• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 360's

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Is it really a downgrade? The 360s are getting fully refurbished to IC standards, so 2+2 in Standard and 2+1 in First. You’ll be getting up to 12 carriages at peak time too. To me, it seems like an upgrade, so by your logic you should be paying more!

If replacement of 22x's by Desiros is an upgrade, Avanti have missed a trick!
They could replace the 221s on all-wired journeys with the redundant 350/2s from WMT (after a change to 2+2 seats, of course).
And the 350/2s are even better than the 360s - they're through gangwayed!
:lol: :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

samuelmorris

Established Member
If replacement of 22x's by Desiros is an upgrade, Avanti have missed a trick!
They could replace the 221s on all-wired journeys with the redundant 350/2s from WMT (after a change to 2+2 seats, of course).
And the 350/2s are even better than the 360s - they're through gangwayed!
:lol: :lol:
I'm not sure if that's meant in jest or not. Desiro UK EMUs ride reasonably well, are quiet inside, certainly moreso than the DMUs currently used on EMR, and I find them perfectly pleasant to travel on, their only downside is usually the seating arrangement, easily remedied. Avanti would not have considered 350s for their purposes as they don't do 125mph, nor would they meet the bimode requirement to cascade Voyagers out.

D365

Veteran Member
Well it was on the wiki 360 page for a couple of days, thanks to someone’s vivid imagination. No evidence whatsoever of course...
There’s a big argument going on about whether all 360/1s are still operated by Greater Anglia... Seems that Twitter is a suitable citation for some rolling stock articles, but not for others.

Apparently 332014 is still operated by HEx :lol:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Good try!

No justification however.

I think there might be justification for EMR introducing a more aggressive price offering:
-Kettering / Wellingborough passengers no longer taking space off longer distance passengers
-Extra capacity to fill, with passengers to abstract from other routes (e.g. Huntingdon or Northampton) that currently have lower fares.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There’s a big argument going on about whether all 360/1s are still operated by Greater Anglia... Seems that Twitter is a suitable citation for some rolling stock articles, but not for others.

Apparently 332014 is still operated by HEx :lol:
Drifting off topic, but I did notice there’d been dozens of changes and reversions. I saw someone had even gone to the trouble of decorating 360/2s in EMR colours...

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Drifting off topic, but I did notice there’d been dozens of changes and reversions. I saw someone had even gone to the trouble of decorating 360/2s in EMR colours...
I know 360/2s aren't going into service with EMR but they could use possibly buy some 360/2s from whoever owns them for spares maybe or if a coach is damaged beyond repair from a collision perhaps?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I know 360/2s aren't going into service with EMR but they could use possibly buy some 360/2s from whoever owns them for spares maybe or if a coach is damaged beyone repair from a collision perhaps?
But the vast majority of spares for all of 350, 360, 450, 444 will be common to all the fleets, it’s many hundreds of units. Then add a few more interior common items if you include 185s.

Why do you think Siemens won‘t already have all the spares in place that they‘re ever likely to need? And not having a couple of spare vehicles has never seemingly worried anyone before, why would they suddenly need them now?

59CosG95

Established Member
I know 360/2s aren't going into service with EMR but they could use possibly buy some 360/2s from whoever owns them for spares maybe or if a coach is damaged beyond repair from a collision perhaps?
ISTR the 360/2s were bound for Thailand, for use on Bangkok's Airport Rail Link.
The ARL has 4 4-car "express" units (for which the 4th car is a baggage vehicle without any seats) and 5 3-car "City Line" units; the Express service was suspended a few years ago and all units now work City Line services, with the baggage car being converted to carry passengers.
Taking 5 5-car units and adding one of the trailer cars from each of those then gives a uniform 4-car fleet across the board.

Of course, I last heard the rumour in 2016, and 4 years is a very long time on the railway...

221101 Voyager

Established Member
But the vast majority of spares for all of 350, 360, 450, 444 will be common to all the fleets, it’s many hundreds of units. Then add a few more interior common items if you include 185s.

