• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I know there is currently no answer to this, but after seeing https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/doo-why-in-some-places-and-not-others.206261/ it made me wonder: If/when this line is electrified, and presumably has 380/385s running on it, would the line also move over to DOO? Given that the 380 and the 385 both have body mounted CCTV which means platform monitors are not required, it would technically be very easy, but I wonder if any DOO expansion would be difficult even in a DOO area
It happened with Airdrie-Edinburgh but that was "merely" an extension of an existing DOO route, staffed by recruiting more staff onto DOO depots under longstanding DOO contracts. And that caused enough of a ruckus as it was.

I would say, never say never (cf the retrospectively trailblazing deal that GA thrashed out over the introduction of the Stadler Flirts). But it strikes me as suffirintly unlikely that a further extension of DOO will occur here, that you couldn't rely on resultant operational savings in any cost/benefit analysis. Of course in this case it appears electrification is (sensibly) a done deal, basically.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

66C

Wires going up to Barrhead first the easy bit. EK will take a little longer with the bridge works, platform extensions, double tracking and resignalling.

InOban

Established Member
I think that the DOO agreement covers the whole of Strathclyde. The problem with Airdrie to Bathgate was that it extends out of Strathclyde into Lothian.

route101

Established Member
Wires going up to Barrhead first the easy bit. EK will take a little longer with the bridge works, platform extensions, double tracking and resignalling.

Still not been officially confirmed yet.

Southsider

I don’t know if it’s electrification related or not, in fact I don’t know what it is but a grey box has been deposited next to the East Kilbride line near where it crosses the Neilston line. Any thoughts on what it is? It doesn’t look to be permanent as it’s sitting on some hardcore rather than a concrete plinth. Too big for a portaloo, rather small for a storage container.

Attachments

• 650425DA-80DF-491F-A7FC-71858B295FCB.jpeg
    650425DA-80DF-491F-A7FC-71858B295FCB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 136

route101

Established Member
Maybe because they are starting Ground Investigation works soon. Local councilor , Alastair Watson posted about this today on Facebook.

snookertam

OK I got fed up trawling through the documents, but from what I can see they only mention "Proposed capacity enhancement of route", I can see no mention of target frequency on each route. Can someone point me to the document that specifically mentions the 8 car EMUS and 4X hourly freq?
That was the lockdown timetable you’re quoting from. Usually there’s two trains per hour all stops from Central to Barrhead, and two trains per hour through to Kilmarnock.

LOM

I don’t know if it’s electrification related or not, in fact I don’t know what it is but a grey box has been deposited next to the East Kilbride line near where it crosses the Neilston line. Any thoughts on what it is? It doesn’t look to be permanent as it’s sitting on some hardcore rather than a concrete plinth. Too big for a portaloo, rather small for a storage container.
It is a welfare pod, i.e. toilet and washing facilities. They are being rolled out nationally with the idea that track workers should never be more than 10 miles from one. It is a national program to improve welfare provision for track workers which was basically nonexistent before. There is a bigger version too with mess and drying facilities based on a 40 foot container.

Last edited:

Southsider

It is a welfare pod, i.e. toilet and washing facilities. They are being rolled out nationally with the idea that track workers should never be more than 10 miles from one. It is a national program to improve welfare provision for track workers which was basically nonexistent before. There is a bigger version too with mess and drying facilities based on a 40 foot container.
Many thanks. The workers are back today installing a fence and access gate so more permanent than I thought.

mcmad

The welfare pod isn't anything to do with the electrification project, its part of a national programme to improve welfare facilities nationwide as LOM said above.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what the benefit is of having one 10 miles away. Nobody's going to drive 20 miles for a quick PNB or even for a meal break, and if they are not part of a specific worksite then there's no real reason for them to be at the lineside (a location of greater risk) except that NR doesn't have to buy the land. I suspect they will usually be found to be vandalized or otherwise unusable when actually needed.

Surely better to have mobile welfare facilities as many builders use, with the workers driving them to the site (probably all together subject to lifting of Covid regulations, saving vehicle-miles too)? I think this was the idea behind the old BR crew buses. Or if it's OK to drive a few miles, coming to an arrangement with a local hotel to cater for the workforce when necessary would be cheaper than installing and (probably not) maintaining a few hundred of these around the network.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what the benefit is of having one 10 miles away. Nobody's going to drive 20 miles for a quick PNB or even for a meal break, and if they are not part of a specific worksite then there's no real reason for them to be at the lineside (a location of greater risk) except that NR doesn't have to buy the land. I suspect they will usually be found to be vandalized or otherwise unusable when actually needed.

