• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML Power Supply Upgrade

MadMac

As the works were undertaken in 2017, I think it was a case of "while you're here..." for AmcoGiffen. It might have been a small part of the signalling power supply upgrade, which may or may not be separate to the traction power supply upgrade. I don't know for certain as I'm not on either project!

Those arrangements date from the 1970s, so would be getting somewhat “long in the tooth”. Also, when ECML was electrified, I think they kept the standby generators for the signal 650 rather than going over to traction standby, so would this work include that?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I notice ECML power supply upgrade gets discussed in the latest Informed Sources. Says not one but two SFCs - static frequency converters are going in at Marshall Meadows as well as the other two.

Last edited:

geoffk

Established Member
Sorry for seeming a bit ignorant on this subject, but is this about allowing more electric operation north of Newcastle? I read that TPE was having run its bi-mode trains on diesel, as there's not enough power between Marshall Meadows and Dunbar. I also saw a report saying that electric locos could no longer run north of York. Is that correct?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Sorry for seeming a bit ignorant on this subject, but is this about allowing more electric operation north of Newcastle? I read that TPE was having run its bi-mode trains on diesel, as there's not enough power between Marshall Meadows and Dunbar. I also saw a report saying that electric locos could no longer run north of York. Is that correct?
Yes that’s exactly what it’s for. (In fact the problem is from Chathill, as that’s the southern limit of Marshall Meadows feeding area.) As usual it’s possibly going to be finished about 4 years too late. AFAICT it was needed even before the TPE and First open access services were approved. VIrgin‘s extra trains to/from Edinburgh in their full IET timetable also needed more power through Northumberland, at the time of application they should have been running since May this year...

However, as I was asking in post #54 a few days ago, it’s always theoretically possible that the extra power can get provided early in the overall project.

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
I notice ECML power supply upgrade gets discussed in the latest Informed Sources. Says not one but two SFCs - static frequency converters are going in at Marshall Meadow as well as the other two.
Indeed it does. That's one already in at Potteric Carr, one to go in at Hambleton Junction, and two to go in at Marshall Meadows - which makes me wonder if one there's for backup.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Indeed it does. That's one already in at Potteric Carr, one to go in at Hambleton Junction, and two to go in at Marshall Meadows - which makes me wonder if one there's for backup.
Perhaps they are a standard off the shelf size device, and it‘s easier to use two working in parallel, or maybe even one feeding away in each direction? I think someone mentioned earlier that they could operate synchronised with another?

59CosG95

Established Member
Perhaps they are a standard off the shelf size device, and it‘s easier to use two working in parallel, or maybe even one feeding away in each direction? I think someone mentioned earlier that they could operate synchronised with another?
They're pretty meaty in size...
images (8).jpeg
This is one of Siemens' offerings in Nürnberg.

Unrelated, but since it's the traction transformers that are bypassed by the SFCs, I don't see there being any reason why autotransformers can't be used alongside.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thinking about Marshall Meadows again, (as we drifted into a slightly off topic discussion in the recent thread about the Berwick OHLE damage), I thought it worth asking a question here.

Now we usually refer to “grid supplies” but it seems Marshall Meadows has a pair of 33 kV supplies from the local area substation at Low Cocklaw. (They’re presumably single phase supplies - Google Streetview clearly shows two independent rows of wooden posts, each carrying one pair of conductors).

Edit 8 Jun 21 to add that further information found since describes this as a 132kV supply.

AAA1250F-C661-4EC8-9974-E2637CED8016.jpeg

The substation at Low Cocklaw has an incoming 132 kV supply from the 400 kV grid near Eccles (Borders).

My source of info ”Open Infrastructure Map”: https://openinframap.org/#2/26/12

Edit 8 Jun 2021 this map now considered very likely to be wrong.

C6100A7E-082B-42C4-BF58-98A472787EFA.jpeg

Edit when rechecked 13 Aug 2023 the twin circuits to Marshall Meadows have now been updated to 132 kV. I’ve also since noticed a warning sign on an overhead mast, visible where the route crosses Duns Road, is signed as 132 kV.

Open Infrastructure Map.png

I read somewhere that there were two aspects to the Marshall Meadows work, strengthening the supply and installing SFCs. The latter are 3 phase devices as we’ve been discussing, so is there an implication that the whole overhead post run from Cocklaws will have to be converted to a 3 phase supply? If so, how would this be done quickly without supply interruption? Could they reconnect at either end and effectively use the same conductors in a 2+1 configuration?

Last edited:

thecrofter

Thinking about Marshall Meadows again, (as we drifted into a slightly off topic discussion in the recent thread about the Berwick OHLE damage), I thought it worth asking a question here.

Now we usually refer to “grid supplies” but it seems Marshall Meadows has a pair of 33 kV supplies from the local area substation at Cocklaws. (They’re presumably single phase supplies - Google Streetview clearly shows two independent rows of wooden posts, each carrying one pair of conductors).

