• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Consultation updates [not speculation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cle

Established Member
Great to see real progress, at Bletchley too. It's actually happening.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cle

Established Member
Referencing the pictures of progress specifically, but thanks for the value-add.

The Planner

Veteran Member
It is not a given its happening yet, it will still be lights on sticks with an overlay anyway.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder that we absolutely do welcome ideas/suggestions and other speculative discussion but we do ask that these are posted exclusively in the Speculative Ideas section please.

This is Stations & Infrastructure discussion for progress updates regarding the East-West Rail project :)

For rolling stock procurement updates please use:
East West Rail rolling stock procurement updates

For rolling stock speculation please use: What stock could be used on East-West Rail, for example the Cambrian 158s?

For speculation on additional trains such as XC services running via the route, please use: Could we see trains operating via East-West Rail such as CrossCountry services?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Haven't really kept an eye on what's going on with stations on EWR.

What's the plan for the Marston Vale stations and Bletchley High Level platforms?

S-Car-Go

I've seen this story on a few sites: https://www.railwaygazette.com/uk/east-west-rail-surveys-underway/57827.article

I assume this is referring solely to the Bedford-Cambridge section? It's not clear from the article, which refers to the entire Oxford-Cambridge route, but I assume the environmental surveys have already been carried out west of Bletchley?
I think they're well beyond that. Was driving past Newton Longville in the summer, and saw engineering crews on the embankments. I don't know if they were doing earthworks or tree clearance, but they had already set up a worksite for lorries etc.

TheHSRailFan

fishwomp

Thanks for sharing - also with that hashtag is a post with pictures showing that Swanbourne is no more. Sad,.and glad I took photos there in July (posted in this thread back then)

The gentleman living there had a Verney Junction original lamp post in his garden, which he had retrieved many years ago from Verney J. I hope that found a good home, indeed I expect the insides of the old booking office would have been an auctioneer's joy too. I hope he has found a good home himself too, shame that it had to be demolished.

Last edited:

Geeves

Established Member
a little update. Sad day for most of us who like railway history. Verney Junctions platforms(The furthest most point the Metropolitan Railway got to) have been demolished to make way for the link.

A poster earlier linked a to a video of guys from the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire railway collecting a good amount of brickwork from the old platforms so they will live on as intended at least.

eMeS

I took a few shots in May 2014, and here's one of the eastbound platform at Verney Junction. The westbound was more overgrown at the time.02289csp Verney Junction station and eastbound platform in May 2014.jpg

Mogz

I can understand the sadness and sentiment of those who mourn the removal of old platforms from stations which will not be restored, especially those who remember the line in use, but remember, the line itself is rising from the dead, and this is something to celebrate. I for one am delighted as it’s a line I’m actually likely to use on a regular basis.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I can understand the sadness and sentiment of those who mourn the removal of old platforms from stations which will not be restored, especially those who remember the line in use, but remember, the line itself is rising from the dead, and this is something to celebrate. I for one am delighted as it’s a line I’m actually likely to use on a regular basis.
I shall very much look forward to going on it, am I right in saying it will be double track throughout at up to 100mph and will open entirely by 2025-26?

Also seen as the Bletchley flyover is being demolished, is there any idea what it's replacement will be like and when it will be completed?

The Planner

Veteran Member
As it was a listed structure, I would expect its replacement will look exactly the same as the original, but without the "concrete cancer" (rusted reinforcement steels).
Spans over the WCML are just a concrete box as far as I am aware.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I shall very much look forward to going on it, am I right in saying it will be double track throughout at up to 100mph and will open entirely by 2025-26?

Double track from Bicester to Bletchley, opening 2024/5, assuming Governement funds it.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
As it was a listed structure, I would expect its replacement will look exactly the same as the original, but without the "concrete cancer" (rusted reinforcement steels).
Ok, nice. I've always thought it was a unique feature, glad it will be a similar structure. Although will it be different in some way to allow for Bletchley High-Level platforms 7 & 8 to be built?

Double track from Bicester to Bletchley, opening 2024/5, assuming Governement funds it.
Also, nice. Look forward to that, so EWR will directly link to or provide easier links to the WCML, MML, ECML, GEML and CML? If so, then wow, it will transform links across the country! :D

DavidGrain

Established Member
The line from Aylesbury to join the main part of EWR will still be single track but will be upgraded.

jfowkes

Ok, nice. I've always thought it was a unique feature, glad it will be a similar structure. Although will it be different in some way to allow for Bletchley High-Level platforms 7 & 8 to be built?

It's not a complete replacement, just 14 spans that need replacing to meet modern standards. So I imagine it will be pretty similar apart from the platforms.

Also, nice. Look forward to that, so EWR will directly link to or provide easier links to the WCML, MML, ECML, GEML and CML? If so, then wow, it will transform links across the country! :D

Only as far as the MML by 2024/2025. The section to Cambridge is a fair way away yet.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
The line from Aylesbury to join the main part of EWR will still be single track but will be upgraded.
Good. :D

It's not a complete replacement, just 14 spans that need replacing to meet modern standards. So I imagine it will be pretty similar apart from the platforms.

Only as far as the MML by 2024/2025. The section to Cambridge is a fair way away yet.
Oh ok right, we shall see the result soon.

Have they decided the route to get to Cambridge yet? Will they reuse the old St Johns station as I recall there was a chance of that.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Also seen as the Bletchley flyover is being demolished, is there any idea what it's replacement will be like and when it will be completed?
There is an engineering drawing in post #3838 in this thread. As said the bit over the WCML will be a box structure, but either side of that it will be similar to what’s already there.

I also uploaded a pdf “side view” of the flyover in post #3769, which shows which piers will be replaced and which will be strengthened.

Last edited:

221101 Voyager

Established Member
There is an engineering drawing in post #3838 in this thread. As said the bit over the WCML will be a box structure, but either side of that it will be similar to what’s already there.

I also uploaded a pdf “side view” of the flyover in post #3769, which shows which piers will be replaced and which will be strengthened.
Thanks for that.:)
Have they decided the route? Yep: https://eastwestrail.co.uk/the-project/central-section (where "decided the route" means "decided which crayon line they're going to develop into a route")
Will they use St Johns? No.
I see what you mean about it being early days for the route to Cambridge.

Thanks for that info.:)

Also, is the plan to electrify it in about a decades time?

jfowkes

Also, is the plan to electrify it in about a decades time?

Some people on here seem to think it electrification will be finished about 4 years post opening.

I'm personally sceptical giving the absence of any concrete plans so far.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Some people on here seem to think it electrification will be finished about 4 years post opening.

I'm personally sceptical giving the absence of any concrete plans so far.
I'm sceptical too, as less than half of the UK railway is electrified, so that instantly makes me sceptical.

However, it will have to be done at some point soon as all these eco, net zero, target thingys will have to be met somehow! :D ;)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
In a sensible world the sections so far would have been electrified as they were upgraded and the (all new) Bedford-Cambridge section would be electric on day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.