• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Overcrowding

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Well the good news is that EMR have reinstated the hourly service between Nottingham/Sheffield and Liverpool. The bad news is that, if the last two days are anything to go by, they've reduced the number of coaches on most services from 4 to 2!

Considering that even the 4 coach trains are often full and standing, this seems a very short-sighted approach.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llandudno

Established Member
Well the good news is that EMR have reinstated the hourly service between Nottingham/Sheffield and Liverpool. The bad news is that, if the last two days are anything to go by, they've reduced the number of coaches on most services from 4 to 2!

Considering that even the 4 coach trains are often full and standing, this seems a very short-sighted approach.
I think there are still a couple of 2 hour gaps?

Yep, 2 car trains are not uncommon…

MP393

There is still one gap in the morning which is the 09:42 (08:52 ex Liverpool) - Nottingham, and there isn’t an 09:18 Manchester - Cleethorpes either, which doesn’t help crowding on the next service.

dk1

Veteran Member
I think there are still a couple of 2 hour gaps?

Yep, 2 car trains are not uncommon…
Only missing trains on the Eastern leg of the route now are the 12:51 ex-Liverpool which terminates Nottingham & it’s 18:55 return from Norwich. It’s a shame as the Peterborough to Norwich part of the former has always been a well used service. .

Established Member

I think EMR are struggling for units. If you look on the website a number of services are being reported as 2v4 for the Liverpool's. 2 of the 3 diagrams on the Worksop are also running as 2v3 and you also have 4 coach services for Skegness. RTT shows only 2 of the 3 car 170's out today which normally there should be 4.

Nottingham59

Established Member
The bad news is that, if the last two days are anything to go by, they've reduced the number of coaches on most services from 4 to 2!
I went from Nottingham to Liverpool and back on Saturday and it was a 6-car 158 on the return journey. Specially done for the Nottingham-Sheffield game. So EMR can get it right sometimes.

STINT47

I'm booked on the 10:40 Nottingham to Norwich on Thursday. With no sest reservations and after reading this thread I'm bracing myself for sitting on my suitcase in the vestibule. Not ideal but it's the only way to Norfolk for me.

LowLevel

Established Member
It can be quite busy, actually, but you should be OK on a Thursday. Last few times I've worked that it's loaded to over 100 between Notts and Grantham and Peterborough and Ely. Hopefully that'll be relieved now by the preceding and following trains starting back from Liverpool as of Monday just gone.

STINT47

It can be quite busy, actually, but you should be OK on a Thursday. Last few times I've worked that it's loaded to over 100 between Notts and Grantham and Peterborough and Ely. Hopefully that'll be relieved now by the preceding and following trains starting back from Liverpool as of Monday just gone.

Fingers crossed it will be ok. I will not be to bothered if I have to stand till Grantham as standing for half an hour or so isn't the end of the world.

The train may then get busy again at Peterborough but by then I'll hopefully be sat down.

ScotGG

Established Member
As said it can be very busy on the eastern stretch too. Past couple of times I was on it was packed between Peterborough and Ely.

40C

As is now the norm for this train, 18 potential passengers turned away at Habrough this morning due to 2L62 Cleethorpes to Leicester already full and standing.

LowLevel

Established Member
Various 2 car Liverpool trains partly due to unit shortages and partly due to the signalling system failing between Boston and Sibsey causing long delays, stock and crew displacement.

davsarg

There's a Liverpool Lime Street to Norwich weekday service that leaves Lime Street at 07:42. What is everyone's experience of this service?

Killingworth

Established Member
Various 2 car Liverpool trains partly due to unit shortages and partly due to the signalling system failing between Boston and Sibsey causing long delays, stock and crew displacement.

So the 10.37 from Sheffield, according to RTT from Norwich and Skegness, came as a single 158. The former TPE 11.11 isn't running. Last week's Northern 6 car 11.14 was only 3 car and was totally rammed leaving passengers behind at Dore. The 12.14 left Dore equally rammed and with a thrown half full beer can. The joys of Saturdays on the railway.

LowLevel

Established Member
So the 10.37 from Sheffield, according to RTT from Norwich and Skegness, came as a single 158. The former TPE 11.11 isn't running. Last week's Northern 6 car 11.14 was only 3 car and was totally rammed leaving passengers behind at Dore. The 12.14 left Dore equally rammed and with a thrown half full beer can. The joys of Saturdays on the railway.
The 1037 from Sheffield should have been 4 but unfortunately it's portion which should have arrived in Nottingham at about 0920 was running nearly an hour late due to signalling problems between Boston and Wainfleet so it was sent without it.

Killingworth

Established Member
The 1037 from Sheffield should have been 4 but unfortunately it's portion which should have arrived in Nottingham at about 0920 was running nearly an hour late due to signalling problems between Boston and Wainfleet so it was sent without it.

Trouble is the ordinary traveller just experiences a very bad journey. In the case described that was due to issues at all 3 TOCs on the route and distant Network Rail. The users leaving muttering 'never again' probably will return, but not if it keeps happening.

Failed Unit

Established Member
As is now the norm for this train, 18 potential passengers turned away at Habrough this morning due to 2L62 Cleethorpes to Leicester already full and standing.
I must admit this is a pity for this service as it now creates a 4 hour gap in service between grimsby and Lincoln. it is a shame they don’t have the stock to make it 3 cars. But it shows that the hourly service the route was promised (but is never likely to happen is needed.). If I need to Travel at this time I drive as you just can’t expect get onboard. Not a way to run a railway.

DannyMich2018

A few EMR intercity serices are short formed today. 12.19 Kettering to Nott (ex St Pancras) busy from Kett as 5 cars instead of 10. With Leicester at home today for the last game of the season be fun later.

I was on 20:05 STP-NOT tonight. I was in First Class but it was incredibly busy in standard, wasn't expecting it - gates were shut for boarding 8 minutes before the train departed as it had reached capacity - not sure I've had this happen before at St Pancras when there isn't even any disruption - but I think it was probably the right call as all the seats were taken, vestibules and aisles full and standing from what I could see.

This was the 4-car 180 (180110?) - TM said that it was usually 5 cars and apologised a few times for the travelling conditions - I asked later on and he said that 5 cars was usually just about manageable for this service but 4 cars has been proving unworkable recently. Is this carriage being repaired and if so when is it being reinstated?

Also - both 20:02 to Sheffield and 20:05 Nottingham had platforms displayed at exactly the same time at St Pancras - caused a huge (and unnecessary) surge forward - surely they could have waited a couple of minutes to display the Nottingham departure?
Interesting comment from TM that 5 cars was usually just about manageable for the 20.05 as the EMR seat finder puts this service in green on weekdays
just how reliable is that seat finder tool as on some journeys i've made it bears no resemblance to reality/

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Interesting comment from TM that 5 cars was usually just about manageable for the 20.05 as the EMR seat finder puts this service in green on weekdays
just how reliable is that seat finder tool as on some journeys i've made it bears no resemblance to reality/
I used the 20.05 at the end of April, 5 car 180, and was busy but it seemed everyone got a seat. It had been the 4 car unit the previous 2 or 3 days so I struck quite lucky.

I did think there being no seat reservations on that one helps.

BJames

Established Member
I used the 20.05 at the end of April, 5 car 180, and was busy but it seemed everyone got a seat. It had been the 4 car unit the previous 2 or 3 days so I struck quite lucky.

I did think there being no seat reservations on that one helps.
Seems his comments match with reality then - but definitely agreed on the seat finder, how does it work out crowding levels? Does it rely on TM input or ticket sales or another way? One of the quietest services I've had recently was yellow on the seat finder - and as said above the 20:05 being green does not match with my experience.

Established Member
Seems his comments match with reality then - but definitely agreed on the seat finder, how does it work out crowding levels? Does it rely on TM input or ticket sales or another way? One of the quietest services I've had recently was yellow on the seat finder - and as said above the 20:05 being green does not match with my experience.
I don't think it gets updated that often as the times shown from Derby towards Crewe are showing the old xx43 times not the current xx48 departure which has been in place since for a year.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
How is the seat finder populated I wonder?

Nottingham59

Established Member
How is the seat finder populated I wonder?
The website people look to see on which trains the sales department are offering lots of advance tickets, and flag those, as they will be the least busy. And the sales department looks at the seat finder to see where they need to offer more advance fares. :D

LowLevel

Established Member
Not strictly overcrowding but I assume the fate of at least some of the first class lounges has been decided - Nottingham has had all signage removed/taped over this week.

paddy1

Not strictly overcrowding but I assume the fate of at least some of the first class lounges has been decided - Nottingham has had all signage removed/taped over this week.
According to the EMR website, all the First Class lounges are currently closed.

LowLevel

Established Member
According to the EMR website, all the First Class lounges are currently closed.
Yes, but until yesterday the Nottingham one still had it's window signage and station signage in place. That has all now been removed or covered over suggesting the closure is perhaps more permanent.

paddy1

If true
Yes, but until yesterday the Nottingham one still had it's window signage and station signage in place. That has all now been removed or covered over suggesting the closure is perhaps more permanent

Yes, but until yesterday the Nottingham one still had it's window signage and station signage in place. That has all now been removed or covered over suggesting the closure is perhaps more permanent.
If true, that is surprising. Based on the last published figures I saw, Nottingham has the largest London flow of all MML stations north of Bedford and I would expect that to be reflected pro-rata in London first class traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.