• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

England's new three-tier lockdown system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip

On Moderation
Regarding the travel in and out of the area 'guidance', since it isn't a travel ban are they implying a common sense approach, ie. don't travel if you or a household member has symptoms? Reduce use of public transport if possible? I don't see why making a trip from Salford to Stockport for example is anymore legitimate than a trip from Salford to Nantwich or Buxton for example.

I have already booked to view a boat that I'm interested in buying this coming Saturday, but it is located in the London area. I can drive there so would this be more sensible than taking the train, given the 'travel guidance'?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I can drive there so would this be more sensible than taking the train, given the 'travel guidance'?

Although you personally are at more safety risk overall from driving and the risk of a road accident.

Megafuss

I think what would have helped is if the Government had made clear that Manchester was still getting the £60m on top of the £22mill they would have got anyway. It's been a comms disaster rather than anything else.

Taking a step back, can someone explain how the Liverpool City Region and Sheffield City Region Mayor's can agree a deal with the government but not Manchester?

Bantamzen

Established Member
And now South Yorkshire is to go to Tier 3. The creeping lockdown is gathering pace....

South Yorkshire, including the districts of Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster and Barnsley are to be placed in the "very high" tier three level of coronavirus restrictions from 00:01 on Saturday, the region's mayor says.

Dan Jarvis, who leads the Sheffield City Region, says the government will provide a total of £41m to support local businesses and public health teams.

Still at least £41 million will make things better.... :rolleyes:

big_rig

Some good news from Liverpool. The Government has reversed its position and let gyms there re-open under Tier 3. This has happened because one gym (aptly named The People's Gym) refused to close and crowdfunded money to keep paying the fines to remain open under the Tier 3 rules for Liverpool which said they had to close, keeping the issue on the agenda.

I think this is genuinely excellent news to be honest. The govt had already allowed gyms in other Tier 3 regions to stay open but I think this has really put an end to the idea of closing them based on nonsense non-evidence from SAGE (and their other nonsense non-evidence rationale that 'people can still exercise outside in winter'). Hopefully it is the first of many pushbacks against further nonsense.

Latest coronavirus updates as gyms across the Liverpool City Region are set to reopen but soft play centres face enforced closure.

Metro Mayor Steve Rotheram has today confirmed that Whitehall bosses have listened to the arguments put forward by him and fellow local leaders about the disparity between the new restrictions.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I had a quick look on google, but to my surprise I can’t see this in the media.
A noticeboard (yesterday) in what seems like a tube station has the following text
‘Hi Boris, can we have £108m for a PPE Contract, even though we have never made any before?’

‘Sure here you are’

‘Hi Boris, can we have £12bn for a track+trace system that is an embarrassment?’

‘Yes, here you go’

‘Hi Prime Minister, can we have £65m that’s been fully costed to help people survive this pandemic?’

‘Go f yourself’
2B8739B6-A0C0-46C7-9525-825A9050CC10.jpeg

big_rig

Look at the text in the roundel ('this isn't real) - there are templates people can use for these. Quite a strange activity in my opinion.

geoffk

Established Member
The advice appears to be that "people should try to avoid travelling outside the ‘very high’ area they are in, or entering a ‘very high’ area." Travel is not banned, it's guidance only. I live on the edge of Greater Manchester and often go to Todmorden as I used to live there, know lots of people there and play in their orchestra (yes we are rehearsing at the moment, in small groups). I only visit Rochdale for the bank. We are past the season when crowds descend on beaches or beauty spots so hopefully we can all use our common sense!

Freightmaster

Established Member
Some good news from Liverpool. The Government has reversed its position and let gyms there re-open under Tier 3. This has happened because one gym (aptly named The People's Gym) refused to close and crowdfunded money to keep paying the fines to remain open under the Tier 3 rules for Liverpool which said they had to close, keeping the issue on the agenda.
Average Joe's for the win!! :D

YIzxL.jpg

(screenshot of Average Joe's team celebrating from the movie 'Dodgeball')

takno

Established Member
The advice appears to be that "people should try to avoid travelling outside the ‘very high’ area they are in, or entering a ‘very high’ area." Travel is not banned, it's guidance only. I live on the edge of Greater Manchester and often go to Todmorden as I used to live there, know lots of people there and play in their orchestra (yes we are rehearsing at the moment, in small groups). I only visit Rochdale for the bank. We are past the season when crowds descend on beaches or beauty spots so hopefully we can all use our common sense!
This whole being on a beach thing doesn't appear to have caused any particular spread, and doesn't deserve the opprobrium that was heaped on it at the time. Personally I have no issues at all with you travelling out of your high-tier level to engage in an inherently much more risky indoor activity.

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that just because you want to do it it's common sense, and that everybody else doing their thing is some kind of wicked superspreader.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
This whole being on a beach thing doesn't appear to have caused any particular spread, and doesn't deserve the opprobrium that was heaped on it at the time.

Sorry but I think the dangerous parking, the taking a dump in peoples gardens, and the general lack of respect to local areas that was shown certainly does deserve heavy criticism.

