• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Doncaster avoiding lines (current usage)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teaboy1

I now see that a limited service now running to West Burton PS about 5 trains per day judging by RTT.
These will be the last fully laden coal trains ever to run on SYJR with the pending closure of West Burton due about end April 2021.
That's it !!! The End of SYJR coal traffic.
Therefore now and the next few months will be your last chance to see 66's Balls-out up the gradients with 1800 ton behind!! Favorable spots are through Maltby Woods after station, Roche Abbey Cutting, Brookhouse Viaduct and up to Laughton summit.
The vista before Slade Hooton and Brookhouse somewhat ruined by Palisade fencing but ... hey get it while you can folks. Quite scenic past Tickhill and good shots past Maltby box.

Last Call for the SYJR.
Do take care and keep off the ballast cos you will spoil it for the rest of us.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Freightmaster

Established Member
I now see that a limited service now running to West Burton PS about 5 trains per day judging by RTT.
Really? That's news to me! o_O

Can you provide an example of a train which has run(i.e. not just a WTT path which hasn't been cancelled off), please?

MARK

Freightmaster

Established Member
I have no idea about the train service, but West Burton was used this week and so will be consuming coal
It has a huge stockpile though, so it doesn't necessarily follow that trains will be needed, unfortunately.

MARK

xotGD

Established Member
It has a huge stockpile though, so it doesn't necessarily follow that trains will be needed, unfortunately.

MARK
They might need to run trains to take surplus coal away after it has closed, as happened at Ferrybridge.

However, by then who would need the coal?

Adrian Barr

I live in Doncaster so this thread is interesting to me. Out of curiosity I was looking at the flows using these lines over a couple of weeks at the end of November / start of December. I’ve also dug out a few photos (not sure the best size to post them)

Doncaster avoider (Bentley Jn to Hexthorpe Jn)

The “Doncaster Avoider” is mainly used for metals services as follows:

Scunthorpe – Eastleigh (rails)
Immingham – Tinsley (steel)
Immingham – Wolves (steel)
Hull – Rotherham (steel)
Scunthorpe – Newport Birdport (steel)
Scunthorpe – Aldwarke (steel)
Margam / Llanwern – Immingham (steel)
Immingham – Earles (coal)
Immingham – Margam (coal etys – the loaded train from Onllwyn runs via Lincoln)

The Immingham to Wolves, and South Wales to Immingham services, can exchange traffic at Rotherham to feed into the Hull services, allowing flows from South Wales to Hull and Hull to Wolves. The line is useful for trains on a northeast / southwest axis which start from Scunthorpe (meaning they can’t use the Lincoln route without a run round at Barnetby) or those which need to run via Rotherham to exchange traffic. If the Lincoln route is closed, trains such as the Kingsbury tanks will run via this line, but this routing has the disadvantage of steeper gradients for the heaviest trains. Traffic on the avoider on a good day might be 5 trains in one direction and 4 in the other.

It runs mainly on an embankment and I don’t think there are many good places to photograph the trains. One convenient spot near the town centre (if you head across the north bridge by the station) allows you to stand on a footbridge over the A19 at the point where the line also crosses the road on a bridge. It’s not ideal for photography but I was happy to snap a 60 there on the Hull – Rotherham steel train.

Avoider 26-08-16.jpg

From close to this point, there is a footpath which follows the river, close to the back of the prison, looking across the river towards the back of the works (you can’t see anything much so you’ll just have to imagine some scrap lines filled with Deltics). This footpath then joins onto the Trans Pennine Trail, on the route of the old Hull & Barnsley (another Doncaster avoiding line, marked on that 1948 map in post #7). It parallels the current avoiding line for most of the way until it joins back up to the main line at Hexthorpe Jn, and if you keep following the trail (it diverges from the old H&B route at this point) you can walk all the way to Conisbrough station. There is a point where both the trail and the avoiding line cross the river Don on parallel bridges (the trail being on the old H&B bridge) where it might be possible to take a nice photo of a train crossing the river. If you look on google maps and the satellite imagery the paths are clearly marked. I’ve walked it once, a long walk, but nice in summer - I think there’s a pub in Sprotborough to quench your thirst before you continue on to Conisbrough.

