• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML level crossing incident 13/06/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint66

Looks like an incident at a level crossing on the ECML is causing major issues this evening:

The emergency services are dealing with an incident between Doncaster and Retford. Whilst they attend the incident, all lines will be closed.

A limited number of LNER trains will be able to divert via Gainsborough. These trains will not be able to call at Retford.

Major disruption is expected to trains until the end of service.

Customer Advice:

LNER are advising customers not to travel.
Tickets dated for today will be valid to travel tomorrow, Monday 14 June.

You are encouraged to use an alternative mode of transport to complete your journey today.

A full refund is also available. Please contact your original point of ticket purchase within 28 days to claim your refund.

You may use your ticket on the following operators services. Please plan your journey carefully as some connections may not be available on these alternative routes:

• Avanti West Coast between London Euston and Edinburgh / Manchester
  • TransPennine Express between Manchester, Leeds and York and Edinburgh
  • East Midlands Railway between London St Pancras International and Sheffield
  • CrossCountry between Sheffield, Leeds, York and Edinburgh
  • Northern between Leeds and York
  • Replacement buses which have been requested at Retford and Newark Northgate

Hull Trains

The 19:52 London Kings Cross to Hull service has terminated at Peterborough. Customers are advised to use the help points or speak to station staff for further information.

Sorry if you are caught up in the disruption affecting
@LNER
services this evening. This is due to a car which has come into contact with the side of a train at a level crossing Thank you for your patience whilst response teams attend.
Quote Tweet

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
A car has been deliberately (allegedly) several times and it has gone through barriers onto track, where the car had struck the rear 2 carriages of 1S30. Driver if car had ran off. No reports of injuries to customers and crew on board the train. But the area is now a crime scene. Priority is the safe evacuation of customers off the train.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I’m sorry to hear of the incident, but am glad to hear from @800001 that no injuries are reported. My thoughts are with everyone involved, who I’m sure must be, even if not injured, extremely shaken by the incident.

snowball

Established Member
Driven on to the track, I think.

An hour or so ago there was a thread about this incident (at Rossington LC) and another incident elsewhere on the ECML (Grantham maybe?), but it has vanished.

I posted in it that misbehaviour at Rossington LC featured in a press release recently:

Established Member
Deliberately what several times?
Rammed I should have said

Driven on to the track, I think.

An hour or so ago there was a thread about this incident (at Rossington LC) and another incident elsewhere on the ECML (Grantham maybe?), but it has vanished.

I posted in it that misbehaviour at Rossington LC featured in a press release recently:

The other incident near Newark was 3 kids trespassing and driver thought he had hit one, once all clear was given line reopened

Established Member
Sleeper going ecml tonight, maybe need diesel tow via Lincoln?

Crossover

Established Member
Photos been posted on YappApp - doesn’t look a pretty sight!

(Link with images should be publicly accessible)

DanNCL

Established Member
The affected train, 1S30 (18:30 Kings Cross - Edinburgh) has been moved at near walking pace onwards to Doncaster station where it arrived at 00:04.

Disruption will almost certainly continue tomorrow as stock is out of place. At present out of place are a 91 and an 80x at Retford, two 80xs at Newark, as well as two more 91s at Kings Cross. No doubt there are probably more trains out of place that I haven't noticed too.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
1S31 is still sitting south of Retford according to Traksy.

No information on JourneyCheck about curtailment, so is this service going to be running through to Edinburgh, considering 1S30 was cancelled. Going to be a long night for the passengers and crew.

The Lowlander Sleeper from London is currently hot on the tail of 1S25 which is the Highlander, both of them are at Grantham.

DJCC

I'm currently caught up in this on what's turned into an LNER sleeper train.

Was on the Grand Central Eaglescliffe-Kings X which turfed us all out at Doncaster. We were then shepherded onto an LNER train which went nowhere for a few hours before a new train was sent down.

This became the 2340 from Doncaster (it wasn't on any of the boards so I assume it was an emergency train) - currently due to arrive at Kings Cross at 0245! Staff have all been great but it's been pretty arduous - a 9 hour trip that should have taken 2-3 hours!

