• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

STINT47

It does seem wrong that the West Midlands and Greater Anhlia get new stock whilst we get the trains that I used to ride arround on over 15 years ago back. 170s are an improvement and especially if a decent refurbishment is done but it's still pretty disappointing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Energy

Established Member
It does seem wrong that the West Midlands and Greater Anglia get new stock whilst we get the trains that I used to ride arround on over 15 years ago back. 170s are an improvement and especially if a decent refurbishment is done but it's still pretty disappointing.
The 360s are available, reliable and nice to be in once they have been changed to 2+2, I would count yourself lucky you are getting them.

The 170s aren't the most suitable but are the nicest DMUs used right now, I doubt ROSCOs are too interested in funding new DMUs when the government wants fully diesel trains gone. Remember that GA had very few used DMUs on the market then while EMR has some 170s available.

At least you are getting 810s which shouldn't have the troubled introduction other fleets (Aventras) are having.

OTRail

The 360s are available, reliable and nice to be in once they have been changed to 2+2, I would count yourself lucky you are getting them.

The 170s aren't the most suitable but are the nicest DMUs used right now, I doubt ROSCOs are too interested in funding new DMUs when the government wants fully diesel trains gone. Remember that GA had very few used DMUs on the market then while EMR has some 170s available.

At least you are getting 810s which shouldn't have the troubled introduction other fleets (Aventras) are having.
CAF DMUs are more or less the only option for new regional diesel stock for EMR, and based on Northern’s experiences with them they’ll be plagued with technical difficulties...

EMUs it’s best to use cast offs as there is a surplus of EMUs that will either go off lease or be scrapped.

Energy

Established Member
CAF DMUs are more or less the only option for new regional diesel stock for EMR, and based on Northern’s experiences with them they’ll be plagued with technical difficulties...
Yeah, Stadlers do not have a long enough range so CAF is the only choice. I doubt ROSCO will be willing to fund many more CAFs as the government wants pure diesels gone.

The 170s are still good trains.
EMUs it’s best to use cast offs as there is a surplus of EMUs that will either go off lease or be scrapped.
The main incentive for EMR is quick delivery time and no teething issues. EMR probably won't care of the excess EMUs get scrapped if they were getting new EMUs. EMR needed these quickly to cascade trains to replace the HSTs.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
I’m not surprised - from what I’ve been hearing the ex-Scotrail Eversholt units aren’t necessarily the most reliable...
The Northern ex-ScotRail 170s have more than their fair share of issues occurring to them as well, at least from my relatively casual observation - so it's not surprising that EMR's 170s have already started running into problems.

OTRail

The Northern ex-ScotRail 170s have more than their fair share of issues occurring to them as well, at least from my relatively casual observation - so it's not surprising that EMR's 170s have already started running into problems.
Let’s not forget the 171/2s and /4s that will be joining EMR in the next few years...

OTRail

I have been wondering what the EMR interior will be designed as, does anyone know?

raetiamann

The East Midlands has the lowest infrastructure spending across the nine English regions and looking at rolling stock, until the arrival of the 810s, probably the same situation applies.

Established Member
I have been wondering what the EMR interior will be designed as, does anyone know?
Anything will be better than the current interior looking at that video. Standard looks in a better nick than the first class section and the ex EMT 15x fleet still looks better. It will probably be purple seats and and a white/gray paneling.

_toommm_

Established Member
In the financial year 2018/19, the average age of their rolling stock is 26.17 years, which isn't actually that bad compared to some of the rest.

Since then, they've inherited (IIRC) the 170s (around 20 years old), more HSTs, both /4 (ex. GC) and ex. LNER (average 40 years old), but lost some 153s too. That number is due to be updated on Thursday so we should hopefully find out then what the average age is.

Source:

OTRail

Anything will be better than the current interior looking at that video. Standard looks in a better nick than the first class section and the ex EMT 15x fleet still looks better. It will probably be purple seats and and a white/gray paneling.
Yeah I agree - that interior dates back to the early 2000s so no surprise it’s knackered. The first class seats will no doubt be replaced with 2 + 2 standard seating in due course so they most probably don’t care about their condition at the moment.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Would be handy to know if the 170 makes it out weds, no doubt depends on the issue today I guess.

High Dyke

Established Member
As long they don't have problems like they did last time they had this type of unit.

Attachments

• 20200430_192353.jpg
    20200430_192353.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 265

LowLevel

Established Member
The driver training not running is a separate issue for this week only as opposed to anything to do with the units. I assume they're trying to fix the faults on 417 properly before putting it back again out again.

Mollman

Established Member
It does seem wrong that the West Midlands and Greater Anhlia get new stock whilst we get the trains that I used to ride arround on over 15 years ago back. 170s are an improvement and especially if a decent refurbishment is done but it's still pretty disappointing.
Anglia will be interesting, they probably got the new trains with the view that London commuters would cross-subsidies them but we shall wait to see how that works out. EM would have the trade off between new kit and expensive fares or mid-life kit and not so expensive fares.

West Midlands shows the problem with the fragmented rail system is there is a lack of overall plan - Snow Hill lines, Bromsgrove - Hereford and Wolves - Shrews should have been electrified which would release fairly new 172s for East Midlands routes beyond an electrified MML.

cnjb8

Established Member
Will EMR be coupling the 170s to the 156s while they can? I'm guessing no but then social distancing

OTRail

Will EMR be coupling the 170s to the 156s while they can? I'm guessing no but then social distancing
Unless it’s Liverpool to Norwich I’m guessing as EMR’s regional routes other than that don’t run more than 3/4 carriages. So it’ll be highly unlikely unless it’s for depot movements.

Established Member
Very much doubt it as except going up to Liverpool or Worksop the rest of the regional network is mostly 2 car services. There is a service from Derby to Nottingham early in the morning which I think is normally 3 units together which then splits in Nottingham.
Probably not given platforms on most Regional lines aren't long enough for 5 car trains I believe.
Derby to Crewe I don't think you can run more than a 4 car and it's probably the same with the Matlock Branch.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Derby to Crewe I don't think you can run more than a 4 car and it's probably the same with the Matlock Branch.
I remember doing a 4 car service between Nottingham and Lincoln about a month ago and at all the intermediate stations it called at it was local door only (and if memory serves the rear unit was locked out when I went to board it at Nottingham).

bunnahabhain

Established Member
170s currently will not be operated in multiple whilst a manning agreement is written up and formalised.