View attachment 84727

It is the substation that has the incoming 132 kV supply from the 400 kV grid near Eccles (Borders).

View attachment 84726

It's been a long time since I was at MM (2001 ish?) but I recall that the two incoming feeds were only 10MVA and are actually 2 x 25 kV not 33 kV as you suggest. Other 25 kV direct pole mounted supplies I can think of include Little Barford and Newark. The term 'Grid Supplies' of course goes back to the CEGB days long before privatisation where splitting the Transmission and Distribution networks came about hence why the "railway" still refers to their incoming supplies as grid supplies even though they may technically be from a DNO.

59CosG95

Established Member

Now we usually refer to “grid supplies” but it seems Marshall Meadows has a pair of 33 kV supplies from the local area substation at Cocklaws. (They’re presumably single phase supplies - Google Streetview clearly shows two independent rows of wooden posts, each carrying one pair of conductors).

View attachment 84727

It is the substation that has the incoming 132 kV supply from the 400 kV grid near Eccles (Borders).

View attachment 84726

I read somewhere that there were two aspects to the Marshall Meadows work, strengthening the supply and installing SFCs. The latter are 3 phase devices as we’ve been discussing, so is there an implication that the whole overhead post run from Cocklaws will have to be converted to a 3 phase supply? If so, how would this be done quickly without supply interruption? Could they reconnect at either end and effectively use the same conductors in a 2+1 configuration?
I personally wouldn't be surprised if they built a short run of new pylons from Cocklaws to MM, running new wires "offline" and connecting them in such a way that one of the 33kV is still feeding MM until the transfer is complete.
Most MFDs I've seen use 2 of the three phases from the grid (e.g. Blue/Yellow, Yellow/Red, or Red/Blue). It's likely, IMO, that each wooden pole carries one of those phases.

AFAIK Essendine & Coreys Mill are the only 400kV 3-phase supplies on the ECML.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So is it also possible that the two SFCs for Marshall Meadows don’t need to be at the side of the railway at all, and could just as easily be put in a new extended compound at the substation end of the wire run?

Hence this wording being used in NR’s description of phase 2?
”Introduction of 2 New Static Frequency Converter Compounds at 132kV supply connection points.”

Last edited:

thecrofter

Just looked back at the opening post and noticed an error...

Removed Substations
  • 84m 56ch: Tallington FS - now Tallington TSC, old FS removed after replacement by Essendine

Tallington wasn't a feeder station but the mid-point TSC between Bretton and Bytham.

WAO

The original problem at Marshall Meadows is explained in Semmens' book, "Electrifying the East Coast Route", p88, Fig 15, for those with access to it.

The distance between Marshall Meadows (a quite low rated FS, it seems) and Ulgham Crossing (single feed) to the South is some 48 miles with Innerwick FS being 22 miles to the North. Not only did this provide a thin power supply but all of the TSC's needed neutral sections for emergency operation;the worst case being a 70 mile gap in supply (normally c25miles). In this case, drivers were told to limit power use above 45mph over affected sections.

It probably reflects the real achievement of 1980's BR engineers; to find technical solutions in the narrow gap between what Physics will allow and HM Treasury will afford.

WAO

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The original problem at Marshall Meadows is explained in Semmens' book, "Electrifying the East Coast Route", p88, Fig 15, for those with access to it.

The distance between Marshall Meadows (a quite low rated FS, it seems) and Ulgham Crossing (single feed) to the South is some 48 miles with Innerwick FS being 22 miles to the North. Not only did this provide a thin power supply but all of the TSC's needed neutral sections for emergency operation;the worst case being a 70 mile gap in supply (normally c25miles). In this case, drivers were told to limit power use above 45mph over affected sections.

It probably reflects the real achievement of 1980's BR engineers; to find technical solutions in the narrow gap between what Physics will allow and HM Treasury will afford.

WAO
Yes, I have it. He refers to it as the Northumberland Gap as I recall.

He then appears to simplify his description somewhat, by writing that Marshall Meadows is fed from the Eccles 400 kV supply...

Last edited:

WAO

Perhaps he was confusing it with Elvanfoot on the WCML. I suppose the supply did come off the SG eventually.

I found his book was better than OS Nock's pair on the WCML. He really couldn't forget Steam loco's!

