• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Does anyone know if any bridge raisings/reconstructions/track lowerings are required for Barrhead?
The pedestrian bridge at Cartcraigs Road will need some work :D
Pedestrian Bridge at Cartcraigs Road.jpg
It is a stone arch road bridge that became a pedestrian only bridge when the road was diverted.

I thought I’d read about that one being removed completely? The one that I’m really interested in is where the line goes under the Cathcart Circle.
I haven't seen a Planning Application to close the Cartcraigs Road bridge. I don't know if an application is required?

Here is a photo of where the line goes under the Cathcart Circle:
Class 156 underneath the Cathcart Circle.jpg

Compare it to where the line passes under the B768 Minard Road (photo taken from platform 2 at Crossmyloof station):
Class 156 underneath Minard Road.jpg

I leave it to readers to judge for themselves whether or not there are engineering challenges with these bridges.

Southsider

I haven't seen a Planning Application to close the Cartcraigs Road bridge. I don't know if an application is required?

View attachment 98838

Compare it to where the line passes under the B768 Minard Road (photo taken from platform 2 at Crossmyloof station):
View attachment 98839

I leave it to readers to judge for themselves whether or not there are engineering challenges with these bridges.
I also wondered what the situation was with these bridges regarding current permissbile clearance but, having seen some on the Shotts line, think they should be OK.

themiller

View attachment 98838

View attachment 98839

Depending upon what’s above them, couldn’t they be ‘jacked and packed’. They look suitable candidates in the photos.

MadMac

I wouldn’t have expected Minard Road to be an issue, as it was rebuilt in the relatively recent past. The other one carries the Cathcart Circle and is right next to Shawlands Station, so a whole other set of challenges there. Having passed under it many times, I’ve wondered about just how they would deal with electrification.

View attachment 98838

View attachment 98839

Re Cartcraigs Road: there is indeed an application to demolish without replacement. https://publicaccess.glasgow.gov.uk...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=QTG6D7EXLH000

MadMac

The Supporting Statement mentions that Busby Junction is to be remodelled and implies that in the absence of the remodelling there would be no need to demolish the bridge.
I have to admit that I didn’t fully digest the statement, but wasn’t Busby Junction just remodelled a few years ago?

Re Cartcraigs Road: there is indeed an application to demolish without replacement.
@MadMac thank you for the link to this application. This masonry arch bridge is end-of-life and demolition would be necessary anyway. The only decision was whether to replace it with a new compliant structure or to close the pedestrian footpath. The footpath from the bridge down to Kennishead Road is overgrown. When I walked along it I had to shuffle past a burnt out motorcycle. It leads to a footpath at the side of Kennishead Road that ends a few hundred metres further south. There are no houses or business premises along this part of Kennishead Road.

I have to admit that I didn’t fully digest the statement, but wasn’t Busby Junction just remodelled a few years ago?
Yes, Busby Junction was remodelled about 4 years ago. My reading of the statement was that the author was unaware that the remodelling was completed but that the track level was raised at that time which also makes the current structure non-compliant for electrification. Here is a photo taken from the soon to be demolished Cartcraigs Road bridge:
Busby Junction 3.jpg
(Photo taken before the piling work started)

I wouldn’t have expected Minard Road to be an issue, as it was rebuilt in the relatively recent past.
Yes, this is a modern structure which would have been built to the standards current at the time of construction. The height of the deck is constrained by road junctions at either end of the bridge with approaches that were raised when the bridge was reconstructed.

The other one carries the Cathcart Circle and is right next to Shawlands Station, so a whole other set of challenges there. Having passed under it many times, I’ve wondered about just how they would deal with electrification.
There is a pedestrian overbridge attached to the northern side of this bridge and so at least Network Rail must modify this structure for the electrification.

Cathcart Circle ped overbridge steps.jpgCathcart Circle pedestrian overbridge.jpg

Falcon1200

Established Member
Perhaps a simpler (and cheaper !) solution to the low overbridge issue might be dead sections under these structures (as long as train do not require to stop immediately adjacent to them), as adopted on the Paisley Canal line ?

XAM2175

Established Member
Perhaps a simpler (and cheaper !) solution to the low overbridge issue might be dead sections under these structures (as long as train do not require to stop immediately adjacent to them), as adopted on the Paisley Canal line ?

I'd been thinking that myself - or possibly the insulating paint that NR recently first used at Cardiff?

Falcon1200

Established Member

snowball

Established Member
No doubt they will be considering all potentially relevant techniques including the insulating paint and other special techniques used at the Cardiff intersection bridge. Network Rail will be in possession of all the relevant dimensional and other information to allow them to make an informed decision; this forum isn't.