North of Doncaster station, the Leeds line and the ECML cross the river Don on adjacent bridges. A path goes under these bridges - I must have accessed this point from a road close to the caravan site nearby. The avoider is visible from here where it crosses both the Leeds line and ECML on a bridge (the Scunthorpe line is over to the right at the point). I took a photo back in 2007 of a 66 on what is (according to my Freightmaster book for that year) probably 6V19 Immingham – Margam Enterprise. I’ve included 2 photos of the same train. It conveys steel on BDA wagons but there are also depot fuel tanks from Lindsey, which might be on their way to Toton or Bescot.

Avoider 06-08-07 A.jpg
Avoider 06-08-07 B.jpg

eastwestdivide

Established Member
It runs mainly on an embankment and I don’t think there are many good places to photograph the trains...
There's also:
* a small footbridge over the avoider about a mile from its W end, accessible via public footpaths from the Richmond Hill area or the footpath alongside the Don (N side of the river)
* part-interrupted views of the line across the flood meadows and a view from below of its bridge over the Don from the footpath alongside the Don
* a viewpoint of the junction at its W end from an overbridge (Guest Lane Warmsworth)

Adrian Barr

South Yorkshire Joint Line: St Caths Jn – Brancliffe East Jn (Shireoaks)

Apart from the odd light engine move (e.g Worksop to Roberts Road on 26 November) and occasional stock movements to Worksop, this no longer appears to be in use for any regular freight flows. In June 2020 there was a GBRF gypsum service operating from West Burton to Ferrybridge on this route (in box wagons) – possibly removing a stockpile? - but at the end of that month it seemed to have switched to loading at Hull.

Checking more recently, I can see three movements over the past couple of weeks:

A Woodhouse to Doncaster Belmont possession train on 02/02 (ran round at Worksop).
A Midland Road to High Marnham loco move on 05/02 (picked up something and ran to Whitemoor)
A Network Rail test train on 08/02 from Derby, which ran Toton-Worksop-Retford-Worksop-Doncaster, continuing on a circuit which took it to Scarborough and lines around Castleford / Selby before terminating at Doncaster. I assume this is a regular run that happens at set intervals. I think this is the same circuit mentioned earlier in the thread, with the schedule terminating at Barlby Loops before continuing on a different headcode.

This was always primarily a coal route, so its current lack of traffic is not a surprise. Maltby and Harworth collieries sent traffic in both directions to the Trent Valley and Aire Valley power stations. In the pre-privatisation era coal trains would run loaded in both directions, you could have Mainline freight 58s from Toton running, say, Gascoigne Wood to Cottam / West Burton https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/MAKING-TRACKS/CLASS-58/i-JBjVtMn passing Loadhaul 56s from Knottingley working into Drax with coal from Harworth or Maltby. The details of all these services are a bit hazy – I shall have to read my expensive but lovely book about Merry-Go-Round services - https://hmrs.org.uk/merry-go-round-on-the-rails.html which has a lot of detail.

Possibly my favourite working on this line was a fuel oil train which ran for a brief period in the early 2000s from Seal Sands (end of the Port Clarence branch on Teeside) to West Burton with a 56 on TTA tanks. Looked like something from the 1980s! It’s easy to forget that these power stations all had regular deliveries of fuel oil for starting up the boilers – a 2000MW station like West Burton could be operating on “2 units” or “4 units” (each of 500MW) so to go from 2 units to 4 at times of peak demand would presumably require the use of fuel oil (and at full output would consume coal at the rate of roughly one train per hour…)

In terms of being a useful through route, Toton to Doncaster is a trunk freight route via Clay Cross, but diverting via Pinxton, Robin Hood Line, Shireoaks and the South Yorkshire joint is probably too slow to be very useful, plus the gradients are bad northbound from Pinxton – not a problem when almost all traffic was coal empties going north and returning loaded – but not ideal for general freight diversions. Doncaster – Pyewipe – Nottingham would probably be a better route if Tapton to Clay Cross was blocked for some reason, and unless that specific section is blocked on all lines there will probably be other more practical diversionary routes available. Also, it’s questionable if the SY Joint line is cleared to the gauge needed for container trains to access Doncaster Iport that way, never mind route knowledge constraints and being a single line. Has the South Yorkshire Joint ever been used for diversions in the past?

