• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electrification threads and resources index

Sonik

The whole point of the presentation is that the Grid Feeders are the really long lead time items so they are planning those now and energizing around those. I would think that energized wires would also reduce theft.
Not sure if it's intentional but it's also a land grab, in terms of any spare grid capacity, as currently exists in many areas of the UK due to de-industrialization.

New connections must pay for needed reinforcement, or to put that another way, existing spare grid capacity is a latent resource; free to whoever claims it first.

Scotland has substantial wind resources; road transport and heating also need to be decarbonised at some point.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
Still, the thing that puzzles me is the lack of an electrification scheme to finish off the Great Western Mainline Electrification to Bath, Bristol, and points where it is possible.
The schemes to complete to Oxford and Bristol are (I think) still officially only paused. It would be nice to think that the pause mostly reflects the fact that there are major schemes happening which are sensible to do before wiring ( the current refurbishment of Bristol TM must be a lot easier without 25kV wires in the way and the Oxford station area is due a massive remodelling) but that assumes a lot of joined-up thinking at the DfT - something I’ve yet to be convinced of!

59CosG95

Established Member
The schemes to complete to Oxford and Bristol are (I think) still officially only paused. It would be nice to think that the pause mostly reflects the fact that there are major schemes happening which are sensible to do before wiring ( the current refurbishment of Bristol TM must be a lot easier without 25kV wires in the way and the Oxford station area is due a massive remodelling) but that assumes a lot of joined-up thinking at the DfT - something I’ve yet to be convinced of!
Most of the piles from Didcot to Oxford are in as far as Kennington Jn - the stretch north from there, however, has nothing. Of course, a re-survey and potential redesign would be required now.

Mikey C

Established Member
Most of the piles from Didcot to Oxford are in as far as Kennington Jn - the stretch north from there, however, has nothing. Of course, a re-survey and potential redesign would be required now.
At this rate Leicester will be electrified before Oxford and Bristol...

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Not sure if it's intentional but it's also a land grab, in terms of any spare grid capacity, as currently exists in many areas of the UK due to de-industrialization.

New connections must pay for needed reinforcement, or to put that another way, existing spare grid capacity is a latent resource; free to whoever claims it first.

Scotland has substantial wind resources; road transport and heating also need to be decarbonised at some point.
Some decent load in Scotland would be very welcome to the transmission operators SHE and SP as they are saturated with wind turbine resources which they can't fully exploit due to transmission constraints from Scotland into England. This is also affecting getting outages on the transmission system if the NR feeder station is teed off a 275/400Kv pylon line rather than connected directly to a bulk supply point substation.

Sonik

Some decent load in Scotland would be very welcome to the transmission operators SHE and SP as they are saturated with wind turbine resources which they can't fully exploit due to transmission constraints from Scotland into England. This is also affecting getting outages on the transmission system if the NR feeder station is teed off a 275/400Kv pylon line rather than connected directly to a bulk supply point substation.
Good point, so basically Scotland has a ton of 'free' electricity that they can't get rid of?

Being in the south east I tend to think in terms of grid issues being load related!

It would be interesting to know how the system flows behave when the wind stops blowing, as it does occasionally.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Headline page 1 and post 1 of this thread updated.

July -December 2022 Electrification threads

Electrification workstreams

Borders Line (Scotland) electrification news and updates

SPECULATIVE IDEAS SECTION
Battery, vs bimode vs electrification

Causes of electrification taking ever longer abd what are the solutions

Last edited:

Legolash2o

I'm updating my maps to show markers on each electrification project with basic information and links (screenshot below). Does anyone know the estimated completion dates for the current schemes please?

• York to Church Fenton (Autumn 2022)
  • Manchester to Stalybridge (??)
  • Wigan to Bolton (2025?)
  • Kettering to Wigston South Jn (??)
  • Pontypridd to Aberdare (December 2023?). Also includes Radyr to Pontypridd?
  • Glasgow to Barrhead (December 2023)
  • Haymarket to Dalmeny (??)
  • Levenmouth Branch (2024)
Pretty sure that's everywhere with boots on the ground. Thanks in advance!

