tickets in the next week or so when they become available on the EMT website. I managed to get for £9 each way when I went down for the Spring Bank Holiday Week travelling midday on a Saturday each way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.