St Catherines Jn – Kirk Sandall Jn

This section still sees limited use by freight trains, usually the GBRF spoil empties (box wagons) returning from Roxby to Down Decoy (running round at St Caths). These load at either Collyhurst (Manchester) or Leeds Whitehall, but only the returning empties come this way. 6D21 is the regular path (see photo below).

Another interesting service to run this way has been a couple of Scunthorpe – Down Decoy services with empty wagons off a Thrislington – Scunthorpe lime service (also GBRF box wagons).

At the north end of this section is the Glass works at Barnby Dunn (actually in Kirk Sandall). This is still running a couple of times a week but runs via Doncaster station. The old routing for this train, a few years back, used to involve leaving the ECML at Retford and joining the line to Worksop, where a portion was dropped off at the Rockware glass factory. The train then continued via the full length of the South Yorkshire Joint line through Maltby and St Caths to Kirk Sandall.

There are several “ghost” paths for Immingham – West Burton coal trains along the full length of the SY joint line from Kirk Sandall to Worksop… but it seems unlikely they will ever run again. There are also unused paths from North Blyth and Greenburn to West Burton, and an interesting West Burton – Tunstead path via Doncaster, Diggle, Stockport and Chinley! Did it ever run that way I wonder? West Burton was interesting as it had access from both ends, and some Immingham – West Burton trains were running via Brigg at one point in EWS days with 56s and HAAs.

Low Ellers Curve

At St Catherines Jn, the loop is used to run round services from the Mexborough direction which need to access Up Decoy via the Low Ellers Curve – such as the Toton to Doncaster infrastructure trips and Mountsorrel or Stud Farm to Up Decoy bulk ballast. Belmont yard is used as the starting point for a lot of weekend possession trains, to avoid congestion in Up Decoy which has limited roads that allow northbound departures. This requires trips between Up Decoy & Wood Yard (where the ballast and spoil tips and sleeper factory are located) to / from Belmont on local trip workings via the Low Ellers Curve. It’s also quite common to see light engines heading this way; for example the loco for the evening Up Decoy to Whitemoor infrastructure trip usually trundles across from the Royal Mail terminal / Down Decoy yard area.

Apart from infrastructure-related movements and light locos, I don’t think any other freight regularly uses the Low Ellers Curve. Services into the Iport run through Down Decoy on the Lincoln lines (one service runs to Hexthorpe to run round and head for Felixtowe). Services into the Doncaster Railport (Freightliner terminal on the up side) run to / from Felixstowe using the Up East Slow via Bessacarr and Lincoln. This means that there are a surprisingly number of intermodal services passing under the road bridge next to the Mail terminal, as all services into both Doncaster Iport and Doncaster Railport have to pass beneath it, and there are also services from Rotherham to Felixstowe running via Hexthorpe and taking the Lincoln line through Down Decoy.

Photo Captions (I’ll try adding them as attachments):

66771 approaches St Catherines Junction on the freight only line from Kirk Sandall with 6D21 Roxby - Down Decoy empty JNA spoil wagons (25-01-21).

66771 has run round at St Caths and arrives in the sidings at Down Decoy (mail terminal to the right). 66424 on the 4E49 Daventry – Iport Tesco train has been waiting at the signal for it to clear Decoy South junction before it can take the curve around to St Caths and the Iport. N.B. The line the Tesco train is on is the Down flyover (Lincoln line) which also gives access to the ECML. The grey box wagons are a set used on Rylstone stone flows. (These two photos were taken on a carefully-timed walk around Doncaster Lakeside).