WAO

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I recently saw on LinkedIn that Essendine FS' two Triple Pole Disconnectors (glorified switchgear) for feeding in both directions have been commissioned. https://www.linkedin.com/posts/capi...dbackbetter-activity-6765250951570882560-iRAg
Wow - still looks like some really serious kit. Good to see. The feed says KX TO Edinburgh - I know the whole route is being upgraded and it says 24 months, but I thought this was being done in stages -or is it all being done in parallel (no pun intended)? Although all needed I had assumed north of Newcastle was in most need of dire attention.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Wow - still looks like some really serious kit. Good to see. The feed says KX TO Edinburgh - I know the whole route is being upgraded and it says 24 months, but I thought this was being done in stages -or is it all being done in parallel (no pun intended)? Although all needed I had assumed north of Newcastle was in most need of dire attention.
Phase 1, ECML south, was reported by Network Rail to be started in 2014 and completed in 2020. Phase 2, ECML north, is reported as just starting last September. That’s according to this NR summary:

snowball

Established Member
Sorry to be dense but if Essendine is an FS, and if FS means Feeder Station, does that mean a connection to the grid there?

OS mapping does not seem to show any overhead power lines near Essendine.

Elecman

Established Member
Sorry to be dense but if Essendine is an FS, and if FS means Feeder Station, does that mean a connection to the grid there?

OS mapping does not seem to show any overhead power lines near Essendine.
The 25 kV supply cables from the National Grid are ussually buried cables where the 400kV lines aren’t near the Feeder Station

snowball

Established Member
Thanks. Actually I was not looking properly. Looking again, there's a power line parallel to the railway about 1km to the west (and another about 4km away to the east).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks. Actually I was not looking properly. Looking again, there's a power line parallel to the railway about 1km to the west (and another about 4km away to the east).
Have you tried searching for it on the open infrastructure map I linked in post #68 a while ago? Takes a bit of lining up their map with a satellite view, but it might help...

Ediswan

Established Member
I am a bit late to this thread. Is this the lime green ducting marked as 25kV which appeared in the vicinity of Stevenage a few years ago ? If so, are there any handy links as to why this new approach is being used ?

59CosG95

Established Member
King's Cross (well, Wood Green) to Bawtry (South of Doncaster) is Phase 1 - Bawtry to Edinburgh is Phase 2. Phase 1's been underway for a little while now, but there are still a few outstanding things to complete.
I'm not sure if the new Siemens ASG building (inc. SCADA equipment) at Wood Green has been commissioned yet, but the following Phase 1 works have been completed:
  • Disconnection of Booster Transformers & conversion of Return Conductor to de-facto Aerial Earth Wire (inc. associated changeover of supports)
  • Replacement of legacy Mid-Point TSC at Potters Bar with standard TSC, removal of Potters Bar Neutral Section, and replacement with Insulated Overlap
    • New structures for switching installed
  • Replacement of legacy Welwyn 'B' FS with an ATFS - AT feeds north in troughed cable route, boosterless classic from Welwyn 'A' feeds south
    • New structures for switching installed
  • Renewal of switchgear at Disgwell TSL
  • Replacement of legacy Langley Junction FS, Coreys Mill Switching Site & Hitchin FS with Langley Jn SATS, Coreys Mill (Wymondley) ATFS, and Hitchin SATS
    • Hitchin is the limit of AT feeding on the ECML
    • Hitchin Neutral Section removed & replaced with insulated overlap
    • ATs currently isolated at Coreys Mill
    • Both Hitchin & Langley were on Wymondley Grid (400kV)
    • Legacy feeder at Langley not yet dismantled
    • New structures for switching installed at all 3 locations, inc. on Cambridge flyover branch at Hitchin
  • New cable route laid from Nene FS to Bretton FS - Nene will be decommissioned, and Pboro Central Sub will feed south of Bretton Neutral Section (Bretton Sub will feed north if Essendine is down)
  • Installation of new Feeder at Essendine (400kV from Ryhall Grid), and insulated overlap between switches
    • Feeds south to Bretton (pending removal of Neutral Section at Tallington) & north to Bytham
  • Replacement of legacy Huntingdon, Stoke, Claypole, Tuxford & Bawtry TSCs with new ASG buildings, and old TSCs removed (MPTSC in Bawtry's case)
  • New Cable route laid from legacy Newark FS (Staythorpe Sub) to existing MPTSC at North Muskham - this will turn the site into a defacto FS while Newark is decommissioned
Work that still needs completing AIUI:
  • Replacement of legacy FSs at Little Barford, Bretton, Bytham, Grantham North, Retford
  • Removal of OHNS at Biggleswade MPTSC (legacy building retained, busbar reconfigured so site becomes a plain TSC)
  • Removal of Nene & Newark FSs
  • Removal of Tallington TSC & the associated OHNS
  • Upgrade of North Muskham to take Newark's supply
  • Upgrade of Bretton to take Nene's supply

I am a bit late to this thread. Is this the lime green ducting marked as 25kV which appeared in the vicinity of Stevenage a few years ago ? If so, are there any handy links as to why this new approach is being used ?
Yes, the lime green 25kV ducting is the troughed ATF route - presumably done that way to minimise cost and disruption over a (ridiculously short) length of track.

