• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh Tour Operators: Bright Bus, Lothian (Majestic, Three Bridges) etc.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Also, if pre-recorded and the bus needs to divert and not pass a certain landmark, some tourists may get confused why the audio is talking about x landmark which they can't see, which would not be good. A live guide, however, would mean more details could be given, and more importantly, questions can be asked and answered.
I think generally most systems are geo tracked and can skip certain things, if its programmed to do so.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

danielwilkie

Also, if pre-recorded and the bus needs to divert and not pass a certain landmark, some tourists may get confused why the audio is talking about x landmark which they can't see, which would not be good. A live guide, however, would mean more details could be given, and more importantly, questions can be asked and answered.
The pre recorded commentary is pretty advanced that it has individual tracks to play by the driver which plays in different languages. There is also additional tracks on each subject which can be played to suit heavier traffic.

When the service is diverted the driver can select different tracks to play or alternative tracks that suit the location.

There should be enough tracks to play that the commentary is always talking about something relative to the place or Edinburgh itself. It's also interesting as each driver will use different tracks so no one tour will be the same

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I have inadvertently opened a can of worms it would seem. I totally agree that the live guide is the best but not all all Lothian tours as I understand it have a live guide unless this is changing? So my comment was based purely on the pre-recorded commentary comparison between the two operators having sampled both. But obviously an opinion isn't allowed in here anymore

danielwilkie

I have inadvertently opened a can of worms it would seem. I totally agree that the live guide is the best but not all all Lothian tours as I understand it have a live guide unless this is changing? So my comment was based purely on the pre-recorded commentary comparison between the two operators having sampled both. But obviously an opinion isn't allowed in here anymore
Both options serve a purpose and do so very well. With Lothian, only the Edinburgh tour and boat tours offer a live guide while the others have recorded commentary.

One thing about pre-recorded is that people forget the amount of translations it offers, which is a big attraction in itself. If you're an English speaker, a live guide with good humour is the attraction.

I know Bright Bus Tours use the same hardware for the commentary but can't comment if they are any better as I have heard the tracks they have.

Last edited by a moderator:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Saw one of the Plaxton BBT open tops yesterday on South Bridge out of service, so I guess they haven't moved on despite reports to the contrary? (not sure which one it was, think it was the DAF chassis one).

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Saw one of the Plaxton BBT open tops yesterday on South Bridge out of service, so I guess they haven't moved on despite reports to the contrary? (not sure which one it was, think it was the DAF chassis one).
Only Ex-Lothian 32726/7 have moved. The rest will be needed for the new route.

Volvodart

Established Member
The Bright Bus Tours website now has a copy of the new leaflet for the 2 tours starting next week, although not much information is there, apart from that, and booking is not available.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I pity the poor bugger that has to wander round in this costume, especially with the predicted hot weather over the next few days!

Edinburgh Bus Tours has welcomed a new addition to its team: ‘Cobbles’ the Scottie Dog, the company’s new official ambassador.

Named after Edinburgh’s setted streets, Cobbles will be greeting customers as they board one of the company’s four bus tours departing from St Andrew Square. Joining the team as the summer holidays kick off, Cobbles stands at nearly 6ft tall and wears the official Edinburgh Bus Tours tartan, produced by Kinloch Anderson in 2014.

Gaynor Marshall, Communications Director said: “Edinburgh Bus Tours is a five-star attraction and with the rise of staycations this summer, we offer a fun experience for all the family and with our kids go free offer on our city tours, we hope to see lots of people chasing Cobble’s tail this summer!”

Bus9120UK

Established Member
One of the plain yellow Edinburgh Tour buses has finally come on the road, on the Edinburgh Tour service.

LiviCrazy

Finally took a Bright Bus Tour today, went on the Britannia Tour. Thought it was an excellent service. Regular enough to get on and off at points and a nice long tour, very good value for money. The audio guide is very informative too, I learned things I didn’t know about Edinburgh and been going there for years.

It’s a tad competitive around St Andrew Square. The Edinburgh Bus Tours guides not really accepting a no when I was saying I was going for the BBT. But all polite enough.

scosutsut

I was in town today, not to tour but saw both were getting good loads, open top decks generally 1/2 full at least.

Even the bus and boat tour was well loaded, I've only ever seen it empty before!

Super competitive for business both teams of street hawkers borderline jumping people! The competing two on Waverley Bridge in particular.

Would put me off personally but the one that gives in will be the one that doesn't get the business so I get it.

St Andrews square constantly lined with buses, six fitting in the stance / line with more trying to turn it and get space.

Lothian using their Gemini 3s as normal, BBT seemed to largely have E400s on the A1 and the older Presidents and ALX400s on A2 but not exclusively.

Lothian were offering kids go free, but couldn't see their pricing to see how it compared and I didn't want to show an interest lest I be mauled :D

LiviCrazy

I was in town today, not to tour but saw both were getting good loads, open top decks generally 1/2 full at least.