66737 traverses the Low Ellers Curve from St Caths to Up Decoy on Bank Holiday Monday 25-05-20. This loco was stabled at Doncaster RMT (the old mail terminal) and was moving across to work 6L84 engineers train to Whitemoor (which ran light engine on that day). The Low Ellers Curve can be viewed from a footpath looking over a field, but there are too many bushes at the side of the line to get a good photograph!

66537 arrives with 4E56 15:46 Felixstowe North – Doncaster Railport. It is arriving at Doncaster Railport off the Up East Slow after coming off the Lincoln line (trains can also enter Up Decoy sidings here). This is Potteric Carr junction, where the Low Ellers curve swings off to the left before curving around to join with the freight line from Kirk Sandall, crossing the ECML on the grey bridge in the distance, and reaching St Caths. Doncaster Railport (Freightliner terminal) is behind the camera on the Up side, with Doncaster Iport being the new container terminal on the Worksop line accessed from St Catherine’s Junction.

Attachments

• SY Joint 25-01-21.jpg
    SY Joint 25-01-21.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Down Decoy 25-01-21.jpg
    Down Decoy 25-01-21.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Low Ellers Curve 25-05-20.jpg
    Low Ellers Curve 25-05-20.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Down Decoy 22-06-20.jpg
    Down Decoy 22-06-20.jpg
    745.2 KB · Views: 18

Chris Butler

Doncaster avoider (Bentley Jn to Hexthorpe Jn)

South Yorkshire Joint Line: St Caths Jn – Brancliffe East Jn (Shireoaks)

St Catherines Jn – Kirk Sandall Jn

Low Ellers Curve

A couple of superb posts. Everything I could have hoped for ... and more.

On the South Yorkshire Joint Line, from what you say, it seems to be doomed to closure. Even as a 'secondary' route to free capacity on the 'main' lines it seems to be inferior to the alternative, longer, route using the Doncaster to Lincoln and Lincoln to Worksop lines and Pyewipe Jnc.

(As a complete aside, is Pyewipe Jnc another case of a junction named after a pub, or is there any other local feature named after the lapwing ?).

You also mentioned a couple of times that empties and loaded trains take different routes and said (in one case) and implied (in the other case) that gradients on the routes from Doncaster were (one of) the cause(s). My impression of the area is that its as flat as a pancake. Perhaps I'm just wrong or perhaps the gradients are caused by civil engineering works rather than topography ?

Adrian Barr

OK the third and final part covering the Skellow lines north of Doncaster -

Routes from Thorpe Marsh Jn

This timing point on the freight-only line from Stainforth shows trains on 4 possible routes:

The new chord from Thorpe Marsh Jn to Heywood Jn (Knottingley route)
Applehurst Jn to Joan Croft Jn (ECML northbound to Hambleton / York)
Skellow Jn to Adwick Jn (towards South Kirkby Jn and Wakefield)
Skellow Jn to Carcroft Jn (towards Doncaster station via Adwick and Bentley)

Can’t resist linking this youtube video, which shows the tanks from Preston coming over the ECML on the bridge (the zoom makes it look like a rollercoaster!) then across Applehurst Jn (ECML connection from Joan Croft) and Thorpe Marsh Junction (Knottingley branch connection from Heywood Jn). I haven’t been here since the new chord was put in – last time I was there, the cooling towers of Thorpe Marsh power station were still intact and Class 56s were in EWS or Loadhaul livery.

Video: 56113 56090 6E32 Thorpe Marsh Jct 25/04/19
Channel: Mr C’s footage

Thorpe Marsh Jn to Heywood Jn

Main traffic is biomass from Immingham to Drax, currently up to 10 loaded trains per day.

