• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ebbw Vale redoubling updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetheguard

Established Member
Is there somebody on here who can report on progress with redoubling of (I think) a seven mile section of the Ebbw Vale branch?

I'm sure it was due to be finished in 2016, and when I last travelled on the line in January of that year, a lot of the new track was already down. We're all used to rail infrastructure projects sliding to the right, but an update on how things are going would be very welcome to this interested observer.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davetheguard

Established Member
Over 400 people and counting have now read this post, and none have felt they are in a position to offer any update on the state of work on the Ebbw Vale branch.

It makes me feel, at the very least, that Network Rail in Wales must be absolutely appalling in communicating their corporate message (i.e. news) with their neighbours and the public generally. I'd like to be proved wrong!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Over 400 people and counting have now read this post, and none have felt they are in a position to offer any update on the state of work on the Ebbw Vale branch.

It makes me feel, at the very least, that Network Rail in Wales must be absolutely appalling in communicating their corporate message (i.e. news) with their neighbours and the public generally. I'd like to be proved wrong!

The question was asked some weeks ago when the poster said he had heard that tools had been dropped. Somebody asked him for the source of the info but nothing further beyond that. Unfortunately, I'm unable to turn up the thread.

Hwnt52

The reason for doubling a large part of the line was to run a half-hour service. Since ATW don't have enough trains to run a half-hour service I guess tools have indeed been dropped.

davetheguard

Established Member
I'd still expect some sort of announcement about the project's status from somebody - Network Rail or the Welsh Government or even Arriva.

Is the project cancelled permanently?;
Is the project delayed but with a new completion date?;
Is the plan "paused"- perhaps until more DMU's become available; date currently unknown? (to use the current popular terminology);

Surely somebody locally must be asking for answers about what is going on?

Hwnt52

The intention is to improve the service on the branch in three stages - increase the frequency to Cardiff, provide a regular service over the Gaer branch to Newport, and thirdly to relay the branch from Aberbeeg to Abertillery. Doubling a large section of the line is therefore essential. However, ATW cannot provide an increased service since they don't have enough trains, and the ones they do have are ancient, dilapidated and unreliable. ATW's franchise expires in 2018 so this will be an issue for the new franchise holder, but unless somebody can conjure up some reliable extra units nothing much is going to happen soon.

Insider123

Issues with the bridge at crumlin have delayed the project which was due to be done last summer (design delays, escalating costs, missed access windows with TOC).

The current plan is to use the existing bridge and single line over that section which will require updated track and signalling designs and alterations.

Unsure of the timetable, timetable updates are a min of 2 years out!

davetheguard

Established Member
Issues with the bridge at crumlin have delayed the project which was due to be done last summer (design delays, escalating costs, missed access windows with TOC).

The current plan is to use the existing bridge and single line over that section which will require updated track and signalling designs and alterations.

Unsure of the timetable, timetable updates are a min of 2 years out!

Thanks a lot for providing the update on this interesting project.

duffield

Established Member
Shouldn't it be just "Ebbw Vale Doubling"? Re-doubling sounds like four tracks!

Nope. The "re" in this case means "to redo something which was done and then undone" so "re-doubling" simply means double-tracking a line that was at one time double tracked and then singled.
If it had always been single track then it would just be "doubling".

As for four tracks, restoring a four track railway which had been reduced to two tracks would be "re-quadrification" (as in what's currently happening to Filton Bank in Bristol).

Last edited:

Dai Corner

Established Member
Jayne Bryant AM met Network Rail today. She tells me she was told that 'Phase 1 is now complete and Phase 2 is in design stage'

Dai Corner

Established Member
I think she's referring to the Metro.

The Welsh Government (WG) laughably claim that Phase 1 of the Metro included the extension of the Ebbw Vale line from Parkway to Town.

http://gov.wales/topics/transport/p...&utm_medium=shorturl-en&utm_campaign=metro-en

Here's a link to the Twitter conversation

https://twitter.com/jbryantwales/status/879395845929619456

I'm afraid I can't see how to copy into this post but I asked her why the redoubling work had apparently stopped, she replied that it hadn't and that Phase 1 was complete and Phase 2 was in design stage.

I've asked her whether Phase 1 was the Ebbw Vale Town extension and Phase 2 the redoubling.

A question has been asked and 'answered' about this project in the Assembly:

Mohammad Asghar (South Wales West): Will the Welsh Government provide an update and expected completion date for the redoubling of the Ebbw Vale rail line between Cross Keys and Aberbeeg, which was due to be completed by April 2018 as per the 2015 National Transport finance plan? (WAQ74001)

Ken Skates: Network Rail are currently reviewing the scheme objectives, delivery plan, and cost estimates for the scheme. This review will conclude in the autumn 2017, enabling us to determine the most efficient infrastructure solution to enhance frequency and improve the passenger experience along the line. A revised programme will be provided by Network rail as part of the review.

We are currently procuring an operator and delivery partner for Wales and Borders services from 2018 and Metro Phase 2 which will focus on modernising the core Valley Lines and the wider South Wales rail network. This process will also include discussions with bidders on how services from Ebbw Vale to Newport can be best delivered as part of the wider provision of the South Wales Metro.

