• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Enfield to Colindale by Public Transport

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good Morning,

On Saturday 29 June, I may be visiting a model rail show in the morning which is near Enfield Chase Railway Station, then after that I hope to visit a friend who lives not far from Colindale Station.

It's not a part of London that I know very well, is there an easy way to travel between those 2 locations with out having to go back into Central London and out again?

Many Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Doesn't look like it. The best I can find would take almost two hours, and that involves several changes:

FCC to Bowes Park
Walk to Bounds Green
221 bus to Mill Hill Broadway
305 bus to Colindale

You could also stay on the 221 to Edgware and use the Northern line.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
The 232 bus (which runs within walking distance of Bowes Park) will take you to Brent Cross tube, a couple of stops from Colindale on the Northern Line. That said, the route is subject to severe delays traffic on the North Circular Road, which on a Saturday can be pretty horrific, so I really wouldn't recommend it. Colindale itself is really poorly connected from the east, so I'm not sure what to suggest.

transmanche

Established Member
It's not a part of London that I know very well, is there an easy way to travel between those 2 locations with out having to go back into Central London and out again?
TfL's Journey Planner suggests that the fastest journey is Enfield Chase to Kings Cross on FCC, then Northern line to Colindale - taking an hour.

As W-on-Sea says, anything involving the 232 will be horrendous on a Saturday. And like Ivo I can't think of anything that comes much under two hours:

121 from Enfield Chase to Southgate
125 from Southgate to Oakleigh Road (Pollard Road)
251 from Oakleigh Road to Mill Hill Broadway
303 from Mill Hill Broadway to Colindale

CatfordCat

TfL journey planner suggests about an hour for the 377 - Oakwood, Piccadilly to Arnos Grove, 232 to Brent Cross, Northern Line option.

Bowes Park, walk to Bounds Green, bus 102 to Golders Green then northern line is coming in just over an hour. The 102 route may be less traffic prone than the 232.

May be worth a play with TfL journey planner and see what it says - if you are so inclined, it may be worth going to the 'cycling and walking' tab and adjusting the walking speed and / or distance - default setting is no more than 20 minutes' walk at their definition of 'average' walking speed, and that seems to be slightly less than a mile.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
The 102 would certainly be less traffic-jam prone than the 232, especially during shopping hours on a Saturday (the traffic problems on the North Circular have much to do with travel to/from Brent Cross Shopping Centre), but the route it takes is hardly direct. The 210 from Finsbury Park would be another alternative to get you to Golders Green, or indeed right outside Brent Cross tube, but realistically any route entirely by train/tube is going to be substantially faster than any involving buses for this journey.

nicobobinus

My suggestion would be to trace 'round the top' and avoid the A406 & shoppers sardine can that is the 232 on a weekend.

1. 307 from Enfield Chase to Barnet (would recommend New Barnet Station to grab the seat of your choice on the next bus) - runs every 10 minutes, takes about 15-20 minutes
2. 107 from Barnet to Barnet Gate/Stirling Corner (every 15 minutes, takes about 15 minutes). Get off at the stop AFTER the roundabout and cross the road to the stop opposite. Don't be put off by the 'provincial' bus stops, TfL buses stop here and accept Oyster/travelcards!
3. 292 from Stirling Corner to Colindale (every 15 minutes, takes about half an hour)

Could take an hour if you're lucky with buses. 90 minutes if not. Very much skirts the fringes of built up London, so plenty of foot-to-floor running along 40 roads past almost-countryside.

Last edited:

causton

Established Member
My suggestion would be to trace 'round the top' and avoid the A406 & shoppers sardine can that is the 232 on a weekend.

1. 307 from Enfield Chase to Barnet (would recommend New Barnet Station to grab the seat of your choice on the next bus) - runs every 10 minutes, takes about 15-20 minutes
2. 107 from Barnet to Barnet Gate/Stirling Corner (every 15 minutes, takes about 15 minutes). Get off at the stop AFTER the roundabout and cross the road to the stop opposite. Don't be put off by the 'provincial' bus stops, TfL buses stop here and accept Oyster/travelcards!
3. 292 from Stirling Corner to Colindale (every 15 minutes, takes about half an hour)

Could take an hour if you're lucky with buses. 90 minutes if not. Very much skirts the fringes of built up London, so plenty of foot-to-floor running along 40 roads past almost-countryside.