On a Sunday night the Lindsey-Jarrow tanks usually run this way (via Knottingley and Milford) and also a Sunday night Lackenby – Scunthorpe service (for possessions / route retention at a guess). It’s a possible route for trains between Teeside and Scunthorpe but apart from engineering-related diversions it doesn’t seem to be used much for that purpose (quicker on existing paths via Joan Croft & ECML)

Applehurst Jn to Joan Croft Jn

Still has a fair bit of traffic. A couple of trains per day between Scunthorpe and Tees Yard / Lackenby, with occasional services from Scunthorpe to Tees Dock. The Lindsey – Jarrow tanks run this way.

One interesting service to run this way (ran on Thu 26 Nov and 3 Dec when I looked, but doesn't appear to be a regular working) has been a York – Immingham coal empties which then loads for Earles. Also, this route is still used as a regular diversionary route for the Immingham – Drax biomass trains. In the last week of November, overnight engineering saw several trains routed the old way via Milford, Gascoigne Wood, Hambleton and Joan Croft to Immingham. Also the first few trains often come this way when the service starts up on Sunday afternoons (empties from Milford Sidings).

Skellow Jn to Adwick Jn

The Lindsey – Preston and Lindsey – Neville Hill tanks run this way, both loads and empties. Loaded spoil from Leeds Whitehall to Roxby has also run this way, along with spoil empties running direct from Roxby to Collyhurst (routing for these varies depending on whether they are running direct from terminal to terminal or stabling in the yards at Doncaster). The Lindsey – Jarrow tanks may occasionally run this way on a Sunday night (via Hare Park, Turners Lane and Castleford) such as on 22nd November, but more usually runs via Knottingley on a Sunday night.

Skellow Jn to Carcroft Jn

This is a quirky routing that allows trains from the Humberside direction to access the goods lines through Doncaster station without crossing the ECML. Roxby – Rossington spoil empties have been routed this way although they sometimes get sent via Kirk Sandall. In the opposite direction, loaded spoil from Angerstein to Roxby has also been sent this way recently. The Dollands Moor – Scunthorpe service is booked this way although can be sent via Kirk Sandall instead. A couple of interesting services sent this way have been a Roxby – Neath Abbey Wharf service (then via Hexthorpe and Barrow Hill) and a Down Decoy – Immingham which formed a coal service to Ratcliffe (loads ran via Lincoln)

Shaftholme Jn – Heywood Jn (from ECML towards Knottingley)

Unlike the other Doncaster Freight lines, this became a passenger route when the GC Bradford services started running. A regular freight is the empty Plasmor service from Bow / Biggleswade to Heck, running empty via Milford, Gascoigne Wood and Hambleton and then south on the ECML to propel into the siding at Heck. Sand trains from Middleton Towers to Monk Bretton (and return) also run on this line. Trips between Doncaster and York (Network Rail wagons for maintenance) are routed this way to keep them clear of the ECML, and there are light engine moves at weekends to swap locos between Doncaster and Knottingley depots (also from Midland Road to Doncaster yards).

A couple of interesting services recently have been an Earles Sidings to Drax and return [I noticed this ran a couple of times on two Mondays at the end of November. As of February this traffic now appears to be running MWFO from West Burton to Earles instead, with fly ash in PCA wagons]. Also, the Doncaster yards (Hexthorpe or Down Decoy) to Hull gypsum empties (GBRF box wagons) have been running this way, then taking the route via Snaith (the only freight on that route at the moment). The loaded Hull – Ferrybridge services also run via Snaith, then the empties return to Doncaster again via Heywood Jn – Shaftholme.

There's also:
* a small footbridge over the avoider about a mile from its W end, accessible via public footpaths from the Richmond Hill area or the footpath alongside the Don (N side of the river)
* part-interrupted views of the line across the flood meadows and a view from below of its bridge over the Don from the footpath alongside the Don
* a viewpoint of the junction at its W end from an overbridge (Guest Lane Warmsworth)
That footbridge looks promising. I can't remember if I walked over it - I suspect I walked down Newton Lane instead to reach the main access point to the Transpennine Trail on Sprotborough Road.
I remember seeing the footpath below the bridges which carry the trail (on the H&B bridge) and the avoider over the Don, but I think I took a diversion to Sprotborough via Guest lane and Mill Lane.
I remember the view from the bridge that overlooks Hexthorpe Junction, I took a couple of photos but there was no freight about! Things are a lot easier these days with Mobile phones, Realtime Trains, Tracksy and so on...