Even the bus and boat tour was well loaded, I've only ever seen it empty before!

Super competitive for business both teams of street hawkers borderline jumping people! The competing two on Waverley Bridge in particular.

Would put me off personally but the one that gives in will be the one that doesn't get the business so I get it.

St Andrews square constantly lined with buses, six fitting in the stance / line with more trying to turn it and get space.

Lothian using their Gemini 3s as normal, BBT seemed to largely have E400s on the A1 and the older Presidents and ALX400s on A2 but not exclusively.

Lothian were offering kids go free, but couldn't see their pricing to see how it compared and I didn't want to show an interest lest I be mauled

Yes, both sides seemed to be having very busy buses, especially around lunch time. It was good to see.

in regards to the competition it was a little much, as soon as we walked over to the BBT seller, three EBT sellers approached in succession but will accept it’s probably the same the other way.

I like the variety of vehicles on the BBT personally, it’s how I associate Open Top Tours older buses that had often lost their roofs to bridges etc. Personally I think it’s sad Lothian got rid of the Mactours as I think it’s a shame they all have exactly the same buses on them, a bit soulless, but that’s just my opinion. Will say the Presidents struggled with the long hill up from the Botanics to the City Centre especially when they got caught by the lights.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
As somebody else has said it I'm going to agree with it, I think Lothians current tours operation is a bit corporate and solis and I do not hesitate to recommend bright bus tours to anybody now who wants a recommendation, today when on a very simple trip to the supermarket it was family with two kids, one pre-teen and one in the mid teens both of who were v keen to do one

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Yes, both sides seemed to be having very busy buses, especially around lunch time. It was good to see.

in regards to the competition it was a little much, as soon as we walked over to the BBT seller, three EBT sellers approached in succession but will accept it’s probably the same the other way.

I like the variety of vehicles on the BBT personally, it’s how I associate Open Top Tours older buses that had often lost their roofs to bridges etc. Personally I think it’s sad Lothian got rid of the Mactours as I think it’s a shame they all have exactly the same buses on them, a bit soulless, but that’s just my opinion. Will say the Presidents struggled with the long hill up from the Botanics to the City Centre especially when they got caught by the lights.

From an enthusiasts point of view I'd travel on the operator with the more interesting fleet - in this case BBT.

I doubt the average customer really cares that much about the fleet - if anything I think a standard modern fleet on the face of it is probably more attractive than buses that much visibly older and varied.

Plus EBT offers discounted entry and other benefits with tickets - obviously not for everyone but at similar (or better) price points it does offer overall value for money. Obviously not of interest to some people who are quite content with sitting on an open top bus to see Edinburgh whatever it looks like or says on the side!

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Lothian have added yellow banners above the destination screen on Edinburgh Tour branded vehicles. These banners state the price for adults onboard the tour, and how travel for children is free. A (personally) good move to try get customers off Bright Bus Tours onto Lothian - which in my opinion provide better tour services.

Scott mac

Lothian have added yellow banners above the destination screen on Edinburgh Tour branded vehicles. These banners state the price for adults onboard the tour, and how travel for children is free. A (personally) good move to try get customers off Bright Bus Tours onto Lothian - which in my opinion provide better tour services.
Having used all the tours Lothian are miles better

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Bright's recorded commentary is better than Lothian's, in my view.

But obviously, if you're going to want a live guide then only Lothian can currently offer this service.

There's a place in the market for them both, but I will continue to recommend BBT, for no other reason than the fact that it's pretty common knowledge now that the city of Edinburgh council regard Lothian buses, and all they do as one gigantic cash cow.

As I don't agree with this, or how it's being spent, I'd rather put the money somewhere else.

danielwilkie

Lothian changed the recorded commentary a few years back and in my mind simplified it taking out much of the interesting information. They also got rid of much of the filler tracks as well which got used in traffic and diversions. BBT wins in my view with this.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I actually know one of the voice-over artist that did the new refresh version and they sent me a copy. Naughty naughty I know but having had a listen I can totally agree with what you're saying, it's a pale shadow of what it once was.

vla50

They're already advertised as having (and I quote) 'upgraded engines' - are they not euro 6?
Regarding which ones as IIRC the ex Lothian Tridents were Euro 2 when they entered the fleet, I would imagine some the DB250s had some emission work done to them when they were working in London though perhaps not at a Euro 6 hence why some departed from the RATP group - not too sure about the ex Cambus & Scotland ALX400s though but I know some of the ALXs have received upgrade work to Euro 6

Jordan Adam

Established Member
They've all either had Euro4 engines from new (E400s) or have been refitted to Euro4/5 Cummins ISB engines (Tridents & DB250s) prior to First buying them. I believe some if not all have additionally had exhaust upgrades to Euro 6.