Worth noting too that the Hertford Loop still operates with a RC/BT configuration.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
For those interested in the nitty gritty of the ECML power upgrade, there’s a couple of planning applications on Northumberland Council planning site for the 2 new SFCs and replacement Feeder Station at Marshall Meadows. The paperwork for the two applications is very similar, they both have the same main drawings, so I couldn’t work out why they’re separate.

20/03458/FUL Change of use from agricultural land to operational railway to facilitate the siting of 1x Feeder Station and associated works in connection with power supply upgrade of the East Coast Main Line | East Coast Electrical Substation South East Of Marshall Meadows Berwick-Upon-Tweed Northumberland.

20/03459/FUL | Change of use : agricultural to operational railway for siting of 2 x Static Frequency Converters and associated works in connection with power supply upgrade of the East Coast Main Line | East Coast Electrical Substation South East Of Marshall Meadows Berwick-Upon-Tweed Northumberland.

When we discussed Marshall Meadows grid connections a few months ago there was some doubt about the supply voltage, and I quoted the openinfrastructure map which showed 33kV, but the drawings provided here refer to 132kV supplies to the SFC compounds via 6 underground cables fed from the existing grid compound. That suggests an upgrade to 3 phase for the overhead grid supply from High Cocklaw. (Grid = Scottish Power Electricity Network (SPEN) at this location, although in England.)

I’ve attached an image of a pdf drawing, it is a relatively massive site compared to the existing NR Feeder Station that will be removed, that is shown lower right in green between the SPEN compound and the ECML.

Hope this is of interest:

ACCA000C-E245-4D2B-854D-539175995270.jpeg

Last edited:

Mcq

What are/need for Static Frequency Converters - isn't it 50 Hz in and out?
Or are these some form of chopper device?

hwl

Established Member
What are/need for Static Frequency Converters - isn't it 50 Hz in and out?
Or are these some form of chopper device?
[Very simplified version]
Traditional supplies created a single phase traction supply by connecting the primary transformer winding between two of the grid /distribution network's three phases thus creating an imbalance as there is no draw from the third. the imbalance limits how much power can be drawn at the supply point, which can be an issue at lower voltage and capacity supply points of which Marshall Meadows is one.
An SFC arrangement allows power to be drawn equally from all three phases (as 3rd rail supplies do with different transformer arrangement, but they can get away with having a non sinusoidal transformer output pre-rectification) with no imbalance allowing much more power to be drawn compared to a traditional feed arrangement.

Take the cost saving attributed to SFC in general with pinch of salt as a good half are due to lower switch gear requirements which also no apply to new traditional feeders making them cheaper too compared to few years ago.

Mcq

[Very simplified version]
Traditional supplies created a single phase traction supply by connecting the primary transformer winding between two of the grid /distribution network's three phases thus creating an imbalance as there is no draw from the third. the imbalance limits how much power can be drawn at the supply point, which can be an issue at lower voltage and capacity supply points of which Marshall Meadows is one.
An SFC arrangement allows power to be drawn equally from all three phases (as 3rd rail supplies do with different transformer arrangement, but they can get away with having a non sinusoidal transformer output pre-rectification) with no imbalance allowing much more power to be drawn compared to a traditional feed arrangement.

Take the cost saving attributed to SFC in general with pinch of salt as a good half are due to lower switch gear requirements which also no apply to new traditional feeders making them cheaper too compared to few years ago.
Many thanks @hwl for treating me gently!
So if I've got it half right, SFCs are 3 phase (grid) to DC converters followed by DC to single phase (OLE) converters.
Do i understand this allows for (amongst other things) less neutral sections and therefore a better chance of sharing of regenerative power?
It is staggering the 'abuse' that solid state electronics will stand. It took me ages to grasp that the intercontinental connectors ran as DC in the cable - partly to minimise losses but of course to deal with phase (frequency).
Thanks again.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Many thanks @hwl for treating me gently!
So if I've got it half right, SFCs are 3 phase (grid) to DC converters followed by DC to single phase (OLE) converters.
Do i understand this allows for (amongst other things) less neutral sections and therefore a better chance of sharing of regenerative power?
It is staggering the 'abuse' that solid state electronics will stand. It took me ages to grasp that the intercontinental connectors ran as DC in the cable - partly to minimise losses but of course to deal with phase (frequency).
Thanks again.
The reason for neutral sections is fundamentally because different parts of the OLE are fed from different phases of the Grid, so they are out of phase with each other and a major short circuit would result if they were electrically connected. In theory, SFCs could make the entire OLE network synchronised so that neutral sections were unnecessary. However I think that would cause other complications, such as what happens if there is a short circuit being fed from more than one place rather than just one at present.

Unless the above is achieved, I don't think the SFCs reduce the number of neutral sections, and they may even increase if there are more small feeders feeding to smaller areas of OLE.