• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Various Driver Roles - Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Attached is information on potential route card and salary from the EMR depot manager. Good luck to anyone applying.

Expected routes are:
Liverpool - Nottingham (plus diversions)
Derby - Crewe
Nottingham - Newark Castle

Maximum shift length of 10hr 30mins.

Attachments

• 4656E4F9-EF70-4ACF-B455-D09555B3FC6C.jpeg
    4656E4F9-EF70-4ACF-B455-D09555B3FC6C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 581
  • E0FEE0F9-4E09-477B-A718-AA8E83685D8E.jpeg
    E0FEE0F9-4E09-477B-A718-AA8E83685D8E.jpeg
    596.2 KB · Views: 563

Liverpool 507

I know it is only currently various Driver and Driver Manager roles being recruited, but are there any plans to recruit Senior Conductors and even Customer Hosts (if catering returns to this route) in the future, based at Liverpool?

LowLevel

Established Member
I know it is only currently various Driver and Driver Manager roles being recruited, but are there any plans to recruit Senior Conductors and even Customer Hosts (if catering returns to this route) in the future, based at Liverpool?

Yes, there will be guards based at Liverpool. Expect vacancies to appear in the next couple of months, drivers are recruited first as it takes longer to train them.

Manda2194

Can anyone tell me more about the recruitment process. The job advert mentions these dates and events which seem different to most TOCS.

What's the difference between driver testing stages and assessment days.

I assume assessments days are the OPC tests and competency based interviews are the DMI? I could be completely wrong here.

• Part 1 – Driver testing Stage 1: 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th April 2021

• Part 2 – Assessment Days: Week Commencing 19th April 2021

• Part 3 – Competency based interviews: Week Commencing 3rd May 2021

• Part 4 – Driver testing Stage 2: Week Commencing 24th May 2021

Busyboy89

MMI is at the end of part 4 as well, assessment day was great actually all About group exercises and mini speed interviews was very enjoyable.

Manda2194

MMI is at the end of part 4 as well, assessment day was great actually all About group exercises and mini speed interviews was very enjoyable.
That's interesting. What kind of group exercises do they have you doing?

This seems a different kind of process and a lot more through than most TOCs.

TrainTracks

What’s the relevance of the apprenticeship? I note it says you have to do GCSE Maths/English - if you’ve done it already, do you have to do it again?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
What’s the relevance of the apprenticeship? I note it says you have to do GCSE Maths/English - if you’ve done it already, do you have to do it again?

Franchise requirement to introduce more apprenticeships. Until recently the EM franchise didn’t recruit mainline drivers off the street, you had to become a depot driver first then progress. The apprenticeships give you a mainline driver role straight away. I believe it’s a year in total.

I’d imagine if the qualifications are already held you’d not need to repeat them.

Inthe4foot

Franchise requirement to introduce more apprenticeships. Until recently the EM franchise didn’t recruit mainline drivers off the street, you had to become a depot driver first then progress. The apprenticeships give you a mainline driver role straight away. I believe it’s a year in total.

I’d imagine if the qualifications are already held you’d not need to repeat them.
Depot drivers do the apprenticeship as well, its The same course mainline or depot, I’ve just finished my classroom stuff, 1 week into my mentoring with EMR

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Depot drivers do the apprenticeship as well, its The same course mainline or depot, I’ve just finished my classroom stuff, 1 week into my mentoring with EMR

Ah cool, didn't realise that! Good luck with the mentoring :)

Eccles1983

On Moderation
What's the T&C's like for qualified drivers?

Sundays in/out? Movement of spare? Maximum driving hours.

Thanks in advance.

Inthe4foot

Thank you. From my understanding the apprenticeship is so all drivers freight or passenger services, depot driver or service driver are all trained to the same standard And do the same rules. They they go off to their TOC, FOC, OAO etc and do traction, route learning etc.
The March course has 3 freight mainline, mainline for EMR and depot drivers on.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
What's the T&C's like for qualified drivers?

Sundays in/out? Movement of spare? Maximum driving hours.

Thanks in advance.
Sundays inside on a 35hr week, maximum day is 10hr 30mins. Spare movement I recall is 2hr 30mins (or possibly 2hr).

harry370

im 1hr 6mins drive from liverpool lime street ,worth applying still or will i be filtered out pretty quickly ?:s

Aivilo

1hr 6m at what time of the day. They pretty strict on this due to the fatigue index and is the first rule break of following instructions

Busyboy89

Depot drivers do the apprenticeship as well, its The same course mainline/depot

build bridges out of paper, tape and pens something like that. It’s not about the exercises it’s how you communicate and talk I think as your in random teams. :)

YingYing

Last time I did mine one of the tasks was to build half a bridge out of a lego set and it had to be symmetrical to the other half of the team's efforts. A wall was put in between us so we could only communicate verbally and couldn't see the other one. It was quite fun overall, and I knew a few of the other applicants that were there on the day, although there were some people who didn't quite seem to get the idea of teamwork. There was also a speed-dating style interview session where we sat down at a table with 2 assessors and were asked a question and had 2 minutes to give an answer before moving on to the next table and the next question. I don't know of any other TOC that has group interviews, but it was an interesting experience nevertheless.

TrainTracks

Bit of a general question but intrigued to know specifically for EMR too, how does overtime work in railways? Is it an hourly rate/daily rate? Only if work rd’s, or over specific hours? Is it pre planned or late notice cover or both? Thanks in advance

rhys37429

Last time I did mine one of the tasks was to build half a bridge out of a lego set and it had to be symmetrical to the other half of the team's efforts. A wall was put in between us so we could only communicate verbally and couldn't see the other one. It was quite fun overall, and I knew a few of the other applicants that were there on the day, although there were some people who didn't quite seem to get the idea of teamwork. There was also a speed-dating style interview session where we sat down at a table with 2 assessors and were asked a question and had 2 minutes to give an answer before moving on to the next table and the next question. I don't know of any other TOC that has group interviews, but it was an interesting experience nevertheless.
What type of questions did they ask?

Wonder how the team assesment will work with the potential of Covid.

YingYing

What type of questions did they ask?

Wonder how the team assesment will work with the potential of Covid.
It was almost 2 years ago now, so I really don't recall. Pretty sure they were standard interview questions, though not competancy based. I'm sure one went along the lines of "How do you think you will have to adapt your lifestyle to fit around being a train driver". It was worded in such a way that I don't think I quite understood what they wanted.

With regards to how will it work, I'm also intrigued. I can't imagine having 30-odd people in the same room all handling lego bricks would work out well. Nor can I imagine everyone trying to talk over each other over a Zoom call! :lol:

Signalgirl

Does anyone know if the apprenticeship driver salary advertised is the training salary, the salary once qualified, or if the salary remains the same throughout training and working?

Also, what does Sundays ‘in’ mean? They are included as part of the 35 hour week rather than classed as overtime? My base rate as a signaller is less than the salary advertised but easily exceeds it by working Sundays/nights/the odd bit of overtime. Just trying to work out if I’d take a hit financially if I went for it. Thanks in advance.

Manda2194

Certainly sounds a different experience to all the others but it sounds like an enjoyable day but I agree how they adapt to COVID will be very interesting.

Did they have you doing other group tasks as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.