Within Sandall Beat Wood (on the St Caths - Kirk Sandall line) I always fancied taking a photo of the Middleton Towers sand (when it ran via Worksop to Kirk Sandall/Barnby Dunn) from the footbridge which overlooks the junction with the former Markham Main Colliery, but never had the patience to wait for a train that might not be running. I could photo that 6D21 spoil train there, but looking on Google Maps there are a lot more trees - it used to be a fairly open space. The photo of 6D21 was taken from the footpath that links Stoops Lane with Lakeside, where the train is leaving the cutting and the line is rising slightly to join the Low Ellers Curve and cross the ECML. At the Kirk Sandall end of that line I can see it goes over a couple of roads, but most of it seems to be in a cutting and the bridges I've walked over don't give especially good views (being a single line makes the cutting narrower I suppose). I remember watching the sand train go over the crossing at Thorne Lane where it enters the glass factory - it would be nice to get a photo of the sand train with the plant in the background but I don't know if that is feasible - I have a photo somewhere but it just shows the sand wagons going over the road crossing I think.

I've not been to the nature reserve at Potteric Carr for a few years. For anyone who might be curious - it's not an ideal place for rail photography due to all the trees, but it's an interesting place and I remember when you bought an entrance ticket they gave you a sort of permit to use the foot crossings - I remember one at the end of Down Decoy sidings, and another which crosses the Down chord from the ECML to the flyover lines. You get very close to the bridges where the Lincoln line and the Kirk Sandall line cross the ECML, and there's a hide (for birdwatching) which looks across the ECML to a pond on the other side. Another part of the reserve is behind a line of trees parallel to the line close to St Caths junction - I remember being surprised by an 08 shunter loudly gronking behind the trees. My overall impression of the place was constantly hearing trains that you couldn't see, while being bitten by exotic insects - but it's a nice place, I should go back for another visit sometime.

The Skellow line around Thorpe Marsh was quite a pleasant location when I visited it years ago - another place I ought to re-visit sometime to see the changes since the new chord was put in.

A couple of superb posts. Everything I could have hoped for ... and more.

On the South Yorkshire Joint Line, from what you say, it seems to be doomed to closure. Even as a 'secondary' route to free capacity on the 'main' lines it seems to be inferior to the alternative, longer, route using the Doncaster to Lincoln and Lincoln to Worksop lines and Pyewipe Jnc.

(As a complete aside, is Pyewipe Jnc another case of a junction named after a pub, or is there any other local feature named after the lapwing ?).

You also mentioned a couple of times that empties and loaded trains take different routes and said (in one case) and implied (in the other case) that gradients on the routes from Doncaster were (one of) the cause(s). My impression of the area is that its as flat as a pancake. Perhaps I'm just wrong or perhaps the gradients are caused by civil engineering works rather than topography ?
As a diversionary route between Doncaster and Toton/Derby/Midlands (if Chesterfield was completely blocked on all lines) I was suggesting the route from Doncaster - Pyewipe Junction - Newark Castle - Nottingham would be more practical than the South Yorkshire Joint, even ignoring route knowledge (I'm speculating but that would be my guess, I don't know how the timings would compare).

There aren't any real gradients around Doncaster itself, but if the tank trains to Kingsbury are diverted via the Doncaster Avoider and Mexborough it means they have to climb Santon bank near Scunthorpe - not a particularly steep gradient compared to more famous locations, but enough to be an issue for the heaviest tank trains, especially if a Class 66 is pulling 30 tanks! In theory these could also run via Brigg, Worksop, Shirebrook and Toton when the Lincoln route was unavailable, but while the gradients might be OK, route knowledge would be a problem.

