• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Lancs Railway - Pubs Re-opening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I have not been on the East Lancs for a while, I think I can visualize the Pub mentioned at Bury, is it on the Main Platform, rather than the Island Platform? Where is Pub at Rawtenstall though? is it a newish addition. All I remember at that station is the ASDA over the road, which was very handy. Hope it all goes well.

Galvanize

I have not been on the East Lancs for a while, I think I can visualize the Pub mentioned at Bury, is it on the Main Platform, rather than the Island Platform? Where is Pub at Rawtenstall though? is it a newish addition. All I remember at that station is the ASDA over the road, which was very handy. Hope it all goes well.
Rawtenstall’s station pub...The Buffer Stops has been around since...what at least 2015, I remember it at one of the Diesel Galas. It’s in the station building next to the booking office. Very popular during Galas etc!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Rawtenstall’s station pub...The Buffer Stops has been around since...what at least 2015, I remember it at one of the Diesel Galas. It’s in the station building next to the booking office. Very popular during Galas etc!
OK, thanks, I'll make a note of that.

Crossover

Established Member

The Trackside is indeed on the main platform - there is a seating area on the platform itself as well :)

Chrisyd

The Trackside has a large canopy covering most of the platform outside the pubs platform door (so is a very handy outside drinking area!).

I know they were building a canopy at Ratwtenstall which would provide similar cover, but am not certain if it has been finished.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The Trackside has a large canopy covering most of the platform outside the pubs platform door (so is a very handy outside drinking area!).

I know they were building a canopy at Ratwtenstall which would provide similar cover, but am not certain if it has been finished.

I suppose if they were so inclined, they could turn the whole platform area into an outside drinking area whilst the trains are on hold !

Howardh

Established Member
Yes they do. some very nice bottles of ale from the Irwell vale brewery.
That's cheered me up on a miserable day!
Might do the rail and ail tour at around £42 - will book once the situation's known

Last edited:

EastLancsRail

Verified Rep.
Folks, we have now extended the opening of our pubs - now open from Wednesday to Sunday - at both Trackside (Bury) and Bufferstops (Rawtenstall). Further details can be found here:
https://*******.com/y8puzamv

Looking forward to visiting these pubs again - guessing 2021 now -- both an absolute credit to the railway.

geoffk

Established Member
I read that Bury Council wants to stop the ELR running Santa specials. Kirklees and Bradford Councils have taken a different view as the KLR and KWVR are both running theirs, so it seems that it's all down to interpretation by the councils. Surely only INDOOR attractions have to close.

Veteran Member
I read that Bury Council wants to stop the ELR running Santa specials. Kirklees and Bradford Councils have taken a different view as the KLR and KWVR are both running theirs, so it seems that it's all down to interpretation by the councils. Surely only INDOOR attractions have to close.
The local authority have evidently decided that the ELR plans involve an indoor attraction. The railway says they have insufficient time to re-plan their service for the next 2 weekends:

Apparently the guidance has been amended from the original Tier 3, though I am not sure in what way.

Ianigsy

The KWVR's offering this year is an Elf Express and when I looked at the Kirklees website yesterday, they'd gone to considerable lengths to remain within the rules so the children pick up a gift when the family checks in and wave to Santa rather than meeting him. I suspect the ELR had banked on being able to run a traditional grotto.

fireftrm

The KWVR's offering this year is an Elf Express and when I looked at the Kirklees website yesterday, they'd gone to considerable lengths to remain within the rules so the children pick up a gift when the family checks in and wave to Santa rather than meeting him. I suspect the ELR had banked on being able to run a traditional grotto.
No the ELR tried with an outdoor santa but the issue was the train - it was not seen as an essential journey

Veteran Member
No the ELR tried with an outdoor santa but the issue was the train - it was not seen as an essential journey
But heritage railways are specifically listed in the guidance: if they are allowed to function in Tier 3, as they are, then visiting them must be permissible.

Status
Not open for further replies.