1660070332590.png

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I'm updating my maps to show markers on each electrification project with basic information and links (screenshot below). Does anyone know the estimated completion dates for the current schemes please?

• York to Church Fenton (Autumn 2022)
will it really be livened up by then?

snowball

Established Member
According to Modern Railways for this month, summarised by me in post #5646 of the TRU thread,
Wiring on Colton to Church Fenton is due to end in October. Two Christmas closures will be neeed to connect it to the existing ECML wiring. I first thought this meant two closures around Christmas 2022, but it means two successive Christmases, so it will not go live until March 2024!! "with the full scheme including a linespeed increase due for completion by December 2024"!!
So it all depends what you mean by completion.

Legolash2o

Damn, how strange that it's two Christmas's! I suppose complete is when trains can use it, so March 2024 for that section is it then :(

snowball

Established Member

• Manchester to Stalybridge (??)
  • Wigan to Bolton (2025?)
  • Kettering to Wigston South Jn (??)
  • Pontypridd to Aberdare (December 2023?). Also includes Radyr to Pontypridd?
  • Glasgow to Barrhead (December 2023)
  • Haymarket to Dalmeny (??)
  • Levenmouth Branch (2024)
Pretty sure that's everywhere with boots on the ground. Thanks in advance!
Kettering to Wigston S Junc, Jan 2024 (see #5521 here)
Levenmouth spring 2024 (may not be live at first; diesel operated until battery train deliveries start 2027)
Manchester to Stalybridge and Haymarket to Dalmeny, both Dec 2024
Wigan-Bolton seems to be described as 2024-5

Last edited:

Levenmouth spring 2024 (may not be live at first; diesel operated until battery train deliveries start 2027)
I'm sure that it will be live when completed even if not used regularly to power trains as otherwise parts tend to disappear overnight..

snowball

Established Member
I'm sure that it will be live when completed even if not used regularly to power trains as otherwise parts tend to disappear overnight..
(This was in reference to the Levenmouth branch.) Let's hope the feeder station is in place in time.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
Piling for OLE is about to start on the Levenmouth branch (see the scheme-specific thread).

59CosG95

Established Member
The RIA have published a list of Top 10 Routes for electrification in the North of England, alongside a wider map of Decarbonisation Priorities (below0.
1666251225193.png

Their Top 10 Routes (for the North) are:
  • Sheffield - Swinton - Doncaster/Moorthorpe
  • Manchester Victoria - Leeds via Bradford Interchange (Calder Valley)
  • Northallerton - Eaglescliffe - Middlesbrough - Saltburn
  • Manchester - Sheffield (Hope Valley)
  • Leeds - Hull
  • Carlisle - Newcastle (Tyne Valley)
  • Doncaster - Scunthorpe - Barnetby - Immingham
  • Wakefield Kirkgate - Drax/Leeds
  • Sheffield - Worksop - Retford LL - Lincoln - Sleaford - Werrington Jn
  • Leeds - Harrogate - York

Note that some routes may overlap with other regions (e.g. East Midlands).
Article here: https://riagb.org.uk/RIA/Newsroom/P...or a green railway in the North unveiled.aspx

snowball

Established Member
"Committed electrification" on that map seems to omit Guide Bridge to Stalybridge.

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
Yes but my point was that it should have been shown as committed, given that it appears to be going ahead as part of the current scheme.

Though they can be forgiven for overlooking it in view of the absence of clear public statements by Network Rail and the government.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I'm surprised that the Settle Carlisle line has been nominated as top priority for electrification considering it's a least used railway line.

snowball

Established Member
And Ashburys branch, both are in TPRU IIRC, bridges done already.
Was in several years ago when Stalybridge was phase 5 of the NW electrification programme, but I haven't heard anything in recent years to suggest that it's still in?