• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Oxford-Bletchley construction progress

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oxfordblues

Yes, Great Central tracks have finally reached Oxford! The GC never made it here of course, but there were about 60-70 panels loaded on Salmons in Hinksey Yard yesterday en-route from lifting between Quainton Road and Calvert. Presumably destined for the national track-recycling facility at Whitemoor.

wildcard

Looks like the Alesbury line north of quainton has now been lifted up to the EWR line

Picture from Quainton via Phil Marsh tweet site - Quainton

Is this mainly to facilitate HS2 construction further north rather than an early move to relaying Aylesbury Parkway to Calvert for EWR ? . Is that part of EWR still "paused " ? - so I guess the GC trackbed north of Quainton will be left without rails for the foreseeable future.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is this mainly to facilitate HS2 construction further north rather than an early move to relaying Aylesbury Parkway to Calvert for EWR ? . Is that part of EWR still "paused " ? - so I guess the GC trackbed north of Quainton will be left without rails for the foreseeable future.
AIUI the track bed north of Quainton Rd has to be reinstated on a new alignment to serve the resited Calvert waste terminal, irrespective of whether or not there’s an EWR passenger service?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
AIUI the track bed north of Quainton Rd has to be reinstated on a new alignment to serve the resited Calvert waste terminal, irrespective of whether or not there’s an EWR passenger service?
It's probably also useful to have an extra route to feed the HS2 construction railhead, later to become an infrastructure maintenance base.

Andyjs247

HS2 is taking part of the former GC Aylesbury to Claydon alignment around Calvert and the current landfill access is being relocated south to Greatmoor where there is an existing EfW incinerator. There is a separate TWAO for this work, the HS2 Greatmoor Railway Sidings - Transport and Works Act Order.

This authorises HS2 Ltd to construct railway sidings and associated works adjacent to the Aylesbury Link railway for the transfer of waste and spoil material to the Calvert landfill and Greatmoor energy from waste facility.

The new sidings are being provided to the east of the Aylesbury Link line (ie the Aylesbury to Claydon line - which is itself due to be reinstated on a new alignment to the east of HS2). Both the landfill and Greatmoor EfW are west of HS2; waste for both will need to be unloaded at the sidings and transferred by road to cross a bridge over the tracks for disposal.

See

Incidentally vehicular access to Greatmoor EfW from the A41 uses part of the trackbed of the former Ashendon Jn-Grendon Underwood Jn line.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I expect just left of centre must be where the new footbridge extension will be connected. It looks quite a distance for a single span.
Agreed - not shown just below the frame is what I assume is the massive foundation for the new bridge span. It is a huge concrete block

Bertone

I am trying to find a plan which shows where the route reinstatement of the GC track north of Quainton Road station will be.
The gov.uk plans for Greatmoor (link a few posts above) appear to show Quainton Road as a terminal station!
Anyone advise please.
Much appreciated

The Planner

Veteran Member
I am trying to find a plan which shows where the route reinstatement of the GC track north of Quainton Road station will be.
The gov.uk plans for Greatmoor (link a few posts above) appear to show Quainton Road as a terminal station!
Anyone advise please.
Much appreciated
Basically right next to the HS2 alignment. The HS2 route maps will likely show it.

kevin_roche

Anyone advise please.
Much appreciated

Is this any help? https://sacuksprodnrdigital0001.blob.core.windows.net/east-west-rail/East West Rail - Western section - Phase 2/02 TWAO application documents/East West Rail NR14 Deposited plans and Sections and Rights of Way Plans.pdf

I guess there is more in the HS2 Plans, but all I can find is this which seems to lack detail.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Bertone

Anyone advise please.
Much appreciated
Many thanks for responses Chaps

Dr A.Johnston

New video published - East West Rail: Phase 2 design & construction of track formation - Tim Mead and Hanna

Another video released today covering the current build status of the road bridge construction at Launton, Bicester, Oxfordshire 04-Dec-2021 - Thanks to Mike Plowman

Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
I'm confused - why the rather vicious kink in the road immediately one side of the Bicester road bridge? There seems space for it to have been a straight approach and its a busy A-Road isnt it??
Also are the abutments passive for dual carriageway - they look longer than they need to be?

geoffk

Established Member
I expect the HS2 map doesn’t show anything immediately north of Quainton Rd because it doesn’t change the route position at all until the bridleway bridge GUN/28 way over on the left.
What about provision for the planned, but now postponed, link from Aylesbury to EWR and on to Milton Keynes?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What about provision for the planned, but now postponed, link from Aylesbury to EWR and on to Milton Keynes?
If we’re still discussing maps then it’s shown on the next HS2 map in sequence to the north. But it’s re-routed slightly to the east of the original curve to allow for the link between HS2 and their Calvert infrastructure depot. The drawing is in Post #317 showing the changes.

I'm confused - why the rather vicious kink in the road immediately one side of the Bicester road bridge? There seems space for it to have been a straight approach and its a busy A-Road isnt it??
Also are the abutments passive for dual carriageway - they look longer than they need to be?
I think it’s temporary stage works, and they’ll build another new embankment over the site of the existing road south of the new bridge. That part of the existing road couldn’t be diverted west, because there are buildings in the way.

On the second point, the TWA Order drawing package does show elongated abutments on the east side of the road, in about the right position for dualling the bypass.

Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
I think it’s temporary stage works, and they’ll build a new embankment on the site of the existing road south of the new bridge. That part of the existing road couldn’t be diverted west, because there are buildings in the way.
Did they keep the road open during construction then? It isnt open in the video.
Also the kinked bit of road seems to have tarmac lines and lampposts??

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Did they keep the road open during construction then? It isnt open in the video.
Also the kinked bit of road seems to have tarmac lines and lampposts??
Yes it was open until a month or two back. (17th Oct it turns out.) On the north side of the railway they had built a temporary road almost all the way to the roundabout. It came with full pavement, kerbs and street lighting, now removed.

The route of the temporary road is visible in an earlier video made by the same YouTube member, I’ve taken a screen shot:
E036C5D9-D33E-4701-87E5-932E91530786.jpeg

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
I think it’s temporary stage works, and they’ll build another new embankment over the site of the existing road south of the new bridge. That part of the existing road couldn’t be diverted west, because there are buildings in the way.

Correct. The aim is to reopen the road at the end of next week with the temporary alignment to the south of the line

Please note that when Charbridge Lane reopens, the traffic flow will be switched onto the new bridge structure from the north with a temporary alignment still to the south and work will begin to complete road approach from the south in order to put the road into its final alignment.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Correct. The aim is to reopen the road at the end of next week with the temporary alignment to the south of the line

Is it because they have to allow a significant time for a raised embankment like this to settle, before adding the road base, and they build the level up in phases? They also probably have to remove the existing road and foundations to do it properly? Not really something they can speed up.

Last edited:

Mark24

What’s the current estimated opening date for the Oxford to Bletchley section?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What’s the current estimated opening date for the Oxford to Bletchley section?
“By 2025”, according to the EWR company website. I posted a link a few months back, but it’s easier to repeat it:

Mark24

“By 2025”, according to the EWR company website. I posted a link a few months back, but it’s easier to repeat it:
Thanks for the link.
Considering the progress with the bridges along this stretch, I’m surprised it will take a further 3 years.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks for the link.
Considering the progress with the bridges along this stretch, I’m surprised it will take a further 3 years.
That’s what I thought back when I found it. I suggested here that it was relatively unambitious, but others disagreed…