(3rd question down: http://www.assembly.wales/en/bus-ho...ion&itemid=3473&assembly=5&c=Written Question)

RP

Mohammad Asghar (South Wales West): Will the Welsh Government provide an update and expected completion date for the redoubling of the Ebbw Vale rail line between Cross Keys and Aberbeeg, which was due to be completed by April 2018 as per the 2015 National Transport finance plan? (WAQ74001)

Ken Skates: Network Rail are currently reviewing the scheme objectives, delivery plan, and cost estimates for the scheme. This review will conclude in the autumn 2017, enabling us to determine the most efficient infrastructure solution to enhance frequency and improve the passenger experience along the line. A revised programme will be provided by Network rail as part of the review.

We are currently procuring an operator and delivery partner for Wales and Borders services from 2018 and Metro Phase 2 which will focus on modernising the core Valley Lines and the wider South Wales rail network. This process will also include discussions with bidders on how services from Ebbw Vale to Newport can be best delivered as part of the wider provision of the South Wales Metro.

(3rd question down: http://www.assembly.wales/en/bus-ho...ion&itemid=3473&assembly=5&c=Written Question)

Enquiries I've made with local AM have been similarly fruitless...suggesting that the £40 million agreed some years ago has proved to be insufficiently funded. Meanwhile most of the additional track is in place and piles of sleepers and fittings are just lying there, or were a couple of weeks ago.

WG projects seem these days to start with enthusiasm and then splutter to a halt. Looking back, it's amazing that the Ebbw Vale Town extension and Pye Corner station projects were actually completed, but that's about all in the 9+ years the line has been open.

gareth950

Political speak for Network Rail blew the agreed budget and we are not prepared to give them anymore money.

Last edited:

Insider123

This was a Network Rail IP track project, with Carillion as the civils contractor and Babcock as the track contractor.

Babcock were on track, but the bridge works never proceeded past the detailed design stage.

Track was eventually instructed to stop works due to the escalating projected civils cost and delays due the bridge solution never being approved.

Network Rail have been replaced with Welsh assembly instructing direct to the delivery contractor and I would guess Amey will pick this up when they take over the TOC and maintenance package for Wales due to commence in the next month or so.

I understand the full valley lines electrification package is back on the cards, though do not expect all the funding is allocated.

Even if this got the green light today I would estimate this taking at least 2 years before completion as the full extent of completing would need assessing, access agreeing and time table changes. Albeit a much simpler process when Amey will be the TOC and Construction contractor

Cardiff123

Established Member
This was a Network Rail IP track project, with Carillion as the civils contractor and Babcock as the track contractor.

Babcock were on track, but the bridge works never proceeded past the detailed design stage.

Track was eventually instructed to stop works due to the escalating projected civils cost and delays due the bridge solution never being approved.

Network Rail have been replaced with Welsh assembly instructing direct to the delivery contractor and I would guess Amey will pick this up when they take over the TOC and maintenance package for Wales due to commence in the next month or so.

I understand the full valley lines electrification package is back on the cards, though do not expect all the funding is allocated.

Even if this got the green light today I would estimate this taking at least 2 years before completion as the full extent of completing would need assessing, access agreeing and time table changes. Albeit a much simpler process when Amey will be the TOC and Construction contractor
Amey will only be responsible for the 'Core Valley lines' running out of Queen St though. All other infrastructure in Wales is staying in the hands of Network Rail, and so will be controlled by the DfT. So I don't understand you saying that Welsh Govt are now responsible for Ebbw Vale, as Network Rail will still own and control / be responsible for the Ebbw Vale line.
TfW have promised 2 tph up Ebbw Vale from 2021, 1 tph to Cardiff, 1 tph to Newport. Can that happen without the re-doubling work being completed?
And what do you mean by 'the full Valley lines electrification is back on?' Are there plans to electrify more than what has been confirmed already, e.g. wires to Barry and Penarth as well?

Full electrification is not back on and never will be (just remember that next time the WG attack the U.K. Govt)

The Welsh Govt/Transport for Wales are going to electrify sections of the core valley lines north of Queen Street.

Lines to Aberdare, Merthyr and Treherbert will be served by tram trains and lines to Bargoed/Caerphilly will be served by tri-mode trains (running off diesel, overhead wires and batteries).

I don’t have a map to hand, but the Caerphilly tunnel for example will not be electrified.

Ebbw Vale should be easy to electrify. A third is done as part of the GWML and the remaining two-thirds is a simple fairly modern track.

Actually none of it is done, because it starts from Ebbw/Gaer junctions.

I was clearly referring to the line/journey from Cardiff Central to Ebbw Vale.

Of which Cardiff to the junction is around a third of the distance and covered by the GWML.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Actually none of it is done, because it starts from Ebbw/Gaer junctions.

If we're being pedantic, it could be said that the main line part of the route that would be used by a hypothetical electric Newport/Cardiff-Ebbw Vale service will be electrified as part of the GWML project, as will the first couple of hundred metres of the branch from each junction ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.