However I would suggest not using insulated sections as on the Paisley Canal line. Barrhead is on a strategic route of potential UK-scale significance, a diversionary route for the WCML. One day (I hope not too distant) it will be wired through to Carlisle. Let's not introduce the potential for a gapped electric train to block it.

Falcon1200

Established Member
However I would suggest not using insulated sections as on the Paisley Canal line. Barrhead is on a strategic route of potential UK-scale significance, a diversionary route for the WCML. One day (I hope not too distant) it will be wired through to Carlisle. Let's not introduce the potential for a gapped electric train to block it.

I agree, electric trains becoming gapped is not a good thing, which is why I say dead sections should not be installed at stopping points, ie stations and stop signals, which would minimise that likelihood! (And of course trains do occasionally become gapped at sub-optimally located neutral sections already, Rutherglen and Longniddry, both in the Up direction, being two examples).

I sincerely hope electrification is extended to Kilmarnock (and round to Barassie) but I struggle to see a case for the Kilmarnock/Gretna section, given current traffic levels.

snowball

Established Member
I sincerely hope electrification is extended to Kilmarnock (and round to Barassie) but I struggle to see a case for the Kilmarnock/Gretna section, given current traffic levels.
It is the policy of the Scottish Government to do it within the next 14 years, according to the map in the article linked in #360.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
@MadMac thank you for the link to this application. This masonry arch bridge is end-of-life and demolition would be necessary anyway. The only decision was whether to replace it with a new compliant structure or to close the pedestrian footpath. The footpath from the bridge down to Kennishead Road is overgrown. When I walked along it I had to shuffle past a burnt out motorcycle. It leads to a footpath at the side of Kennishead Road that ends a few hundred metres further south. There are no houses or business premises along this part of Kennishead Road.

Yes, Busby Junction was remodelled about 4 years ago. My reading of the statement was that the author was unaware that the remodelling was completed but that the track level was raised at that time which also makes the current structure non-compliant for electrification. Here is a photo taken from the soon to be demolished Cartcraigs Road bridge:
View attachment 98873
(Photo taken before the piling work started)

Yes, this is a modern structure which would have been built to the standards current at the time of construction. The height of the deck is constrained by road junctions at either end of the bridge with approaches that were raised when the bridge was reconstructed.

There is a pedestrian overbridge attached to the northern side of this bridge and so at least Network Rail must modify this structure for the electrification.

View attachment 98874View attachment 98875
I assumed they were, the underpass has been closed off with a sign for a couple of weeks at least now.

Southsider

There’s been talk of closing the line for up to a year to give contractors a “clear run” at it.
They could reintroduce termination at Busby to facilitate this.

This is actually covered in a Network Rail presentation on Paisley Canal electrification (I’ve posted it in the electrification resources thread at the top of the page). The problem is the arched bridges of which there are several along the route carrying main roads. The pantograph would foul the lower part of the arch and some are located right next to stations such as the north end of Thornliebank and both ends of Clarkston.

Last edited:

Falcon1200

Established Member
Thanks for the clarification Southsider. I seem to recall reading somewhere that raising overbridges is one of the most costly parts of OLE schemes, but if it has to be done it has to be done.

Southsider

Thanks for the clarification Southsider. I seem to recall reading somewhere that raising overbridges is one of the most costly parts of OLE schemes, but if it has to be done it has to be done.
I believe that’s the case. These bridges must be about 150 years old so time for new ones! The road alignment is more suited to horses and carts than double deck buses and HGVs, particularly the one carrying Clarkston Road.

och aye

I believe that’s the case. These bridges must be about 150 years old so time for new ones! The road alignment is more suited to horses and carts than double deck buses and HGVs, particularly the one carrying Clarkston Road.
Just goes to show how well these bridges were built in a time before double deck buses and HGVs were even invented.

themiller

Perhaps a contribution towards the cost of the new bridges should be transferred from the maintenance budget into the electrification budget based on the remaining life left in the old bridges rather than the project having to bear the entire cost. It would certainly bring down the cost of the electrification project which should make electrification more acceptable to funders.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
And maybe the council should also contribute as from the description of the current road configuration, the new bridge is likely to result in a noticeable improvement to the highway too.

snowball

Established Member
And maybe the council should also contribute as from the description of the current road configuration, the new bridge is likely to result in a noticeable improvement to the highway too.
I could name a few places where bridges have been rebuilt for electrification clearance without including a much-needed improvement to the road width or alignment, presumably because the local authority had no cash to contribute.

InOban

Established Member
Whereas as part of EGIP in Scotland several road bridges were replaced with wider structures.

MadMac

Yes, Busby Junction was remodelled about 4 years ago. My reading of the statement was that the author was unaware that the remodelling was completed but that the track level was raised at that time which also makes the current structure non-compliant for electrification.
That’s what I thought - they demolished the 1970s era relay room in the process. I actually worked in there…..