Why do you think Siemens won‘t already have all the spares in place that they‘re ever likely to need? And not having a couple of spare vehicles has never seemingly worried anyone before, why would they suddenly need them now?
On your 1st point fair enough.

So Siemens will be maintaining the 360's? But for how long?

With regards to spare coaches, if a coach or two is severely damaged and cannot be repaired what do Siemens do then?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
On your 1st point fair enough.

So Siemens will be maintaining the 360's? But for how long?

With regards to spare coaches, if a coach or two is severely damaged and cannot be repaired what do Siemens do then?
It doesn’t matter whether Siemens do the maintenance or not, they’re the original manufacturer and they and the ROSCOs will have built an appropriate level of spares availability into all the contracts.

After fairly serious accidents, eg the 350 tunnel collision, coaches that have been severely damaged have been repaired, either at Kilmarnock, or back in Germany. Spare vehicles in case of write off are hardly ever provided, whatever the fleet builder. I don’t believe it’s a significant enough issue to worry about.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Good try!

No justification however.
Well, there might be true in some way, but at the moment the Corby service is broadly one 4-car set per hour, with, for other than Corby stations an hourly Nottingham, already well loaded from stations further North, This will jump to 8 or 12 cars twice an hour. Bear in mind that the new 360 service will be no quicker as far as the Northamptonshire stations are concerned - slightly slower, even - the amenities broadly similar, and you say that the price must remain the same, what will stimulate the increase in demand to fill the trains in the new service? It's just basic economic theory in an elastic market; reducing price increases demand; reducing journey time increases demand; improving amenities increases demand. None of these is happening and arguably some are being reversed; what is going to fill those new trains? Or is that theory wrong?

Aictos

Established Member
I think it's a upgrade for Corby, Market Harborough, Kettering, Wellingborough, Bedford and Luton as passengers go from a hourly 4 to 5 car DEMU to a 30 minute frequency 8/12 car EMU which more then doubles the amount of seating and improves the service by running more trains, it also means that passengers for stations further north get a faster journey too.

OTRail

I think it's a upgrade for Corby, Market Harborough, Kettering, Wellingborough, Bedford and Luton as passengers go from a hourly 4 to 5 car DEMU to a 30 minute frequency 8/12 car EMU which more then doubles the amount of seating and improves the service by running more trains, it also means that passengers for stations further north get a faster journey too.
Not to mention that the Corby service was meant to be an outer suburban passenger service - 222s operated it due to stock shortages...

samuelmorris

Established Member
Well, there might be true in some way, but at the moment the Corby service is broadly one 4-car set per hour, with, for other than Corby stations an hourly Nottingham, already well loaded from stations further North, This will jump to 8 or 12 cars twice an hour. Bear in mind that the new 360 service will be no quicker as far as the Northamptonshire stations are concerned - slightly slower, even - the amenities broadly similar, and you say that the price must remain the same, what will stimulate the increase in demand to fill the trains in the new service? It's just basic economic theory in an elastic market; reducing price increases demand; reducing journey time increases demand; improving amenities increases demand. None of these is happening and arguably some are being reversed; what is going to fill those new trains? Or is that theory wrong?
Railway travel is not a normal good in the traditional sense because it's not as if someone will take a rival operator's service if they offer a better deal, in the vast majority of the country there is no rival operator. Increased frequency, or more specifically, far less likelihood of having to wait more than 30 minutes for a train, will generate a small amount of extra demand, the rest of the extra capacity is simply to serve the stations that come before the Corby branch.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can I remind posters that this thread is to discuss EMR Class 360s. If anyone wants to discuss fares then they are welcome to start a new thread in the fares section.

