• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British heritage lines which are returning to normal, post Covid-19 restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul1609

Established Member
Exactly. They are day-out experiences, mostly attended by families/groups by car. They are not public transport operations (though some of them can secondarily be used that way, though the timetables often make them not that useful for that purpose). Think of them as a museum that happens to include moving trains rather than just static exhibits.

Does that mean the VAT exemption should be reviewed? Possibly.

I bet the WHR/Ffestiniog's marketing of specific journey experiences is working fairly well for them, for example. The bus does a better job of linking Blaenau and Porthmadog if you want a public transport journey between them.
The VATexemption thing is a bit of a red herring, If heritage railways werent exempt as public transport a lot (most?) would qualify as cultural heritage museums for exemption. Even if you had to charge VAT on tickets the amount you could reclaim on costs would almost wipe out any tax advantage. Most railways make a loss on the actual train ride.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Luxton

Established Member
Many railways have adopted guidelines from the Heritage Railways Association, for consistency.
Yes but why didn't HRA press for heritage railways to be able to operate as per Network Rail - as they don't have rules. Surely there is no greater risk on one than the other? To be honest since all this started I have not been on an NR train but I gather they just put some seating areas out of use and let passengers board and alight. Though I know TfW decided to close some stations. There should have been more push back from the trade body in my opinion.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes but why didn't HRA press for heritage railways to be able to operate as per Network Rail - as they don't have rules. Surely there is no greater risk on one than the other?

The mainline provides essential public transport, whereas heritage railways provide discretionary leisure experiences. It is quite right that the latter should operate to stricter provisions, because it is not necessary, whereas the former is.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Yes but why didn't HRA press for heritage railways to be able to operate as per Network Rail - as they don't have rules. Surely there is no greater risk on one than the other? To be honest since all this started I have not been on an NR train but I gather they just put some seating areas out of use and let passengers board and alight. Though I know TfW decided to close some stations. There should have been more push back from the trade body in my opinion.

masks wearing has been mandatory on real trains, pre booking has been a requirement and seats have been out of use to facilitate, where possible, social distancing. This doesn't seem vastly different to what I experienced on my recent visits to heritage lines! I really don't see the issue you have with all this. It is a minor imposition, no different to the real world.

DB

masks wearing has been mandatory on real trains, pre booking has been a requirement and seats have been out of use to facilitate, where possible, social distancing. This doesn't seem vastly different to what I experienced on my recent visits to heritage lines! I really don't see the issue you have with all this. It is a minor imposition, no different to the real world.

Booking has only been required on a small number of operators, and only LNER have really pushed it. Seats out of use has also largely been theoretical - if enough people are on the train, the seats will get used. Northern and TPE have had very few seats taped off since last year.

And why is it that some people seem unable to accept that what they regard as a 'minor imposition' is well over a red line for other people? Including people who might tolerate it on trains they have to use to get to work, but would not tolerate it on a heritage line and would just not bother?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Booking has only been required on a small number of operators, and only LNER have really pushed it.

I have used them the most so based my views on that. I found it unproblematic for both leisure and business travel.

And why is it that some people seem unable to accept that what they regard as a 'minor imposition' is well over a red line for other people?
because there is a massive overreaction by some people to something minor and seem unable to see beyond thier own interests. You are being asked to book a particular train and perhaps wear a mask. That isn't an imposition in my book. It might be in yours.

if you cant meet the requirements for whatever reason don't visit these railways but don't complain when they aren't there when you get things the way you want them.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
The mainline provides essential public transport, whereas heritage railways provide discretionary leisure experiences. It is quite right that the latter should operate to stricter provisions, because it is not necessary, whereas the former is.
And it is worth saying that heritage lines were subject to scrutiny at the reopening stage from the relevant local authority (with some "postcode lottery" effects initially) AND random inspections thereafter. And the priority of the operators was and is to recover their lost income asap, and that may mean concentrating their activity.
And why is it that some people seem unable to accept that what they regard as a 'minor imposition' is well over a red line for other people? Including people who might tolerate it on trains they have to use to get to work, but would not tolerate it on a heritage line and would just not bother?
Many people seem to have tolerated (if not welcomed!) minor impositions on their leisure activity during restrictions - including many months when heritage lines could not operate at all.