That was the route I was going to suggest, or something similar to that! I believe when changing between stages 1 and 2 you get off at the stop *after* the New Barnet, Sainsbury's one (you'll see the Sainsbury's on the left), just after you go under the railway bridge. Then take the 107 to Stirling Corner as above.

...If only the Uno route 614 still accepted Oysters/travelcards, I would get you to use that as it goes direct from Barnet to Burnt Oak (then it's not far to Colindale) but it would cost you an extra £2 or so to take that option, plus it's something ridiculous like every 2 hours on a Saturday via Barnet!

Be3G

Established Member
Alas the orbital travel options we have in Enfield aren't great. Boris did say he'd trial express orbital bus routes, which I was originally quite excited about, but it never happened!* I suppose Boris wants everyone to use the Overground for orbital travel, which would be great, if it actually entered the borough of Enfield…

Anyway, as an ‘Enfieldian’, I don't think I can add anything to the suggestions already given. The train+tube option is likely to be fastest, but for a slightly more scenic and relaxing route the 307+107 is probably the best bet.

* Boris upped the frequency of the X26 in South London and made that the extent of his ‘trial’ – didn't really count, in my opinion.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Orbital travel is generally poor throughout the outer london zones. It's part of why there's so much car dependency

ashworth

Established Member

I traveled from Edgware to Walthamstow about a year ago changing buses at Stirling Corner and Barnett. I know its not the most direct route but I had plenty of time and was just doing it for the ride.
I was a bit put off when I alighted at Stirling Corner about the provincial bus stops and lack of information about Tfl buses from these stops. It's quite a pleasant route and feels quite rural in some parts.

philjo

Established Member
The 292 goes to Colindale Asda. If you want the area near Colindale station you may find it quicker/easier to get off the 292 at Edgware Station & use the Northen Line to Colindale.
I did that last year (travelled from Potters Bar on the 398 to Borehamwood Tesco then 292 to Edgware then Northen Line to Colindale).

AndrewP

This is one of those journeys I'd have driven when I lived in Enfield.

A couple of options:

FCC to Haringey - walk to Green Lanes - train to Gospel Oak - Walk to Belsize Park then Northern Line to Colindale

I would go via KX though.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

THANK YOU to everyone for all these great suggestions. I was thinking of the 221/232 but your comments have put me off, so I think I will do this journey as advised by nicobobinus. I only have zones 6-2 on my travel card so that's why I was trying to avoid Central London. On the way back I'll prob get the northern line to Hampstead and change onto the LOO to Clalpham Jct and onto home from there.

ashworth

Established Member
THANK YOU to everyone for all these great suggestions. I was thinking of the 221/232 but your comments have put me off, so I think I will do this journey as advised by nicobobinus. I only have zones 6-2 on my travel card so that's why I was trying to avoid Central London. On the way back I'll prob get the northern line to Hampstead and change onto the LOO to Clalpham Jct and onto home from there.

If you are wanting to use the London Overground I would suggest staying on the Northern Line one more stop to Belsize Park. It's no more than 5 minutes walk from Belsize Park tube station to Hampstead Heath Overground Station.
When you come out of Belsize Park station turn right and walk up the hill and then take footpath on the right just before very large church. This footpath goes past main entrance to Royal Free Hospital. Turn right down the hill and Hampstead Heath Station is on the left just behind the number 24 and 168 bus terminus.
I used this station regularly when staying at Hampstead Premier Inn earlier this year which is very close to Belsize Park tube.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
If you are wanting to use the London Overground I would suggest staying on the Northern Line one more stop to Belsize Park. It's no more than 5 minutes walk from Belsize Park tube station to Hampstead Heath Overground Station.
When you come out of Belsize Park station turn right and walk up the hill and then take footpath on the right just before very large church. This footpath goes past main entrance to Royal Free Hospital. Turn right down the hill and Hampstead Heath Station is on the left just behind the number 24 and 168 bus terminus.
I used this station regularly when staying at Hampstead Premier Inn earlier this year which is very close to Belsize Park tube.

OK, Thank you for this extra item of info. Rgds.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thank you to everybody's suggestions here re the journey I was planning.

I followed the advise and used the 307,107,292 connections all worked, journey time just under 90 minutes, and then later the walk as suggested from Belsize Park Stn to the LOO at Hampstead Heath Station where I only had to wait 5 mins for a direct train to Clapham Junction.

Status
Not open for further replies.