• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Consultation updates [not speculation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tspaul26

Established Member
Is a GSJ actually required at that location though? With the 4-tracking through Shepreth Branch Junction to Cambridge (City/Main) could a flat junction and sensibly timed paired moves not suffice? It's not as if it would be the busiest flat junction in the world, and you can protect the corridor while getting the damn thing built.
Yes, the timetable and service intervals don’t work without grade separation because paths further south are ‘locked in’.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Magdalia

Established Member
This particular woman would still end up with embankment near her.

Or a lengthy viaduct, I suppose.

There’s also the issue of the river crossing and, then, the A10.

There are ecological factors which drive the overall height in this area as well.
Yes, the river crossing has to be sufficiently high to manage the flood risk. I don't know what else "ecological factors" might cover (wildlife habitats?) but those too.

However the A10 can go over the railway instead of the railway going over the A10, or the A10 can go under a lower railway embankment in a cutting. Those can be less visually intrusive because the road ramps can have steeper gradients.

I'm waiting with interest to see what the statutory consultation comes up with, and note your comment on timing!

tspaul26

Established Member
I don't know what else "ecological factors" might cover (wildlife habitats?) but those too.
Yes, including sundry supporting habitat.
However the A10 can go over the railway instead of the railway going over the A10, or the A10 can go under a lower railway embankment in a cutting. Those can be less visually intrusive because the road ramps can have steeper gradients.
It’s not necessarily that simple because of the ecological constraints in this area.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Is a GSJ actually required at that location though? With the 4-tracking through Shepreth Branch Junction to Cambridge (City/Main) could a flat junction and sensibly timed paired moves not suffice? It's not as if it would be the busiest flat junction in the world, and you can protect the corridor while getting the damn thing built.
Is four-tracking proposed through Shepreth Branch Junction? There are houses around the route immediately to the west that would make widening different, and unless six tracks were provided northwards there would still need to be a flat junction about where the existing one is. I believe it's only four tracks from the junction into Cambridge, in which case a double-track bottleneck remains between there and the new junction. This presumably eliminates Shepreth Branch Junction itself, but there will still be conflicts at the south end of Cambridge station to timetable in, and it may be hard to do this while also ensuring minimum conflict at the new junction.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Is four-tracking proposed through Shepreth Branch Junction? There are houses around the route immediately to the west that would make widening different, and unless six tracks were provided northwards there would still need to be a flat junction about where the existing one is. I believe it's only four tracks from the junction into Cambridge, in which case a double-track bottleneck remains between there and the new junction. This presumably eliminates Shepreth Branch Junction itself, but there will still be conflicts at the south end of Cambridge station to timetable in, and it may be hard to do this while also ensuring minimum conflict at the new junction.
Yes, sorry from not through.

Status
Not open for further replies.