Surely better to have mobile welfare facilities as many builders use, with the workers driving them to the site (probably all together subject to lifting of Covid regulations, saving vehicle-miles too)? I think this was the idea behind the old BR crew buses. Or if it's OK to drive a few miles, coming to an arrangement with a local hotel to cater for the workforce when necessary would be cheaper than installing and (probably not) maintaining a few hundred of these around the network.

All those alternatives were investigated, and the pods were by far the best option. And you might be surprised that some people are willing to drive a 20 mile round trip (maximum) to use the loo, particularly the fairer sex, of which there are now more and more on track (and not before time).

Southsider

Confirmation of the next phase

Attachments

• 95207218-403C-4416-9084-BAC240595515.jpeg
    95207218-403C-4416-9084-BAC240595515.jpeg
    984.9 KB · Views: 188

Southsider

Seen that on FB. I do wonder what service enhancements we will see, i would like earlier and later services.
And three or four trains per hour would be great. I think six car services would be adequate in the medium term with eight car as a future aspiration.

InOban

Established Member
I am delighted to see such activities. It should mean that when actual civil engineering starts - bridge rebuilding, redoubling where necessary, never mind the piles and steelwork - there should be none of the surprises which have delayed other projects.

route101

Established Member
And three or four trains per hour would be great. I think six car services would be adequate in the medium term with eight car as a future aspiration.

Id like to see a service that gets you into Glasgow befoe 6am and a later service after midnight from Glasgow Central.

och aye

From the video, it sounds like it will be partial doubling of the line, as opposed to full doubling of it. Still, good to see some more information and progress.

The electrification of the East Kilbride to Glasgow Central line is part of the Scottish Government’s plans to decarbonise Scotland’s rail passenger services by 2035.

The ultimate goal is to run four trains per hour during peak times (07.00-10.00 and 16.00-19.00), with longer, quieter and greener trains providing a punctual and reliable service that will continue to make rail travel an attractive choice for passengers and reduce car usage to and from Glasgow.

Flexible options for a phased delivery

Options for the development cover the following infrastructure enhancements, delivery of which can be phased flexibly:

• Enhanced passenger facilities at East Kilbride station including a new building and improved circulation space
  • Greater collaboration with local authorities on development of active travel and enhanced park and ride options at stations on the route
  • More double tracking at the single-line section between East Kilbride and Busby station
  • Progress plans to relocate Hairmyres station to a new location approximately 600m to the west to provide better access to the rail network
  • Electrification between East Kilbride and Glasgow Central - including the Larkfield Curve - to reduce diesel emissions
  • Platform extensions to accommodate longer trains
  • Assessment of infrastructure requirements for battery-powered hybrid trains as an interim phase to full electrification which will improve performance, reliability and produce less emissions than other forms of transport such as the private car.

Meerkat

Established Member
They think electrification will take so long it might be worth an interim battery solution??!!
Would leaving some of it single mean the track can go through the centre of bridges and avoid reconstruction?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
They think electrification will take so long it might be worth an interim battery solution??!!
Would leaving some of it single mean the track can go through the centre of bridges and avoid reconstruction?

I think you'd be pushed to fit 4 tph without doubling a reasonable amount or at least extending the double track beyond Busby and lengthening the Hairmyres loop into a dynamic loop.

QueensCurve

Established Member

Andrew Haines' TARDIS?

Southsider

I think Hitachi have been pushing battery 385s towards Transport Scotland for some time and are probably looking for work for Newton Aycliffe so they may be available quite quickly. Once the line has been electrified they could be moved elsewhere such as the Fife Circle to reduce emissions there. It could even mean avoiding putting up wires on the Forth Bridge.

route101

Established Member

May take a while but its been confirmed. The 156s still adequate for time being.

From the video, it sounds like it will be partial doubling of the line, as opposed to full doubling of it. Still, good to see some more information and progress.

The peak freq is already approx 4x trains an hour . I would like to see earlier and later services. 2317 is way too early for last train.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Might be too soon to tell, but would this project result in ScotRail being able to get rid of some more 156s, or would the units made surplus by EMUs simply be deployed elsewhere?