• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Elizabeth line full service timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quite so. I read that all ex Shenfields will terminate at Paddington, which, if is the case, is appalling.

How is it appalling? Once again you’ll have the easiest change ever - get off the train in the core, wait a few minutes in the same platform, get back on another train.

There is likely to be some through running east & west but I don’t think it will be a huge frequency.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SynthD

Canary Wharf paid for direct trains to Heathrow and that was announced early on in the project. At the time I remember nearly everyone understanding that all or nearly all GWML services will go to Abbey Wood.

Benjwri

Established Member
I appreciate both your point and your desire to critique every post I make, but when Crossrail was heavily promoted as something that would boost connectivity between East and West, you’d surely expect them to run direct services from East to West at least.
I could understand your point for Heathrow, but not Reading. It boosts East West connectivity by linking two major East West stations, and stations along their lines.

A Reading-Shenfield train is a hugely edge case, which would only really be done by rail enthusiasts. The fastest route from Shenfield to Reading will always be swapping trains to/from fast services at Liverpool Street/Reading.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I know in the past they looked at alternative destinations West of Paddington. Chiltern lines being one (but then it isn't electrified) and replacing some of the services out of Euston another. But as others have said if they never go further west, just link Thameslink today, picking your station to change at is fine. Shenfield - Reading with a change at Bond Street is much better then a trip on the circle line.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Let's say hypothetically half of the trains from Reading /Heathrow went to Shenfield instead of Abbey wood.

You are at Heathrow Airport station and an abbey wood train comes along. Even with luggage would you wait 10 minutes for a train to Shenfield . Or would you take the first train and wait 2.5 minutes for a empty train at paddington that departs from the same platforn.

The case for other stations is often worse. With stations like Reading getting an off peak frequency of 30 minutes.

The only place where the frequency could justify mixed shenfield/abbey wood services. Would be at places like Hayes and Ealing Broadway. Where the high frequency of crossrail trains from these stations may justify the wait over the inconvenience of changing

setdown

All changes are not equal! The current change from Paddington 11/12/14 to the new Elizabeth Line platforms is appalling at peak times. If that was the case for the long-term, I understand the anger. However I can't think of any nicer change than a same-platform interchange in the new Elizabeth line platform. So much space!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Quite so. I read that all ex Shenfields will terminate at Paddington, which, if is the case, is appalling.
That's definitely been the long standing expectation, yes.

Obviously what actually turns out to be the case in the next and subsequent phase I think we will know for sure only when it starts running.

Status
Not open for further replies.