thank you

Aictos

Established Member
Railway travel is not a normal good in the traditional sense because it's not as if someone will take a rival operator's service if they offer a better deal, in the vast majority of the country there is no rival operator. Increased frequency, or more specifically, far less likelihood of having to wait more than 30 minutes for a train, will generate a small amount of extra demand, the rest of the extra capacity is simply to serve the stations that come before the Corby branch.
Very true and I can see the EMR Electrics service being very popular especially from Luton and Bedford as they won't be stopping anywhere else bar the Airport as it will offer faster connections then Thameslink and offer more comfort once refurbished.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Very true and I can see the EMR Electrics service being very popular especially from Luton and Bedford as they won't be stopping anywhere else bar the Airport as it will offer faster connections then Thameslink and offer more comfort once refurbished.
Unless travelling in first class (and even then perhaps debatable given seat preferences), the 360s will definitely offer a more comfortable travelling experience than 700s, even before the interiors are refurbished.

londonmidland

Established Member
think it's a upgrade for Corby, Market Harborough, Kettering, Wellingborough, Bedford and Luton as passengers go from a hourly 4 to 5 car DEMU to a 30 minute frequency 8/12 car EMU
I don’t mean to be pedantic but Market Harborough won’t be receiving the 360s as they’re destined for the Corby services only as far as I’m aware?

InTheEastMids

I don’t mean to be pedantic but Market Harborough won’t be receiving the 360s as they’re destined for the Corby services only as far as I’m aware?

The 360s will only work to Corby in normal operations. The EMR service spec is 6tph, 2*Corby, 2*Nottingham, 2* Sheffield. So even if you could send a 360 to Market Harborough (you can't, no electricity), it'd be at the expense of a Notts or Shef service.

Established Member

That would be news to me too.
Class 360 to Corby only (with the 810's for the Melton Extensions). Market Harborough will have 810's only when they arrive.

Updated class 360 list:

Class 360
360101 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (last unit to Northampton for Mods 21/11)
360102 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360103 - Blue with White stripe (at Cricklewood)
360104 - Blue with White stripe (at Kettering)
360105 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360106 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360107 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360108 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360109 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360110 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360111 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360112 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360113 - Blue with White stripe (at Kettering)
360114 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360115 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360116 - Blue with White stripe (at Kettering)
360117 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360118 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360119 - Blue with Greater Anglia Fleet names (returned to Anglia)
360120 - Blue with White stripe (at Cricklewood)
360121 - Blue with White stripe (at Cricklewood)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The 360s will only work to Corby in normal operations. The EMR service spec is 6tph, 2*Corby, 2*Nottingham, 2* Sheffield. So even if you could send a 360 to Market Harborough (you can't, no electricity), it'd be at the expense of a Notts or Shef service.
It would be possible to send a 360 to MH assuming the electrification is extended, as may be happening although not officially announced. I can see them doing that when there is engineering between MH and Leicester, with the 810s diverted via Harringworth providing the Corby service and the 360s serving MH instead.

Kneedown

Established Member
It would be possible to send a 360 to MH assuming the electrification is extended, as may be happening although not officially announced. I can see them doing that when there is engineering between MH and Leicester, with the 810s diverted via Harringworth providing the Corby service and the 360s serving MH instead.
I've never seen an official announcement as to wires going to MH, but there was piling work taking place at Glendon last Friday night/Sat morn.

Merle Haggard

Established Member

It's only an increase in frequency for Corby, the other stations you list already have a half-hourly one (pedantically, in the case of Luton. split between Town and Airport). The present trains are permitted to run at rather more than the 100 m.p.h. that the 360s are currently restricted to South of Bedford.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
It's only an increase in frequency for Corby, the other stations you list already have a half-hourly one (pedantically, in the case of Luton. split between Town and Airport). The present trains are permitted to run at rather more than the 100 m.p.h. that the 360s are currently restricted to South of Bedford.
The fact they can only do 100 south of Bedford will be partially offset by their good acceleration versus a 222.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
The fact they can only do 100 south of Bedford will be partially offset by their good acceleration versus a 222.
That's true - somewhere, there's a 0 - 100 mph performance comparison between different classes and the Desiros do show up well. Looking forward to storming out of P4 at Wellingborough, the Higham trains never did that!