• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Energy price rises and price cap discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainbike46

Established Member
Which is exactly what the Labour plan proposed - six months of support to get us through to spring and then a review to study the lay of the land. This was, of course, derided as unworkable, until it suddenly wasn't.
That is the way of the tory party... Insist that labour's plans are impossible and then implement them

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trebor79

Established Member
Not sure I agree with no support for business at all. There are a lot of smaller businesses that are just getting over the impact of Covid, are still struggling with the impacts of Brexit and which will be finished off by the sudden rise in energy prices. That's a lot of future tax revenue that would be lost.
Tough. If businesses can't meet their costs they fail, that's how it works. If the demand for whatever they produce is still there, they can either raise prices or another business will pop up to fill their place. A lot of these smaller businesses aren't very capital intensive so there are relatively low barriers to entry.
Why should someone have their lifestyle subsidised, just because they happen to run a small business?

Broucek

I think the need going into Autumn / Winter was something simple and fast to head off fear.

Targeting is great in theory but needs careful design to avoid a level of complexity that will be beyond some people (particularly the most vulnerable, sadly) and other unintended consequences.

Perhaps not in this case, but sometimes a universal solution is not THAT much more expensive as the admin is so much simpler. After all, although my energy company knows where I live and how much power I use, it has no idea about my household, my income or my savings...

Status
Not open for further replies.