DB

Sorry but I think the dangerous parking, the taking a dump in peoples gardens, and the general lack of respect to local areas that was shown certainly does deserve heavy criticism.

Different issue - sure, it' reasonable to criticise antisocial behaviour but that is separate from the question of whether it actually caused spreading.

Howardh

Established Member
When I get fed up of being locked down again (the third time this year, since March I think we in Bolton have only had 10 weeks of the "new normal") I think I'll be ignoring the "advice" not to travel "unless essential". The reason being is that this four-weeks won't work, and it will go on..and on...and on...rather than that 2/3 week shutdown that Starmer wants because Starmer wants it, Johnson will never do it, so we all suffer.

, the mayor of Greater Manchester, is launching legal action against the imposition of tier 3 restrictions on the hospitality sector in the region

Burnham's challenging the ruling on bars in court, on the grounds that there's no scienticic evidence the closures are justified. No idea where or when the case is, but I did read of this threat a couple of weeks ago.

Think he's on dodgy ground, but hope he wins!!

Last edited:

philjo

Established Member
BBC reporting that Slough, Stoke on Trent and Coventry Will move to tier 2 on Saturday.

DB

BBC reporting that Slough, Stoke on Trent and Coventry Will move to tier 2 on Saturday.

And so it continues - eventually it will be most of the country.

Are people in the areas already designated actually taking any notice of the rules any more?

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Down where I am, feels like the opening credits of Dad's Army, with the higher tiers slowly creeping closer and closer....

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Are people in the areas already designated actually taking any notice of the rules any more?

I was in London this morning and you wouldn't have thought it was "Tier 2". It was the busiest I've seen it for a long time - I suspect most people in London simply don't care any more. I even saw a BTP officer on the Underground with her face covering not covering her nose!

bramling

Veteran Member
Down where I am, feels like the opening credits of Dad's Army, with the higher tiers slowly creeping closer and closer....

Funny I was feeling exactly the same, not helped by some of the dot-matrix road signs displaying messages along the lines of “obey the rules or go into a higher tier”.

How dystopian!

To be honest my household has decided we’re not going to be obeying the rules henceforth, so apart from pubs being closed (we don’t really do pubs anyway) it’s essentially not going to have any effect on us as such. However it does bother me the economic legacy which this is accruing.

greyman42

Established Member
And so it continues - eventually it will be most of the country.

Regarding hospitality in tier 2 you have to because the establishments enforce them out of fear of being shut down/fined/lose of license.

STINT47

There is good news and bad news.

The good news is that there will be no national lockdown. The bad news is that every part of England will be placed under a local lockdown.

Rejoice for our futures.

MikeWM

Established Member

Let's look at Coventry on the map : https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map - looks like the problem is in 'Cannon Park and University'.

Where's the purple bit in Exeter? 'Pennsylvania and University'.

Brighton? 'Coldean and Mouslecoomb North' - exactly where the two universities are.

Cambridge? Central and West Cambridge, and Castle - where most Cambridge University students live.

Norwich? 'University and Avenues'.

Slough? Eton.

Pretty clear pattern here - lots of positive tests found in universities and schools with regular testing.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Let's look at Coventry on the map : https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map - looks like the problem is in 'Cannon Park and University'.

Brighton? 'Coldean and Mouslecoomb North' - exactly where the two universities are.

Cambridge? Central and West Cambridge, and Castle - where most Cambridge University students live.

Slough? Eton.

Pretty clear pattern here - lots of positive tests found in universities and schools with regular testing.

Definitely more Universities than schools. In Tuesday's briefing, Jonathan Van Tam's slides broken down by age showed a very, very much lower rate of infection for the 0-15 age braket across all regions.

MikeWM

Established Member
Definitely more Universities than schools. In Tuesday's briefing, Jonathan Van Tam's slides broken down by age showed a very, very much lower rate of infection for the 0-15 age braket across all regions.

Yes, which makes sense, as you're gathering from all over the country. Eton would satisfy that too, but most schools wouldn't.

(Tempting fate no doubt, but there don't seem to have been any specific problems with the King's School here in Ely, though while that gets students from a wide area, probably rather less so than Eton. At least no problems *yet*...)

Jimini

Established Member
Bit of light-hearted amusement for this thread..

Attachments

• 71E89409-65A1-4539-93EC-93E85921E73D.jpeg
    71E89409-65A1-4539-93EC-93E85921E73D.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 85

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

That could well be because they aren't being tested because they aren't getting symptoms, of course.

Bit of light-hearted amusement for this thread..

There's a student bar in Preston which appears to be complying with the letter but not the spirit of the law by selling platters of chicken wings and chips for £0.01. (They tried doing it free but the Council said the meal had to be paid for).

Non Multi

Slough? Eton.

Eton College is in the Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead. Slough has plenty of big secondary schools with sixth forms and Langley College of further education.

MikeWM

Established Member
Eton College is in the Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead. Slough has plenty of big secondary schools with sixth forms and Langley College of further education.

Suppose we'll have to see what they mean by 'Slough' and whether they just mean Slough or a wider area. The general pattern so far seems to be to put rather large areas into the higher tier even with localised issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.