• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
By use of the word must, I believe this is an instruction to the franchisee of the Thameslink. Southern and Great Northern franchise - ie, they MUST be free to incorporate into the [East Midlands Railway] franchise when its lease for them starts in September 2021; if the transfer was subject to replacements being available, or if the 171s were to be sub-leased back to Southern, the EMA could easily have stated that

No, it means that in order for EMR to use them, the units must be available, ie GTR released them.

It is not an instruction to GTR to do that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fincra5

Established Member
No, it means that in order for EMR to use them, the units must be available, ie GTR released them.

It is not an instruction to GTR to do that.
Exactly, it's not an instruction...

It all depends on the SN Units being "Free" and currently that looks unlikely for Sept 21 (when the original franchise was to end). SN cannot and will not be left without stock for the Uckfield/ Marshlink Branches.

The likelihood is, if they're leased to EMR, then they'll be subleased back to GTR until replacement stock is in service.

LowLevel

Established Member
Have any further 170/4 units entered service?

Various ones appear on training runs but only 417 has worked passenger trains. Fingers crossed one will be out this week coming, I understand that is the intention. Whether it's 417 I'm not sure, they've all been carrying around some level of faults for a while that doesn't impact on empty training runs and COVID hasn't made it any easier to get the fitters up to speed.

OTRail

Exactly, it's not an instruction...

It all depends on the SN Units being "Free" and currently that looks unlikely for Sept 21 (when the original franchise was to end). SN cannot and will not be left without stock for the Uckfield/ Marshlink Branches.

The likelihood is, if they're leased to EMR, then they'll be subleased back to GTR until replacement stock is in service.
Has a replacement been confirmed yet?

OTRail

So that’s it for the ex-Scotrail 170s then - all that remains are the WMR and Southern units (when they become available).

Established Member
So that’s it for the ex-Scotrail 170s then - all that remains are the WMR and Southern units (when they become available).
Hopefully they enter service soon. 417 has only had one day in traffic as far as I can tell and the press release on the EMR website suggested that three would be in service around now.

OTRail

Hopefully they enter service soon. 417 has only had one day in traffic as far as I can tell and the press release on the EMR website suggested that three would be in service around now.
They should be entering service whenever the next TT change is - so fairly soon. I can imagine their introduction will release the remaining 153s to go off lease. Hopefully the refurbishment will start soon as well, does anyone know who’s doing it?

Mariner16

3 170s due in passenger services from Monday 14th. Going to Worksop, Skegness and on occasions, Matlock.

LowLevel

Established Member
They won't be free of issues but hopefully they'll be a lot better by then - the guys at the depots are starting to get their teeth into them properly.

They have booked work to Crewe from December as I understand it (on a Saturday?), I know there is diagrammed work at least to Grantham on a Sunday and possibly Skeg on the long term plan but I don't think one has visited Skeg for PTI checks yet - they've only been to Worksop, Leicester, Chesterfield, Newark, Matlock and Crewe thus far.

STINT47

Turbostars have alreadt worked to Skegness before. I remember travelling back to Notting on one after a holiday in summer 2002

LowLevel

Established Member
Turbostars have alreadt worked to Skegness before. I remember travelling back to Notting on one after a holiday in summer 2002

They've worked to pretty much everywhere they will be working to regularly bar possibly Lincoln to Doncaster where I believe they were restricted due to issues with the platform at Gainsborough Lea Road though I think one or two might have escaped.

However the last time on most routes was 2007 unless they run alongside Cross Country and a lot can happen in the mean time. It is important to check that things are still OK, especially with changing policies on safe passenger access being relevant.

Also stations like Bingham with Harrington humps that have been installed in the mean time will need to be assessed.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
They've worked to pretty much everywhere they will be working to regularly bar possibly Lincoln to Doncaster where I believe they were restricted due to issues with the platform at Gainsborough Lea Road though I think one or two might have escaped.

However the last time on most routes was 2007 unless they run alongside Cross Country and a lot can happen in the mean time. It is important to check that things are still OK, especially with changing policies on safe passenger access being relevant.

Also stations like Bingham with Harrington humps that have been installed in the mean time will need to be assessed.
It may actually have been 2008 because there was a transition period of around 12 months after the Central Trains > London Midland > Neu XC franchise changeover. The newly transitioned XC Leicester traincrew depot was still working to the "Robin Hood" line in 2008, and Shrewsbury and Worcester drivers were still covering some XC work, like they had previously under Central Trains.

LowLevel

Established Member
It may actually have been 2008 because there was a transition period of around 12 months after the Central Trains > London Midland > Neu XC franchise changeover. The newly transitioned XC Leicester traincrew depot was still working to the "Robin Hood" line in 2008, and Shrewsbury and Worcester drivers were still covering some XC work, like they had previously under Central Trains.

The train crew were under an arrangement for 12 months whereby EMT/LM/XC had transitional train crew diagramming (another one is London Midland Crewe train crew working to Derby, and EMT Nottingham crews working to Birmingham) but the fleets were fixed to their respective operators. The fleet diagrams started to be fixed in preparation for the split in the 2006 and 2007 timetable change though they could still be altered ad hoc and 170 diagrams for example interworked into 2007, EG the Shrewsbury, Stansted Airport and Leicester stopping trains being diagrammed together until the December 2007 timetable change, and until the actual split a 158 still appeared as a 'vice'. I was a regular user of these services around the time of the great breakup and it was interesting to observe over the 2 year period.

Established Member
Apparently the 1242 Derby to Crewe is running with a 170.

Mollman

Established Member
Apparently the 1242 Derby to Crewe is running with a 170.
Gosh that's quite a capacity and quality upgrade from the 153s I had to endure on regular pre-COVID trips to Derby & Nottingham!

Roast Veg

Established Member
Gosh that's quite a capacity and quality upgrade from the 153s I had to endure on regular pre-COVID trips to Derby & Nottingham!
Quite nice passing the Nescafe factory on a hot day with the windows open though. Lovely smell of coffee filling the whole train.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Just seen an EMR Aurora 810 video with a 170 render in the video.

See it on YouTube here and pause straightaway to see the render.
Are EMR putting new seats in the 170s or is this render just for show of what maybe possible?