• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

43102EMR

Established Member
170503 and 170501 on the 09-00 Birmingham to Shrewsbury viewed through Coseley this morning
From what I’ve read on Twitter, they're diagramed to do the 06:33 onwards from New Street to Shrewsbury all week.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43102EMR

Established Member
The EMR 170 repaints seem to be happening relatively fast, so it wouldn’t surprise me if most (if not all) the fleet is repainted by the time the 196s start to enter service.

greatvoyager

Established Member
The EMR 170 repaints seem to be happening relatively fast, so it wouldn’t surprise me if most (if not all) the fleet is repainted by the time the 196s start to enter service.
Just out of interest is this livery applied with vinyls?

fgwrich

Established Member
No - it is a proper paint job which the units are due anyway, I seem to recall they were last painted by EWS at Bescot in 2008 or so?

I don't recall anything being painted at Bescot, It could well have either been Toton or Marcroft - this article from Cross Country says their units were painted at either location:

The warm black front ends, red doors and bold logo branding will make the trains easily recognisable to customers at stations on the routes between Cardiff and Nottingham and Birmingham New Street and Stansted Airport. Exterior repainting, due as part of scheduled overhaul, is being carried out at the EWS Toton Depot, near Nottingham and Marcroft Depot, Stoke-on-Trent, and will be completed by December this year.

Interior refurbishment to provide bright and fresh accommodation with more seats and luggage space will begin in April at Transys Projects Ltd's depot in Clacton-on-Sea, Essex. Seats will be retrimmed, new carpets fitted and at-seat power points installed in the two-plus-one seating of the First Class accommodation on every train.

To avoid train shortages while they are being refurbished the work is being phased to coincide with scheduled maintenance, so some coaches will be in service temporarily with reworked exteriors or interiors only until the programme is completed.

CrossCountry Managing Director Andy Cooper said: "Our Class 170 trains, which serve some of our busiest routes through Birmingham, are being refurbished to a standard of the highest quality. They will make a significant contribution to our commitment to provide up to 35 percent more seating and additional luggage space across our network."
Interior wise, I've got a feeling the LM units were done in house, as there wasn't really much of a change from Central Trains interior to the LM one (carpets, seat covers and stickers).

LowLevel

Established Member
I'm not sure where I have Bescot from but it was in my head that they were done locally - I've checked the relivery thread of the time and while most other fleets being done have a location mentioned (the LM 153s being Eastleigh!) for some reason it was never mentioned in the updates.

Happy to be corrected though.

43102EMR

Established Member
I don't recall anything being painted at Bescot, It could well have either been Toton or Marcroft - this article from Cross Country says their units were painted at either location:

Interior wise, I've got a feeling the LM units were done in house, as there wasn't really much of a change from Central Trains interior to the LM one (carpets, seat covers and stickers).
I remember reading somewhere that the LM 170s were painted at Bescot but can’t remember the exact source - makes sense as the 170s were the first in LM livery for the franchise launch back in 2007.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I remember reading somewhere that the LM 170s were painted at Bescot but can’t remember the exact source - makes sense as the 170s were the first in LM livery for the franchise launch back in 2007.
My memory of XC 170s being worked on at anywhere other than Tyseley was at Crewe works, Brush Loughborough, Crewe LNWR and more recently Bristol Barton Hill.
Regarding Bescot, I very much doubt you would get a three car 170 into the Bescot TMD confines, and it wasn't set up for painting anyway - more for performing exams and repairs on diesel locos. In fact, I am not sure when Bescot ceased it's maintenance and repair of class 31s, but I would really not be happy painting a class 170 with a class 31 anywhere near.

LowLevel

Established Member
My memory of XC 170s being worked on at anywhere other than Tyseley was at Crewe works, Brush Loughborough, Crewe LNWR and more recently Bristol Barton Hill.
Regarding Bescot, I very much doubt you would get a three car 170 into the Bescot TMD confines, and it wasn't set up for painting anyway - more for performing exams and repairs on diesel locos. In fact, I am not sure when Bescot ceased it's maintenance and repair of class 31s, but I would really not be happy painting a class 170 with a class 31 anywhere near.

I think Bescot saw off it's last 31s well before 2008.

I've slept on it and I still can't get Bescot out of my head for it for some reason. I'll make some enquiries - I was providing much of the "sighting" gen at the time through catching the units each day for work but it was 13 years ago :lol:

sd0733

Established Member
I'm not sure where I have Bescot from but it was in my head that they were done locally - I've checked the relivery thread of the time and while most other fleets being done have a location mentioned (the LM 153s being Eastleigh!) for some reason it was never mentioned in the updates.

Happy to be corrected though.
Im fairly sure the LM ones were painted at Oxley. I remember passing a couple round Wolverhampton heading back to Tyseley for fitting of vinyls and numbers.

LowLevel

Established Member
Im fairly sure the LM ones were painted at Oxley. I remember passing a couple round Wolverhampton heading back to Tyseley for fitting of vinyls and numbers.

Funnily I woke up this morning thinking "maybe it was Oxley"... I'm sure it was a local depot.

Sprinter107

I think it was possibly Oxley, as they had Oxley "stickers", on the inner ends of the carriages. I think a handful still have them.

Spirit555

170503 with 170535 on 1100 Birmingham NS to Shrewsbury today.

This may have already been covered, but are any of the repainted ones refurbished inside, as 170503 retains it's original interior. Not been touched.

Mark

greatvoyager

Established Member

This may have already been covered, but are any of the repainted ones refurbished inside, as 170503 retains it's original interior. Not been touched.

Mark
As far as I’m aware no refurbishment has taken place.

43102EMR

Established Member

Mark
Interiors remain untouched - I can imagine once all of the WMR units move over then a full refurbishment will begin.

43102EMR

Established Member
534’s on it’s way back to Tyseley - strangely enough it’s left Crewe without any decals. Probably to avoid confusion with EMR services.
UPDATE: see attached photoD425E491-09B0-409C-BDBF-39FD2889D24B.jpeg

Oxley would certainly make more sense - They have painted vehicles and locos there before and do have the skills to do it.
Seems as though you were right - found this next to the TOPS plate on 50555DB1617-60F2-45E9-8BF6-4349BE7D55C7.jpeg

Last edited: