• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 360's

43102EMR

Established Member
For start of service new May timetable some stats floating around
only 14 of the 21 units will be used with 8 car formations so peak ' run out' 7 x 8 car formations
and a start made cleaning external carriage bodywork to allow new vinyls/logos to be applies rather than repaint this will be dome in stabling
sidings rather than depots initially.
So the fleet will be vinyled as opposed to repainted? Or is this just as an interim solution?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
So the fleet will be vinyled as opposed to repainted? Or is this just as an interim solution?

Sounds to me like they'll get a few vinyls just to remind people that it's an EMR service but probably not the full-blown interim livery per other fleets as the base colours don't work - I'm expecting no more than an "EMR connect" in the white stripe already on the units.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Presumably the requirement for seven pairs of units is a function of the moves to and from Bedford Cauldwell Walk associated with the through services to Melton Mowbray?

It otherwise looks like only six pairs are required for the basic three hour cycles.
Yes, I think what we actually have is a case of 5 and 2 halfs. :D

Sounds to me like they'll get a few vinyls just to remind people that it's an EMR service but probably not the full-blown interim livery per other fleets as the base colours don't work - I'm expecting no more than an "EMR connect" in the white stripe already on the units.
That reminds me I was surprised to see “EMR Connect” mentioned in their May 2021 PR. I thought the 3 sub brands were Inter City, Electric, and Regional?

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
That reminds me I was surprised to see “EMR Connect” mentioned in their May 2021 PR. I thought the 3 sub brands were Inter City, Electric, and Regional?

Intercity, Electric & Regional were the three subbrands at launch, but I think they realised that "electrics" was a bit of a rubbish, hence the change. Quite rightly IMO

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Intercity, Electric & Regional were the three subbrands at launch, but I think they realised that "electrics" was a bit of a rubbish, hence the change. Quite rightly IMO
Yes, it wouldn‘t say very much when every other train in the area, (including Thameslink), eventually has a pan up anyway...

43102EMR

Established Member
Ahh ok that makes sense, just that the post above made it sound as though the full livery would be in vinyl form as opposed to a repaint (which imo would be terrible, the fleet is in desperate need of a repaint)

Aictos

Established Member
One doesn’t like to correct a correction, but anything south of St Albans is automatically south of Luton!
However I was correct specifically regards to the Bedford to Rainham services which don't stop at Radlett yet are declassified.

DannyMich2018

In Pre Covid times what were the loadings of Corby services south of Kettering/Wellingborough like? In my experience of them at Kettering I've never seen a Corby service (4/5 car 222) in either direction heavily loaded or even close to crowded so goodness know's why we need 8 or 12 coaches! The Nottingham service (Pre Covid) at Kettering was always much busier than the Corby service.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
In Pre Covid times what were the loadings of Corby services south of Kettering/Wellingborough like? In my experience of them at Kettering I've never seen a Corby service (4/5 car 222) in either direction heavily loaded or even close to crowded so goodness know's why we need 8 or 12 coaches! The Nottingham service (Pre Covid) at Kettering was always much busier than the Corby service.
The Corby services will be taking the entire London passenger traffic from Wellingborough and some from Kettering, including that currently using the peak extra calls by longer-distance trains. There will probably also be a large number from Bedford and the Lutons, where it will be more attractive versus Thameslink than the current hourly service of shorter trains already well filled much of the time. So I think it will be considerably more popular than the current service pattern, though obviously still affected by how passenger numbers in general trend post-Covid.

railneighbour

On a Saturday morning, the Corby trains would often be full and standing by the time they left Wellingborough. Always fun when they got to Bedford & Luton...

DG85

Pre-covid and Pre-Thameslink 2018 timetable change, EMT services stopped at Bedford and Luton stations during peaks which were very heavily loaded. Evening Peaks from St Pancras were just as busy so going by those levels 8/12 car can be justified especially as these services will be the only ones stopping at Wellingborough too.

LowLevel

Established Member
Today's update is that apparently first class will indeed be declassified on these trains, and that the reinstatement of this in the refurb is subject to a DfT review, for the time being anyone from Corby or Kettering wanting to use first class should change at Kettering for Intercity services.

Also no space for full sized cycles until the refurbishment happens.

DannyMich2018

On a Saturday morning, the Corby trains would often be full and standing by the time they left Wellingborough. Always fun when they got to Bedford & Luton...
Yes can imagine be busier further south. Also quicker from Bedford or Luton than TL. It's nice to see progress with electrification one day hopefully reach Nott/Sheffield.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Today's update is that apparently first class will indeed be declassified on these trains, and that the reinstatement of this in the refurb is subject to a DfT review, for the time being anyone from Corby or Kettering wanting to use first class should change at Kettering for Intercity services.

That's interesting. Elsewhere, there's been the suggestion that government announcements about railway policy cannot be made at the moment - the period of Purdah for a month before elections.
Adding 2 and 2 together and making 5* could it be that first class will be abolished, but DfT can't announce it until after May 16th ish? Seems strange that there's been a lot of EMR publicity about the 800s (some time away) and nothing about the 360s (3 and a half weeks).
There were comments by the Minister (I think) a little while ago about the general withdrawal of first class on commuter routes - possibly any announcement could be regarded as 'policy'..

*resisted crowbar-ing in something about 2+2 and 2+3 seating :lol:

Old DMU

Pleased to be a new member. Thank you. Interested in the roll out of class 360's to Corby. Have seen that on new May timetable the old Corby/Derby once a day train service has been, it looks like, replaced by a train North from St. Px at 10.45 via Corby to Melton Mowbray (serving Oakham), and South from Melton Mowbray at 13.15 via Corby to London St.Px. The times at Corby and London St. Px. match the new Connect 360 service times between Corby and London St.Px.. So my question is: The new Corby/London service with 360's is half hourly, but if the two trains mentioned reach Melton Mowbray (no wires), then i think they must be class 222's running those services? i.e. one of the so called electrics will be Diesel. Just a thought. I wondered how this affected the positioning of the sets as the service to MMowbray would not be back to Corby in time for the next return to London departure from Corby I would have thought unless they split the sets at Corby but one will be Diesel and one Electric??? Unless they sent a spare electric up from Kettering to fill the Corby southbound departure gap. Confusing. Haven't been able to see what stock used when I looked at realtime.:)

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Pleased to be a new member. Thank you. Interested in the roll out of class 360's to Corby. Have seen that on new May timetable the old Corby/Derby once a day train service has been, it looks like, replaced by a train North from St. Px at 10.45 via Corby to Melton Mowbray (serving Oakham), and South from Melton Mowbray at 13.15 via Corby to London St.Px. The times at Corby and London St. Px. match the new Connect 360 service times between Corby and London St.Px.. So my question is: The new Corby/London service with 360's is half hourly, but if the two trains mentioned reach Melton Mowbray (no wires), then i think they must be class 222's running those services? i.e. one of the so called electrics will be Diesel. Just a thought. I wondered how this affected the positioning of the sets as the service to MMowbray would not be back to Corby in time for the next return to London departure from Corby I would have thought unless they split the sets at Corby??? :)
It says “EMR Intercity” in the timetable

Established Member
Pleased to be a new member. Thank you. Interested in the roll out of class 360's to Corby. Have seen that on new May timetable the old Corby/Derby once a day train service has been, it looks like, replaced by a train North from St. Px at 10.45 via Corby to Melton Mowbray (serving Oakham), and South from Melton Mowbray at 13.15 via Corby to London St.Px. The times at Corby and London St. Px. match the new Connect 360 service times between Corby and London St.Px.. So my question is: The new Corby/London service with 360's is half hourly, but if the two trains mentioned reach Melton Mowbray (no wires), then i think they must be class 222's running those services? i.e. one of the so called electrics will be Diesel. Just a thought. I wondered how this affected the positioning of the sets as the service to MMowbray would not be back to Corby in time for the next return to London departure from Corby I would have thought unless they split the sets at Corby but one will be Diesel and one Electric??? Unless they sent a spare electric up from Kettering to fill the Corby southbound departure gap. Confusing. Haven't been able to see what stock used when I looked at realtime.:)
Welcome! The Melton services will use 222's and in the PDF timetable is branded as a Intercity service rather than Connect at the top of the column. Looking at real time trains:
The 1045 to Melton is followed by a empty 360 at 1048 from St Pancras which then forms the 1210 to London (would be return of the 1045).
On the return the 360 that arrives at Corby at 1356 then runs empty to Bedford Cauldwell Depot for maintenance and the 222 takes the path of the what would be 1410 from Corby at 1352. Another 360 comes off Cricklewood having been on maintenance at Bedford and run down earlier in the day to pick up the 1545 from St Pancras.

