• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh Tram developments

Techniquest

Veteran Member
What I meant was, officially its not called the Forth Rail Bridge as it was opened as the Forth Bridge and was the only bridge in that part of the Forth from 1890 to the the 1960s. :smile:

Ah fair. I suppose in this day and age with multiple bridges the describer of 'rail' or 'road' is mandatory. Keeps away potential confusion, although of course most of us here should know 'Forth Bridge' will generally mean the railway bridge.

I'm a picky bugger sometimes :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cb a1

Ah fair. I suppose in this day and age with multiple bridges the describer of 'rail' or 'road' is mandatory. Keeps away potential confusion, although of course most of us here should know 'Forth Bridge' will generally mean the railway bridge.

I'm a picky bugger sometimes :lol:
It's why I put the rail in square brackets.
Whilst I know it is the Forth Bridge, I prefer clarity over ambiguity and to take into consideration that not everyone is starting from the same level of knowledge.

Meerkat

Established Member
Looking at the proposals I would say the one from Curriehill via Heriot Watt to Edinburgh Park should get started as soon as possible.
The university must be a large traffic generator and it would connect the Shotts and Carstairs lines to all the employment at Edinburgh Park, plus via swapping teams to Gayle shopping centre, the airport, and changing to Fife trains at Gateway

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Looking at the proposals I would say the one from Curriehill via Heriot Watt to Edinburgh Park should get started as soon as possible.
… it would connect the Shotts and Carstairs lines to all the employment at Edinburgh Park, plus via swapping teams to Gayle shopping centre, the airport, and changing to Fife trains at Gateway
I'd have thought these connections would be no quicker on a tram making various intermediate stops than by changing at Haymarket, even if there was a few minutes to wait there.

Meerkat

Established Member
I'd have thought these connections would be no quicker on a tram making various intermediate stops than by changing at Haymarket, even if there was a few minutes to wait there.
Valid point, though the tram doesn't have that many stops and the trains will be making stops too

Butts

Veteran Member
The Conductors seem to have dissappeared at the moment - is this "Corona" Policy or just a coincidence on my trips in the last few days.

There was not even anyone at the Airport yesterday, perhaps they have temporarily removed the "Airport Surcharge" fare ?

scotrail158713

Established Member
The Conductors seem to have dissappeared at the moment - is this "Corona" Policy or just a coincidence on my trips in the last few days.
I’ve had a look on the website and it looks like there are still conductors onboard - the only change seems to be they aren’t touching your ticket.

Butts

Veteran Member
I’ve had a look on the website and it looks like there are still conductors onboard - the only change seems to be they aren’t touching your ticket.

Well there was no conductor on my trips last Friday and Saturday - perhaps just a coincidence - no one at the airport either where they normally check tickets when you get off.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Well there was no conductor on my trips last Friday and Saturday - perhaps just a coincidence - no one at the airport either where they normally check tickets when you get off.
The latest update I could find was from the 19th of March though so there’s a good chance that it’s changed since then

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Social distancing must be virtually impossible when doing fares/tickets on a train or tram, as by walking down the aisle you automatically go within 2m of all the seats and standing places .

och aye

Given there hardly any scheduled flights from the airport at the moment, I doubt they're losing much in terms of revenue right now to justify having conductors at the Airport.

takno

Established Member
So why not make it officially free ?
The majority of people will still pay, even if you don't enforce it, and people ought to pay if they are using the service. Can't see what benefit there is to making it free

Butts

Veteran Member
Anyone been on the Trams recently - along with Scotrail they seem to be carrying fresh air !!

Are the Conductors back yet ?

alexf380

Established Member
They definitely stopped, not sure if they've started up again yet. I noticed this week that the signs on Leith walk have been changed to state that works will begin there on the 20th of this month, just under 3 months late.

They definitely stopped, not sure if they've started up again yet. I noticed this week that the signs on Leith walk have been changed to state that works will begin there on the 20th of this month, just under 3 months late.
Is that the complete closure of Leith Walk (in one direction)? Or something else?

fgwrich

Established Member
Thanks for the update @alexf380, Hopefully the extension won't be too delayed (I think the first phase will stick in peoples minds for some time). Speaking of which, can anyone point me in the direction of the replacement for the current York Place terminus?

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Thanks for the update @alexf380, Hopefully the extension won't be too delayed (I think the first phase will stick in peoples minds for some time). Speaking of which, can anyone point me in the direction of the replacement for the current York Place terminus?

The Picardy Place tram stop will replace York Place. My understanding is that this would have happened even nothing else were approved for the tram. Most of the effort involved was in rebuilding the roundabout into the triangle gyratory, and that has happened as part of the St James works. There were some documents floating around showing a full Picardy Place tram stop and then a turnback siding on the Leith Walk/Picardy Place section that was designed to be extended in future. Since the tram works were confirmed, the intermediate plan has been ditched. The York Place to Picardy Place bit will now be amongst the very last sections of the tram line to be built.

Chrism20

Established Member

They seem to have restarted on Constitution Street about three weeks ago but there are very few boots on the ground. Every time I've walked past the same two men seem to be sitting in separate diggers with a paper and a bottle of pop so it looks like very little is actually happening although they have moved the cones about on Bernard Street.

Butts

Veteran Member
Got the Tram to The Airport today and I can't believe The Conductors are still absent.

There was one checking the tickets of the 4 people who went all the way at the exit to the Airport but that was it.

They've certainly had a long vacation

Ceat0908

Conductors are back on platforms atm and are back on tram from next week. Like train conductors, due to social distancing they were not checking tickets. Unlike train conductors, there is not an office of some sort available to be used in order to socially distance as the rear cab cannot be used, that's why you have not seen them.

Butts

Veteran Member
Conductors are back on platforms atm and are back on tram from next week. Like train conductors, due to social distancing they were not checking tickets. Unlike train conductors, there is not an office of some sort available to be used in order to socially distance as the rear cab cannot be used, that's why you have not seen them.

How do you think Stewardesses socially distance on a plane ?

They could stand behind the driver as those seats are not in use nor the door.

Wimps the lot of them !!

Ceat0908

How do you think Stewardesses socially distance on a plane ?

They could stand behind the driver as those seats are not in use nor the door.

Wimps the lot of them !!

Not the decision of the conductors. Most would’ve been happy to be back months ago. So wouldn’t call them “wimps.”

Last edited:

eoff

No conductors works for me, the last time I got a tram I was informed that my pass was not valid on the trams and it is a bit embarrassing when all you can do is tell them they are wrong.

overthewater

Established Member
The Conductors when they appear (mainly in the City centre ) are now checking tickets once again, However how are they keep themselves safe?

Also Why can't they Extend the Trams to bottom of Leith Walk in 2021 and then full open the newhaven section year after? its would improve the situation.

Ceat0908

The Conductors when they appear (mainly in the City centre ) are now checking tickets once again, However how are they keep themselves safe?

Also Why can't they Extend the Trams to bottom of Leith Walk in 2021 and then full open the newhaven section year after? its would improve the situation.

The conductors are doing the full
Route with extras based in the city. Both ends of the tram are off limits to customers and ticket checking is contactless.