• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to London - BA vs. LNER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
I'm itching to get away for a few days, so I'm looking at a trip to London.

I'm very used to travelling this route by both plane and train, and usually the deciding factor is price. In terms of convenience, comfort and speed, I generally don't find there to be much in it. At the moment, though, I'd value people's thoughts on what the experience is like on each mode.

If I fly, I'll go with BA as I have credit from them for a trip I had to cancel in March. I'm also tempted because if I take a return flight in business class - which won't cost much on top of the credit - I'll advance a tier in the Executive Club. Downside is airports being even nastier places than usual at the moment. Are BA's lounges open at the moment?

LNER are tempting because of cheap tickets, and socially distanced reservations offering the prospect of lots of space.

Any thoughts on how to make the choice? I'm genuinely conflicted!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greyman42

Established Member
If it's space your after then LNER will probably be the best option. Book one of the fast services (last stop York) as they are usually the quietest. If your reserved seat is in a relatively busy coach there is usually emptier coaches in other parts of the train. I have not had any problems yet for not sitting in my allocated seat.

Journeyman

Established Member
If it's space your after then LNER will probably be the best option. Book one of the fast services (last stop York) as they are usually the quietest. If your reserved seat is in a relatively busy coach there is usually emptier coaches in other parts of the train. I have not had any problems yet for not sitting in my allocated seat.

Cheers. I'm edging towards train, following a look at Edinburgh Airport's website, which makes the flying experience look grim.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I would say that for this journey, LNER is preferable.

However, I travelled through Heathrow T2 yesterday and it was fairly pleasant. Masks and sanitizer were provided before you went through the usual security process and then air side. It was fairly calm and subdued and everyone had plenty of space to spread out in the cafes and main seating areas.

route101

Established Member
Last LNER journey , there was repeated announcements to sit in your allocated seat and they switched off the reservation displays to prevent people moving.

BA , used to fly them from Glasgow to London,but last few years fares have gone up , train for me me,

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'm on a domestic flight tomorrow into Scotland so can report back how it is - probably much preferable to train tbh (and far cheaper too)

Journeyman

Established Member
I'm on a domestic flight tomorrow into Scotland so can report back how it is - probably much preferable to train tbh (and far cheaper too)

I'd be interested to hear, but given that LNER are currently selling first class tickets for £40 each way, I'm pretty sure that's my mind made up.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'd be interested to hear, but given that LNER are currently selling first class tickets for £40 each way, I'm pretty sure that's my mind made up.
In that case definitely go for LNER - the 1st class experience is far better than what you'll get for a reasonable cost on the plane.

packermac

I'm itching to get away for a few days, so I'm looking at a trip to London.

I'm very used to travelling this route by both plane and train, and usually the deciding factor is price. In terms of convenience, comfort and speed, I generally don't find there to be much in it. At the moment, though, I'd value people's thoughts on what the experience is like on each mode.

If I fly, I'll go with BA as I have credit from them for a trip I had to cancel in March. I'm also tempted because if I take a return flight in business class - which won't cost much on top of the credit - I'll advance a tier in the Executive Club. Downside is airports being even nastier places than usual at the moment. Are BA's lounges open at the moment?

LNER are tempting because of cheap tickets, and socially distanced reservations offering the prospect of lots of space.

Any thoughts on how to make the choice? I'm genuinely conflicted!
When did BA introduce business class on domestic flights? I am out of touch not having worked there since 2012

eoff

Depends how much you value the EC upgrade. If it is from Bronze or higher I would go with the flight if you are not likely to fly again this year.

eoff

When did BA introduce business class on domestic flights? I am out of touch not having worked there since 2012

EDI-LHR used to be single class but there was an outcry from people who had long haul Business Class tickets from EDI via London and found themselves having to pay for food/drink when BA dropped the free meal/refreshments service. They subsequently introduced a business class fare on the route. Meanwhile people like me moved to CityJet LCY for London as you still got refreshments and KLM via AMS for long-haul (I'm not sure of the current KLM refreshments situation.)

Journeyman

Established Member
Depends how much you value the EC upgrade. If it is from Bronze or higher I would go with the flight if you are not likely to fly again this year.

It's only from Blue to Bronze. Given I'm extremely unlikely to do much flying in the future, I decided it wasn't worth the hassle, when pitched against a first class return on LNER for £80.

greyman42

Established Member
Last LNER journey , there was repeated announcements to sit in your allocated seat and they switched off the reservation displays to prevent people moving.

BA , used to fly them from Glasgow to London,but last few years fares have gone up , train for me me,
Despite the announcements, no one has as yet enforced sitting in your allocated seat on the trains i have used. As for turning of the reservation display, it does not stop you from getting up and moving to an emptier coach.

Journeyman

Established Member
Despite the announcements, no one has as yet enforced sitting in your allocated seat on the trains i have used. As for turning of the reservation display, it does not stop you from getting up and moving to an emptier coach.

I've booked an individual first class seat, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

route101

Established Member

Guard last month was asking people to move to their allocated seat. I would move if the displays were turned on, then it becomes russian roulette.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Guard last month was asking people to move to their allocated seat. I would move if the displays were turned on, then it becomes russian roulette.

AIUI the displays are turned off as they won't update if somebody reserves 5 minutes before at a later station in the journey. So they may show 'Available' but subsequently end up reserved.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Love that someone is asking "Train or Plane?" on a rail enthusiasts forum, and still getting sensible, if slightly understandably biased, replies ! :)

EssexGonzo

Also a reason not to take the flight - ignore the status-anxiety gravy train of BA tiers. Just not worth it unless you you really need the perceived social hierarchy boost from having a silver or gold plastic label to attach to your laptop bag.

I feel embarrassed about how I once held those things dear and ooohed and aaahed over the BA lounges. They're designed to speak to our innate desire to show our superiority over our fellow traveller. And the blatant ego massaging offered in the First and Concorde lounges reeks of insincerity and inauthenticity.

Take the journey you really WANT to take, not the one that you feel you have to for status reasons. What will you enjoy most?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes I had the same thing. We were specifically told NOT to sit in a quieter part of the train.

You can choose your seat if you book with Trainsplit or LNER, but if you book early, there is no way to know if others will be sat near you.

The other day I was given the following instructions by LNER
- to ignore my seat reservation and sit in a quiet part of the train (by a station poster)
- to sit in my allocated seat and not sit in a quieter part of the train (by a Guard)
- to ensure I was socially distanced from other passengers (by the same Guard)

It was impossible to comply with all of these instructions, as there was someone sat in the seat opposite my assigned seat, so I chose the most sensible two of these instructions and had no-one sat near me for my journey.

What you could do, is do a "dummy" booking about 10 minutes before departure (either on Trainsplit or LNER) and see where a quiet part of the train is, and sit there. You do risk the Guard instructing you to sit in a busier part of the train, though.

Note: XC have the opposite policy to LNER; I do not know about Grand Central's policy, but if GC have a similar policy to XC, you could change at York, and avoid being forced to seat near someone.

For the record, I have absolutely no problem at all with 1m social distancing on LNER where the train is reasonably busy (indeed if people were face coverings there should be no need for any social distancing whatsoever in line with WHO guidance but that's another story!) but I do have a problem with LNER instructing people not to adhere to Government guidance on quieter trains where 2m social distancing is possible.

I'd argue that where the Guard's instructions contradict Government guidelines, the Government guidelines take precedence, but the usual IANAL (I am not a lawyer) disclaimer applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.