The Onllwyn - Immingham coal train appears to run outward via Lincoln and return via Mexborough, but I don't think that is related to gradients, perhaps more to do with pathing or traincrew requirements.

The gradient that would cause an issue if you ran Toton - Shirebrook - Maltby - Doncaster is at the East Midlands end, on the freight line between Ironville Junction, through Pinxton, to Kirkby Lane End Junction (and Kirkby summit). The weight limit for a 66 means is a bit restrictive for bulk trains - I don't think you could pull a 2000 ton train with a 66. Historically, almost all the freight taking this route in this direction would have been coal empties, so it wasn't really a big issue. The other issue as a diversionary route - there just aren't that many freight trains for which Toton - Shirebrook - Maltby - Doncaster would be a useful alternative route, and I doubt it's cleared for containers.

Last edited:

Bob figgis

The Felixstowe to Doncaster FL upto around 5 years ago, may be a bit longer, used to leave the ECML at Retford and run into Doncaster FL terminal via the SYJ.

Adrian Barr

They go Joan Croft Jn -> Hambleton -> Gascoigne Wood -> Milford -> Knottingley ?
Yes, here is one that ran this way in the early hours of this morning - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H10879/2021-02-18/detailed

The Felixstowe to Doncaster FL upto around 5 years ago, may be a bit longer, used to leave the ECML at Retford and run into Doncaster FL terminal via the SYJ.
Now that's interesting, I didn't know they'd ever run that way. The change of routing might be related to the upgrading of the line through Lincoln. Until it was upgraded, I think it was unusual for container trains to run via Lincoln - I think the upgrade included gauge enhancements but I can't remember how restrictive the original clearance was for containers. When these trains were using the ECML, routing via Retford - Worksop - Low Ellers Curve would make sense to avoid a double reversal (at Down Decoy and St Caths) to access Doncaster Railport from the Down Main (I don't think the Up East Slow is bi-directional south of Black Carr Jn).

The problem with taking this route nowadays is that it is more restrictive for containers than the Lincoln line (also slower). I've just looked at the LNE Sectional Appendix (pages 1208/1209...) on the Network Rail website and it looks like this routing via Retford & Worksop would be W8 gauge. I think this means that 9 foot 6 containers would need to be on low deck (IKAs would probably be OK) or pocket wagons. This was nothing unusual a few years ago (e.g. I think all Southampton container trains were W8 restricted until the tunnel was altered) but would mean the current trains are not gauge cleared for the route if they are loading 9 foot 6 boxes on standard height flats such as FSAs, FTAs, FEAs.

The Low Ellers Curve itself shows as W12 cleared (makes sense as I don't think there are any overhead structures) so it could be used for container trains if required. The very short section from St Caths Jn to Low Ellers Curve Jn shows as W9, which seems a little odd, as the only bridge is under the M18 which all the Iport trains have to pass under anyway.

Edit: Browsing the Newark Northgate table in some old copies of Freightmaster, it looks like the Felixstowe - Doncaster Railport trains started running around 2006, with a Freightliner and a GBRF working (before that, the only block container train I remember out of the Railport was the Doncaster - Wilton service, but they also handled car traffic and some containers for Mossend that used Enterprise). The Freightliner working from Felixstowe to Doncaster Railport is shown as taking the main line towards Retford from Newark (which would be consistent with the Worksop routing), and the GBRF working running via Gainsborough, with most other intermodal traffic using the ECML. Some later editions show both these Railport trains running via Gainsborough along with an increasing portion of the other intermodal traffic (I have a Locomaster cab ride DVD of the Selby - Felixstowe service running this way). So container trains were using the "short joint" (Newark Northgate - Pyewipe Jn - Gainsborough Lea Road) but I don't think any of them used the "long joint" through Lincoln and Spalding - regardless of gauging it wouldn't have helped that the Sleaford avoider was one direction only around this time, and I think the speeds for freight were lower than they are now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.