Last edited:

Statto

Established Member
Seems the line is closed between Retford & Doncaster until further notice, some trains are going through Gainsborough, but 3 trains currently at Newark with the sleeper stuck behind

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
it has been reported the car involved was racing another car and were seen deliberately ramming each other before this incident took place. That being true it would be likely that the driver didn't even have a license or insurance and the car was either unregistered or stolen. You cant take idiots like this off the road as they will continue doing it anyway, no doubt having now earned themselves blagging rights and will show no remorse over what they have done, especially if the driver has given it legs from the scene.

When I was in York trains were beginning to stack unable to head south and this was causing station workings issues, with LNERs occupying 10 and 11 and TPE terminators on 5 and 9 not helped by a failed mk5 set on P4. This led to a very unusual sight of 2 separate trains on platform 5, 802206 with the terminated 1P39 which was awaiting 9M19’s arrival to couple and form 5P42 to Doncaster IEP and should have been on 11 with 1P94 headed by 68030 Black Douglas and should have been on 3. 802206 had to shunt out on to the main line south of York to allow 1P94 to depart

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I feel for the passengers on 1S31. Doesn’t look to have been a nice night for them. It is now estimated to arrive into Edinburgh at 05:09.

Statto

Established Member
I feel for the passengers on 1S31. Doesn’t look to have been a nice night for them. It is now estimated to arrive into Edinburgh at 05:09.

Yep, turned into an unofficial sleeper if their going all the way to Edinburgh, now scheduled to arrive 05.20, due to call at Morpeth, Alnmouth & Dunbar too, must admit quite surprised it wasn't terminated short with it being so late.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Yep, turned into an unofficial sleeper if their going all the way to Edinburgh, now scheduled to arrive 05.20, due to call at Morpeth, Alnmouth & Dunbar too, must admit quite surprised it wasn't terminated short with it being so late.
I’m surprised the crews haven’t ran out of hours. Might’ve been aided by the fact that it has a booked crew change at Newcastle. That crew in question would’ve been waiting a number of hours in order to take over the train.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I suppose it depends on whether the traincrew are already in position to take the train forward and what deals have been done to keep them there to take it forward.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I suppose it depends on whether the traincrew are already in position to take the train forward and what deals have been done to keep them there to take it forward.

My thoughts too

Totally agreed. It’s a surprise that they were able to keep the crew waiting, especially given that there was the possibility of the train being further held up or curtailed.

Would this also mean that dispatch staff would’ve had to have stayed on for a longer period too?

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Totally agreed. It’s a surprise that they were able to keep the crew waiting, especially given that there was the possibility of the train being further held up or curtailed.

Would this also mean that dispatch staff would’ve had to have stayed on for a longer period too?
Depends really, the major stations will be as a minimum single manned overnight with a supervisor, the smaller stations may have a side gate which could be used for access/egress if the main exit is usually through a building. But in some cases yes, staff may have been asked to stay late to assist.

Sleepy

Established Member
Just seen the video of cctv coverage at the crossing - if the car had been a few seconds earlier would have been a catastrophic outcome !!

Established Member
Just seen the video of cctv coverage at the crossing - if the car had been a few seconds earlier would have been a catastrophic outcome !!
It looked a very heavy impact. Lucky the train did not derail.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I wonder if they find the drive what they will get, probably a fine and a slapped wrist because no-body died. I would be great it was their own car if the ROSCO, Network rail etc hit them (or the insurance company) with all costs of the incident.

mpthomson

I wonder if they find the drive what they will get, probably a fine and a slapped wrist because no-body died. I would be great it was their own car if the ROSCO, Network rail etc hit them (or the insurance company) with all costs of the incident.
1. Highly unlikely that they were insured
2. Dangerous driving convictions for things of this severity normally get jail time, particularly if the driver(s) weren't insured or were disqual, or under the influence of drugs/alcohol, some or all of which would seem likely given the nature of the incident.

zwk500

Veteran Member
On costs if they're not insured (as is almost certain) the amount the railway can recover will be limited to what assets are available in the drivers name. It's unlikely to cover even a fraction of 1% of the costs of the incident.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

If the driver has been caught, and is subsequently charged and convicted, he (they are usually male!) will be enjoying a stretch at one of Her Majesty's hotels.

Status
Not open for further replies.