• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates

A planning application has been submitted for OLE and platform extensions at Pollokshaws West station. Platforms will be extended by 36m/38m at the south end and 8m/11m at the north end:

21/01142/LBA | Installation of overhead line electrification steelwork and platform lengthening works. | Pollokshaws West Railwa

21/01142/LBA | Installation of overhead line electrification steelwork and platform lengthening works. | Pollokshaws West Railwa​

Wonder if they'll be lengthening all the rest of the platforms on the route? P'shaws West already easily accomodates a 6 car 156 formation so this lengthening suggests they're future proofing for 8 car EMUs!

Also noticed the piling has started between Kennishead and Busby junction when driving a Kilmarnock service yesterday. Good to see them making progress on the actual OHLE infrastructure.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Wonder if they'll be lengthening all the rest of the platforms on the route? P'shaws West already easily accomodates a 6 car 156 formation so this lengthening suggests they're future proofing for 8 car EMUs!

Also noticed the piling has started between Kennishead and Busby junction when driving a Kilmarnock service yesterday. Good to see them making progress on the actual OHLE infrastructure.

Yes, the plan is for a maximum 4tph 8x24m EMU service to East Kilbride.

route101

Established Member
A little confused is this section being used a test for OHLE and Piling before they commence further on East Kilbride branch?

59CosG95

Established Member
A little confused is this section being used a test for OHLE and Piling before they commence further on East Kilbride branch?
Based on the information by @380101, it's hard to tell where exactly the piles have been sunk in relation to Kennishead & Busby Jn. My guess is that they're closer to Busby Jn as the structures over the junction will most likely be full portals (rather than single track/twin track cantilever masts), which require that much more in terms of precision to install as they have very little margin for error with the foundation spacing.

Think the plan is to do the Barrhead line first. Leaving the station work on the East Kilbride stations to go ahead first.

However its currently only a contract to install mast bases. The main contract has yet to be let.

Southsider

Think the plan is to do the Barrhead line first. Leaving the station work on the East Kilbride stations to go ahead first.

However its currently only a contract to install mast bases. The main contract has yet to be let.
There’s also quite a few bridges to do on the EK branch with no sign yet of any planning applications.

Yes, the junction was doubled some time in the mid-2010s.
Here are a couple of photos of this junction taken in April. They might be useful for "before and after" comparisons later on.
Busby Junction 1.jpg

Busby Junction 2.jpg

I took the first one from the Cartcraigs Road pedestrian bridge (formerly used by Kennishead Road until the 1960's).
I assume that the project will replace this bridge:
Pedestrian Bridge at Cartcraigs Road.jpg

FJ

Based on the information by @380101, it's hard to tell where exactly the piles have been sunk in relation to Kennishead & Busby Jn. My guess is that they're closer to Busby Jn as the structures over the junction will most likely be full portals (rather than single track/twin track cantilever masts), which require that much more in terms of precision to install as they have very little margin for error with the foundation spacing.
This evening I took a walk past Busby Junction but I didn't see any piles.
However, overnight piles were delivered along part of the route (but not yet at Busby Junction).
Piles on both sides of the railway here suggest single track cantilevers at this location:
Piles showing their labels.jpg
Seven piles here, south of the bridge over Haggs Road:
Seven piles.jpg
Piles are in the distance, above the Pollokshaws Bowling Club:
Piles above the bowling club.jpg

Last edited:

Here are a couple of photos of this junction taken in April. They might be useful for "before and after" comparisons later on.
View attachment 95595

View attachment 95596

I took the first one from the Cartcraigs Road pedestrian bridge (formerly used by Kennishead Road until the 1960's).
I assume that the project will replace this bridge:
View attachment 95597

FJ

This evening I took a walk past Busby Junction but I didn't see any piles.
However, overnight piles were delivered along part of the route (but not yet at Busby Junction).
Piles on both sides of the railway here suggest single track cantilevers at this location:
View attachment 95942
Seven piles here, south of the bridge over Haggs Road:
View attachment 95943
Piles are in the distance, above the Pollokshaws Bowling Club:
View attachment 95944

There's piles inatalled on the Kennishead side of Busby Junction and they have dayglow orange safety covers fitted on them to prevent track workers falling down them.

