• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

England & Wales Tracing App to be released Sept 24th

Will You Download the App?

• Yes - As Soon As Possible

Votes: 53 24.0%
  • Maybe - Will see how roll out goes

Votes: 46 20.8%
  • No - Privacy / Data Security

Votes: 61 27.6%
  • No - Risk of Self Isolation

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • No - Technology (No Smartphone / Incompatible / Battery)

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 11 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member
I wonder how many people deactivated the BT bit and never turned it back on again.

I did that last night when it was announced that West Yorkshire was being moved to Naughty Step 3. I don't see the point in playing along with a government that constantly moves the goalposts, including changing the risk level for alerts. And besides, now that there is less opportunity for social interaction what's the point?

Bantamzen

Established Member
I've just noticed that a previous update now forces you to have Bluetooth on in order to access the app's functions. That was definitely not the case when I first downloaded it, so that's been snuck in since.

nlogax

Established Member
I've just noticed that a previous update now forces you to have Bluetooth on in order to access the app's functions. That was definitely not the case when I first downloaded it, so that's been snuck in since.

Maybe you don't realise there are update notes freely available which detail the changes. Those changes have not been 'snuck in'.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/nhs-covid-19-app-updates-across-england-and-wales
  • Around 40% of adults with eligible smartphones have now downloaded the NHS COVID-19 app
    [*]Updates increase app’s accuracy in identifying close contacts
    [*]Removes unnecessary exposure notifications to improve communications to app users
NHS COVID-19 app users will benefit from updates to the app that make it more accurate and user-friendly from today, 29 October. This is the latest in a series of updates since national launch, designed to improve the efficacy and usability of the app.

nlogax

Established Member
But who checks government websites for details of app changes? Not many people, I would expect.

Then..maybe people should? Especially for high profile apps such as these.

Point is the development of these things isn't done in a dark cupboard somewhere - it has to be as transparent as possible bearing in mind nationwide adoption as recommended by government and deployment to millions of users. The Github repo is listed upthread and update notes are always available for the vast majority of users, ie those that aren't interested in code.

Bantamzen

Established Member

nlogax

Established Member
That's not a release note, its a media briefing! Anyway that notwithstanding, where does it mention that Bluetooth must be switched on to access the app's functions? Because I can't see any mention there.

Why, what functions can't you perform?

FWIW I've just created a QR code for my own home and checked in. Bluetooth off. It works for me (Android handset)

Screenshot_20201030-113232_NHS Covid-19.jpg

I appreciate that screenshot doesn't demonstrate that bluetooth is disabled but you'll have to take my word for it.

Last edited:

DB

Then..maybe people should? Especially for high profile apps such as these.

That isn't going to happen.

If the government actually wanted to notify people, a message in the app itself would be the way to do it.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Why, what functions can't you perform?

FWIW I've just created a QR code for my own home and checked in. Bluetooth off. It works for me (Android handset)

I've just launched it now without Bluetooth and it won't leave a splash screen to enable Bluetooth, and if I switch it on then the functions become available. But switch it off and the app returns to the said splash screen. This is v3.9 on Android.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Interesting that the trigger score for sending an alert has been lowered from 900 points to 120. Looking at the original chart, that means if you are 2-4m away from someone (who subsequently reports a positive test) for just 5 minutes, you will now receive an alert to isolate.

Definitely snucked that one in - it's not on the update page but a page linked to that one.

To accommodate this, the ‘risk threshold’ was due to be lowered, but this change did not take place at that time. The updated version of the app addresses this by lowering the threshold at which users are deemed to be at risk of having caught the virus and alerted to self-isolate. The threshold was due to move from 900 to 180, but because we have a new statistical algorithm taking advantage of improved distance estimation, we are now lowering it to 120.

The update to the risk threshold is expected to increase the number of people asked to self-isolate by the app, having been in close contact with someone who has tested positive. We believe lowering the threshold is necessary to reduce the R rate and break the chain of transmission.

taken from this page:
how-the-nhs-covid-19-app-is-making-the-most-of-cutting-edge-global-technology

The original chart of how the algorithm awards points is attached.

Attachments

• NHS tracking algorithm.png
    NHS tracking algorithm.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 17

Yew

Established Member
So they've lowered it by a factor of 7.5, why?

_toommm_

Established Member
So they've lowered it by a factor of 7.5, why?

We’ll be returning to the days of March soon where people won’t walk past each other on the pavement, and someone will decide to take a wide berth into traffic in order to stay 2M apart.

Yew

Established Member
We’ll be returning to the days of March soon where people won’t walk past each other on the pavement, and someone will decide to take a wide berth into traffic in order to stay 2M apart.
Road traffic deaths don't go on the covid statistics, so it's fine!

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Road traffic deaths don't go on the covid statistics, so it's fine!
It's OK, there won't be much road traffic soon (perhaps Monday, perhaps 1601 today) outside of delivery and collection times for schoolkids.

big_rig

Interesting that the trigger score for sending an alert has been lowered from 900 points to 120. Looking at the original chart, that means if you are 2-4m away from someone (who subsequently reports a positive test) for just 5 minutes, you will now receive an alert to isolate.

Definitely snucked that one in - it's not on the update page but a page linked to that one.

taken from this page:
how-the-nhs-covid-19-app-is-making-the-most-of-cutting-edge-global-technology

The original chart of how the algorithm awards points is attached.

Very interesting, thank you for posting. Personally I haven’t had much desire to install this and this confirms it for me. I don’t fancy my phone telling me to stay at home for two weeks because somebody sat a few seats away for me on the tube for two stops whilst both masked, for instance.

birchesgreen

Established Member

I must admit the time someone literally pressed themselves face first into a holly bush to avoid passing within 1m of me was the kind of light relief i need now

Tramfan

That's been happening in Newcastle for weeks now, the most disturbing of which was when I turned the corner on a pavement and a young girl, probably around 3 or 4 years old and walking just slightly ahead of her mother, made to jump into the road rather than pass me on the path.

Bikeman78

Established Member
It's OK, there won't be much road traffic soon (perhaps Monday, perhaps 1601 today) outside of delivery and collection times for schoolkids.
I disgaree. Come and stand next to Newport Road in Cardiff. Given that most places are shut, I've no idea where people are going but there are plenty of cars out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.