• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh Sightseeing by Bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good morning,

All being well I am going to Edinburgh for a few days soon, not been there for ages. I intend to get one of the £ 4.00 day rover that is valid on the trams and Lothian buses. Does anyone know what would be a good Lothian bus or buses to view the main tourist sites without having to get one of the Hop On Hop Off tourist buses? Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom1791

That's a good question and lots of Edinburgh can be seen without paying lots on the tour buses.
Getting to the Royal mile, Dynamic Earth and Holyrood park and palace is easy by the service 6 from Hanover Street (every 30 minutes) or the skylink 300 bus from tollcross (every 12 minutes). The 300 also serves the national museum of Scotland along with the 41, 23 and 27, again from Hanover Street (or the 45 from regent road/north bridge)
If you're wanting to visit the royal yacht brittania then the 22 is your easiest option right to ocean terminal terminus.

If your wanting to get away from the tourist hotspots then the service 10 is a perticular favourite of mine. It is a lovely route which goes from western harbour (near the royal yacht) right into the nearby pentlands Hills. You can get the 16 back from Colinton near the terminus of the pentlands too which goes through the busy area of morningside which has lots of individual shops and cafes.

Hopefully this is of some help :)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
That's a good question and lots of Edinburgh can be seen without paying lots on the tour buses.
Getting to the Royal mile, Dynamic Earth and Holyrood park and palace is easy by the service 6 from Hanover Street (every 30 minutes) or the skylink 300 bus from tollcross (every 12 minutes). The 300 also serves the national museum of Scotland along with the 41, 23 and 27, again from Hanover Street (or the 45 from regent road/north bridge)
If you're wanting to visit the royal yacht brittania then the 22 is your easiest option right to ocean terminal terminus.

If your wanting to get away from the tourist hotspots then the service 10 is a perticular favourite of mine. It is a lovely route which goes from western harbour (near the royal yacht) right into the nearby pentlands Hills. You can get the 16 back from Colinton near the terminus of the pentlands too which goes through the busy area of morningside which has lots of individual shops and cafes.

Hopefully this is of some help :)

Thank you for this info Tom1791, it is really helpful, I do intend going to HMY Brittania, so had sussed out the 22, I just looked up the other two routes you mentioned and they look good too and would fit in well with my plans, hopefully they will all come in that day ticket at £ 4.00, so very good value for money.

Kind regards.

AntoniC

When I was in Edinburgh this week ( Tues/Wed), I walked everywhere !
On the last day I walked 5.7 miles !
If you want something to do, go on one of the many walking tours that you can book in advance.
I did a Tour with this Company : http://www.neweuropetours.eu/edinburgh/en/home : called the Dark Side Of Edinburgh.
It cost me £10 and lasted 2 hours and was really interesting.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
When I was in Edinburgh this week ( Tues/Wed), I walked everywhere !
On the last day I walked 5.7 miles !
If you want something to do, go on one of the many walking tours that you can book in advance.
I did a Tour with this Company : http://www.neweuropetours.eu/edinburgh/en/home : called the Dark Side Of Edinburgh.
It cost me £10 and lasted 2 hours and was really interesting.
Ok thank you for this link too. Just keeping fingers crossed that the weather will be ok.

AntoniC

Ok thank you for this link too. Just keeping fingers crossed that the weather will be ok.

I agree- the weather is everything !

It was drizzling Tuesday night when I did the walk, it didnt ruin the tour but it was annoying.

Enjoy Edinburgh - I did !

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thanks for everybody's tips. I had a great time in Edinburgh. I hope to go back perhaps in the New Year, as there was still alot that I was not able to do. HMY Britannia was really interesting.

Local bus/tram £ 4.00 and train £ 18.00 pass were very handy and well used.

Return yesterday was delayed owing to problems between Bletchley & Watford which caused knock on effects back to Lancaster. Had to detrain at Crewe.

Status
Not open for further replies.