DG85

That’s correct, this particular connect service will indeed be a cl.222 (4car apparently) according to the drivers diagrams. This is for the purpose of route retention as it continues on from Melton Mowbray to Syston empty. It then returns starting from Melton to form the 13:51 from Corby to London.

Last edited:

Old DMU

That’s correct, this particular connect service will indeed be a cl.222 (4car apparently) according to the drivers diagrams. This is for the purpose of route retention as it continues on from Melton Mowbray to Syston empty. It then returns starting from Melton to form the 13:51 from Corby to London.
Thank you for that. But still wondering. That train North to M.Mowbray reaches Corby at 11.52, where the electric would reverse normally. So since as a class 222 it continues to M.Mowbray instead, where does the electric come from to be the next 12.11 south to London St. Px. Do they run up some empty stock from Kettering stabling?

On Moderation
Thank you for that. But still wondering. That train North to M.Mowbray reaches Corby at 11.52, where the electric would reverse normally. So since as a class 222 it continues to M.Mowbray instead, where does the electric come from to be the next 12.11 south to London St. Px. Do they run up some empty stock from Kettering stabling?
The answer is two posts above yours, if you look.

Old DMU

The answer is two posts above yours, if you look.
Thanks. I hadn't seen that.
Welcome! The Melton services will use 222's and in the PDF timetable is branded as a Intercity service rather than Connect at the top of the column. Looking at real time trains:
The 1045 to Melton is followed by a empty 360 at 1048 from St Pancras which then forms the 1210 to London (would be return of the 1045).
On the return the 360 that arrives at Corby at 1356 then runs empty to Bedford Cauldwell Depot for maintenance and the 222 takes the path of the what would be 1410 from Corby at 1352. Another 360 comes off Cricklewood having been on maintenance at Bedford and run down earlier in the day to pick up the 1545 from St Pancras.
Thanks.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Declassified 1st class on the 700s and now the 360s, passengers travelling from Bedford and Luton are in for a treat!

thatapanydude

Re. the first class declassification on the 360s and possible news on not bringing it back its very disappointing - I suspect any chance of future catering is now lost too. Especially as we all know passengers from Wellingborough are paying a premium vs other similarly placed areas to London for a now "commuter" service.

A0wen

On Moderation
Re. the first class declassification on the 360s and possible news on not bringing it back its very disappointing - I suspect any chance of future catering is now lost too. Especially as we all know passengers from Wellingborough are paying a premium vs other similarly placed areas to London for a now "commuter" service.

Catering on a journey lasting about an hour is a moot point though. There isn't catering on Northampton services, nor Cambridge services for example. I doubt very much the takings on catering south of Kettering were of any significance.

johnw

The loss of First Class from Wellingborough is a problem, especially if EMR continues to charge Intercity fares from Wellingborough.

I often purchased advanced first tickets from London to Wellingborough as for a quieter journey at not more much cost. Im future I will drive to Bedford.

Aictos

Established Member
Declassified 1st class on the 700s and now the 360s, passengers travelling from Bedford and Luton are in for a treat!
However declassifying 1st Class on the EMR fleet is likely to be temporary until the fleet gets refurbished unlike the TL fleet which has the rear most 1st Class in direction of travel permanently declassified.

Once the fleet is refurbished, I can't see them wishing to classify 1st Class plus I could see them offer weekend upgrades like I think London Midland used to do?