The main construction yard has been established between Thornliebank and Giffnock on what was waste ground. Stacks of piles sitting there alongside portacabin offices and the road rail plant being used to install the piles.

On Sunday morning, the contractors drove in some of the piles that were lying beside the railway between the Pollokshaws Viaduct and the Haggs Road Under Bridge. They finished just short of the access point adjacent to the Haggs Road UB. Some of these piles were in the photographs I posted in post #283. Here is a photo taken today:
Piles driven on 16 May 2021.JPG
It is good to see work underway on the ground.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A reminder that this thread is to provide and discuss updates to the Infrastructure works on the East Kilbride and Barrhead electrification scheme.

For discussion on other related issues such as the potential rolling stock or whether the line could be extended please use these threads:

thank you

och aye

Planning application for platform extensions and overhead electrification equipment for Pollockshaws West. Some artist impressions are available in the documentation:

21/01142/LBA | Installation of overhead line electrification steelwork and platform lengthening works. | Pollokshaws West Railway Station Pollokshaws Road Glasgow G43 1AT

1622050202263.png

Southsider

waverley47

It is a truly impressive share of green.

In all seriousness, 8*23 is about as much future proofing you'd ever need for these routes, which suggests a desire to spend all the money available now and never have to come back. This, while having been all but confirmed already, is a good show of support from transport Scotland for the project, and suggests a degree of gold plating in all projects going forward.

och aye

It is a truly impressive share of green.

In all seriousness, 8*23 is about as much future proofing you'd ever need for these routes, which suggests a desire to spend all the money available now and never have to come back. This, while having been all but confirmed already, is a good show of support from transport Scotland for the project, and suggests a degree of gold plating in all projects going forward.
Perhaps its something they learned from the Borders Railway, regarding not building some structures that can be easily upgraded to double track, rather than have to rebuild/build additional structures should they want to do so?

Speed43125

This, while having been all but confirmed already, is a good show of support from transport Scotland for the project, and suggests a degree of gold plating in all projects going forward.
Please, I've already sat my Advanced higher English tests this week! I don't need more analysis doing :D

waverley47

Perhaps its something they learned from the Borders Railway, regarding not building some structures that can be easily upgraded to double track, rather than have to rebuild/build additional structures should they want to do so?

This seems reasonable, and double tracking the whole East Kilbride branch seems to support the idea of better to spend buckets of money now, and have it suitably future proofed for decades to come.

Evidence is also supported but the dual tracking of the Levenmouth line, which on the face of things seems excessive but will probably turn out to be an incredibly prudent piece of over-engineering that will have many benefits down the line.

Please, I've already sat my Advanced higher English tests this week! I don't need more analysis doing :D

I think a thorough, in depth analysis into the connotations of that particular shade of green is definitley in order.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Structure numbers allocated - does that imply the project design is at an advanced, detailed stage?
Section and sub section identities have already been allocated for the whole 2035 decarbonisation electrification strategy - all the way up to Tain.

InOban

Established Member
Have we had the planning application for the relocated Hairmyers Station?

59CosG95

Established Member
Section and sub section identities have already been allocated for the whole 2035 decarbonisation electrification strategy - all the way up to Tain.
That's very impressive indeed! I seem to remember from railwaycodes.org.uk that 'K' was originally designated for Reading - Penzance (i.e. 'K for Kernow'). Of course, that's been replaced by using the ELR as a route code, so now it's 'K for Kilmarnock'...

route101

Established Member
I seen the piles while passing on the train the other day. Is it just this section from Crossmyloof to Kennishead at first?

MadMac

Just a thought on the relocated Hairmyers Station, I read somewhere that there was a maximum line gradient for building new stations, the proposed location must be pretty close to that limit, as by my calculations the gradient through the new station would be 1:89 see http://www.railwaydata.co.uk/linefiles/route/?ELR=EKE
That’s actually a very good point. When the bay platform was added at Dalmuir Park (as it was then known), I believe there was some sort of derogation due to it being around 1 in 200.

InOban

Established Member
Are the rules more restrictive for a terminating platform, where the train will be unmanned while the driver swaps ends, than for an intermediate station? I remember that before the Borders railway reopened and trains used to terminate at Newcraighall, they had to run forward from there to a level section before the crew could change ends. Wrecked the timetable.