• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

LowLevel

Established Member
So it was noted in the other thread - I don’t understand why they’d move to storage now of all times. You would’ve thought it would be at the start of the January lockdown...

I don't know if it's connected but there has been a lot of incidents of late of units stabled in certain locations being vandalised by graffiti scum. It may be reduce the need to use these locations.

Not sure if they are also having any work undertaken while they are at Barrow Hill.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheBigD

Established Member
From the above can I deduce that EMR will have for the May timetable?

5 x 3 car 170
7 x 2 car 170
26 x 2 car 158
24 x 2 car 156 (how many/when do some leave for Northern?)
Possible some 153's unless they are all off lease by then?

Updates/correctionns welcome!

Mariner16

5 x 3 car 170
7 x 2 car 170
26 x 2 car 158

I think it will be 6 x 2 car 170s by mid May with the 7th to move over around late May or early June

Chorley Cake

170503 came up to Crewe today from Tyseley. Not sure what for but it’s rare to see a LM 170 at Crewe.

RH Liner

Are 170s still operating on the Robin Hood Line? Not been out much during lockdown but on the odd times I’ve been into Mansfield I’ve still only seen 156s. I would have thought 158s would be better once the half-hourly service is reinstated so three car trains are not quite so necessary, given what I understand is their snappier acceleration and the short hops between stations.

LowLevel

Established Member
170s are still out regularly. 170s keep time nicely, the door cycles in particular are far faster than a 158.

RH Liner

170s are still out regularly. 170s keep time nicely, the door cycles in particular are far faster than a 158.
Thanks. I see a couple of minutes are shaved off the typical Mansfield-Nottingham time from May, so perhaps the faster door cycles could be what has enabled that.

_toommm_

Established Member
Are EMR able to dispatch from the cabs in the same way Scotrail do, or are they limited to doing it from the saloons only a-la Northern?

g22

Apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere but how many 170s will EMR have or are planning to have when the May timetable starts?

soccermad

Seen 170's on the Robin Hood Line most days last week as I walk our dogs

These being up towards the Worksop end of the line in the late afternoons

Established Member
Thanks. I see a couple of minutes are shaved off the typical Mansfield-Nottingham time from May, so perhaps the faster door cycles could be what has enabled that.
The Worksop's (and Crewe and Leicester) services are timed from May as 100mph unit rather than a 75mph unit (not that all of them will be a 170). Also the 30 min service will return as far as Mansfield which means some stops will be removed where only a hourly service calls which will be where most of the time saved comes from.
Are EMR able to dispatch from the cabs in the same way Scotrail do, or are they limited to doing it from the saloons only a-la Northern?
I believe the conductor was in the cab when I watched on roll into my local station a few weeks ago.
Apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere but how many 170s will EMR have or are planning to have when the May timetable starts?
see below:

5 x 3 car 170
7 x 2 car 170
26 x 2 car 158

RealTrains07

Established Member
According to an EMR company magazine. Only 4 WMR 170s will be transferring over in time for the May timetable.

RH Liner

The Worksop's (and Crewe and Leicester) services are timed from May as 100mph unit rather than a 75mph unit (not that all of them will be a 170). Also the 30 min service will return as far as Mansfield which means some stops will be removed where only a hourly service calls which will be where most of the time saved comes from.

I believe the conductor was in the cab when I watched on roll into my local station a few weeks ago.

see below:
The Worksops May be timed as a 100mph unit but they won’t be getting anywhere near that given the line speed. The slight improvement on timings is over the pre-covid service, with many Mansfield-Nottingham services to be timed at an even 30 minutes. The best pre-covid service time was 32.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Two car 170534 is on today's Saturday the 03rd April 2021 1233 tyseley L.M.D Depot to crewe l.n.w r Depot move to crewe for repainting prior to transfer to emr side off business ready for may timetable change.
Leaves x2 still to move though for the may timetable plan.
Running around 3 minutes late.

Established Member
Do EMR now have enough 170s to release some of its 156s up here to Northen land. K
Not sure. A post upthread suggests that up to 7 2 cars are due to arrive for the may timetable which at the moment there are 2 painted and 1 unpainted 2 cars with EMR and a 4th being painted. Also the May timetable have some increases in Lincolnshire, the extension of the Derby - Crewe service to Newark and most likely strengthening the Skegness services (with the summer Saturday extras) so while there maybe some slack in the fleet now they may still be required from May.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Also 170534 on today's move going through Birmingham new Street at platform 5. Was Also rebranded ie the west Midlands trains logos are no longer on the side. Whilst again on the 1233 tyseley L.M.D to crewe lnwr Depot move for repainting.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Not sure. A post upthread suggests that up to 7 2 cars are due to arrive for the may timetable which at the moment there are 2 painted and 1 unpainted 2 cars with EMR and a 4th being painted. Also the May timetable have some increases in Lincolnshire, the extension of the Derby - Crewe service to Newark and most likely strengthening the Skegness services (with the summer Saturday extras) so while there maybe some slack in the fleet now they may still be required from May.
At this moment in time. EMR wont be getting 7 in time for may thats for sure. Looks like it will just be 4 170s from WMR ready for use in the may timetable

LowLevel

Established Member
At this moment in time. EMR wont be getting 7 in time for may thats for sure. Looks like it will just be 4 170s from WMR ready for use in the may timetable

The last plan I heard was all but one before and one shortly after.

43102EMR

Established Member
Thats not what the EMR staff document said. I guess they have been lucky however it dosent mean all 5 will be service in time though.
I wonder if 530 will enter service as is or go for a repaint sometime soon?

newtownmgr

Only going on what we’ve been told. Suspect 530 might go for refresh before the timetable change. We are struggling for units & the 170’s are not behaving at present. I had a few issues with 535 yesterday. To be honest with the many ongoing issues with the 196’s, including the yaw dampers now being a potential issue we may even struggle to get them in service by December, which will impact on the 170’s moving.

43102EMR

Established Member
Only going on what we’ve been told. Suspect 530 might go for refresh before the timetable change. We are struggling for units & the 170’s are not behaving at present. I had a few issues with 535 yesterday. To be honest with the many ongoing issues with the 196’s, including the yaw dampers now being a potential issue we may even struggle to get them in service by December, which will impact on the 170’s moving.
Yeah before they left WMR they were in a very poor state. You could tell from the engine noises made when they accelerated that they were in desperate need of TLC, but then again they were to leave the franchise soon so I can imagine maintenance of them gradually declined over the past few years...

Energy

Established Member
Yeah before they left WMR they were in a very poor state. You could tell from the engine noises made when they accelerated that they were in desperate need of TLC, but then again they were to leave the franchise soon so I can imagine maintenance of them gradually declined over the past few years...
GA's old stock is going downhill so I wouldn't be suprised if Abellio are doing a similar thing with WMT.