• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edmondson tickets at preserved railways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roast Veg

Established Member
The East Lancashire Railway had them when buying tickets from the booking office in Bury. This was pre-covid though, so may have changed in the intervening period.
I didn't get one there recently, though it was an event day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Though as mentioned upthread wrt to the SVR, that may be due to it being a gala rather than a normal day.
No, all normal KWVR ticketing (except Damems, see #21) is CCST (credit card size) - or paper roll if issued on board.

colchesterken

Anyone know where the original machine went, I think I read somewhere that they were being printed and sold to preserved railways

Titfield

Established Member
Anyone know where the original machine went, I think I read somewhere that they were being printed and sold to preserved railways

Swanage Railway has an Edmondson ticket printer (though I do not know its origin). They print Edmondson tickets for a number of heritage railways.

P Binnersley

The Severn Valley Railway had one upstairs in the carriage works at Kidderminster. This was several years ago and I don't know if it is still there.

Edmonston tickets are still issued at the Doon Valley Railway in Ayrshire.

Railcar

Last Saturday, 25th june, (Model Railway Weekend)the Bluebell were issuing Edmondson tickets in a shade of purple, rather than the normal green (both types shown)

Attachments

• tickets.JPG
    tickets.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 27
They did them at the East Anglia Transport museum near Lowestoft in Suffolk last time I went and I think they might still do them at the Mid Norfolk Railway.

My son & I got them at Aviemore for turn up & go singles to Broomhill on Strathspey Railway. Hand date stamped on reverse 28 May 2022 & recycled with previous 2018 date!
Travelled entirely by train from home at Dunston to old holiday farmhouse near Broomhill.

railfan99

Established Member
Some excellent recent replies.

The Bluebell Railway's ones are similar to some in Australia. In Victoria (my state) the ticket numbers were usually somewhat smaller than shown on the Bluebell Railway example. This isn't apparent from this video but this gent doesn't show many 'real' ones, as opposed to special train tour tickets:

I can't fit Bluebell Railway in as on my first day I aim to visit East Lancs Railway from London, and then end up at night in the Midlands (using a Eurailpass: cheaper than purchasing a separate BritRail and Eurail). I also hope to visit Strathspey, Llangollen, Keighley and Worth Valley, North Norfolk Railway, Great Central Railway and my favourite, West Somerset Railway (as it's the longest).

D2007wsm

Established Member
I went on the Dean Forest Railway today on a return trip and was given a wrist band.

Each round trip from Norchard is given a wrist band of a different colour. If buying a ticket from the guard, you were given a handwritten piece of carbon copy paper.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Just over the border, the Fintown and Difflin Lake railways in Co Donegal both issue Edmondson style tickets.

midland1

I went to the North Norfolk in April this year and my ticket was a receipt type but that was for the steam gala day rover. So it may be what type ticket you buy.

Sm5

I do like Edmundson tickets, imo its the difference between a heritage attraction or a tourist attraction.

it makes an impression, before you even enter the platform.

dlj83

At the Epping Ongar railway they issue them, you can also buy platform tickets too.

paul1609

Established Member
One of the difficulties with Edmundson tickets can be if the railway is claiming gift aid on the ticket. HMRC will only generally allow claims if the accounting is done on an accredited computer system. They are also very strict on the wording on the ticket. We did some research with a German company that makes a windows compatible printer that can print authentic looking Edmunson tickets but it wasn't possible to fit the declarations on the back of the ticket. In the end we used the compromise of using a computer printed CCST and giving away the Edmundson Ticket as a souvenir. However even this has its problems as it confuses "normals" passengers and causes a longer dwell time at the ticket window. Not ideal when the trains about to depart and you have a queue out the door. We tend to allow the ticket clerk to use his discretion as to whether they are issued.
I noted during a visit to one of the narrow gauge railways who uses ccst that they also sold Edmundson tickets in their shops as souvenirs at £3 each!

railfan99

Established Member
One of the difficulties with Edmundson tickets can be if the railway is claiming gift aid on the ticket. HMRC will only generally allow claims if the accounting is done on an accredited computer system. They are also very strict on the wording on the ticket. We did some research with a German company that makes a windows compatible printer that can print authentic looking Edmunson tickets but it wasn't possible to fit the declarations on the back of the ticket. In the end we used the compromise of using a computer printed CCST and giving away the Edmundson Ticket as a souvenir. However even this has its problems as it confuses "normals" passengers and causes a longer dwell time at the ticket window. Not ideal when the trains about to depart and you have a queue out the door. We tend to allow the ticket clerk to use his discretion as to whether they are issued.

Your UK taxation commissioner or applicable public servant could be approached to request an exemption, on condition that the Board and Auditor sign off on the Gift Aid claim.

By the way, they're 'Edmondson' tickets, so different spelling.

paul1609

Established Member
Your UK taxation commissioner or applicable public servant could be approached to request an exemption, on condition that the Board and Auditor sign off on the Gift Aid claim.

By the way, they're 'Edmondson' tickets, so different spelling.
The check of 40000 manually completed gift aid claims was the reason we implemented the automated system in the first place, 99% of our customers don't mind what sort of ticket they get. It was a no brainer I'm afraid.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I travelled on the Gwili Railway on Tuesday, and very good it was.

However, I was given an Edmondson type ticket when I showed my online booking. I don't collect tickets, so if anyone wants it, please send me your details and I'll put it in the post for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.