But 19 July has passed, and the majority of heritage lines seem to be getting back to normal (bearing in mind that they have a duty of care to staff and volunteers as well as having customers who may well wish to/need to be more cautious).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Many people seem to have tolerated (if not welcomed!) minor impositions on their leisure activity during restrictions - including many months when heritage lines could not operate at all.

But 19 July has passed, and the majority of heritage lines seem to be getting back to normal (bearing in mind that they have a duty of care to staff and volunteers as well as having customers who may well wish to/need to be more cautious).

Absolutely - and that is why I get grumpy about, in my opinion, overreactions to minor impositions because these lines need the money and if we don't visit they will vanish. Like many businesses they cant carry another year without income.

DB

because there is a massive overreaction by some people to something minor and seem unable to see beyond thier own interests. You are being asked to book a particular train and perhaps wear a mask. That isn't an imposition in my book. It might be in yours.

And I disagree with you. But I'm not asking you to agree with my point - if you are happy to wear a mask and follow a rigid schedule, that's your decison. What I am asking is that you accept that some people do find these things a sufficient imposition that they just won't bother if those rules are in place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
My biggest block to using a heritage line is that I would be visiting solo. So I'd have to pay more to go, and it's a reason why I didn't book to travel on the Wallingford line after all. I'm not paying £24 for the privilege of riding a short line!

The face covering wearing, no issue with that. Distancing, no issue with that either, indeed I still actively encourage both at work even though we don't technically need to wear masks now, or distance from each other. Let's not go there though, I've got multiple opinions on face coverings, distancing and regular hand sanitising, I'd rather not drag this thread off-topic.

Mr Darlo makes a fine point, in that heritage railways need support of enthusiasts. Absolutely no question of that at all, no sensible person can surely disagree. I shall be avoiding travelling on lines that insist solo visitors book all 4 table seats or whatever though. Understandable why it's happening, don't get me wrong, and I fully support such a distancing rule. It's just a shame it doesn't work for me!

I do want to return to the Severn Valley Railway for a visit, and I haven't yet looked at what they're doing. A single journey from the Kidderminster end to Bridgnorth is all I want, or possibly the other way around, as I'd be arriving by bike. As well as continuing my journey from the other end by bike. The idea of my visit would be to combine both my love of cycling and of railways.

If the SVR can accommodate such a travel desire, then I'll certainly happily put some money into their accounts. I haven't looked at their website yet though, so I'm not sure if they're only open to families for now.

EDIT: Looking at The Pioneer at least, I'd have to book space for two. £50 is a bit too far out of my budget! I'd probably spend that on the whole day, including travel to/from the SVR, refreshments etc but not just the SVR.

So for now, I'll probably not be the only one waiting longer to have a heritage ride. It is what it is eh?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I shall be avoiding travelling on lines that insist solo visitors book all 4 table seats or whatever though. Understandable why it's happening, don't get me wrong, and I fully support such a distancing rule. It's just a shame it doesn't work for me!

Our recent visit to the Avon valley railway was helpful here. Their system made you block book a table or compartment ( social distancing) BUT allowed you to select "not required" for seats you didn't need. The booking system did allow single bookings but required you take a up a full bay. They did provide some 2+2 seating to accommodate this.

I think it is about making the best of it.

If the SVR can accommodate such a travel desire, then I'll certainly happily put some money into their accounts. I haven't looked at their website yet though, so I'm not sure if they're only open to families for now.

Give them a call. Worst case they say no. I doubt they will.

Last edited:

Djgr

Established Member
My biggest block to using a heritage line is that I would be visiting solo. So I'd have to pay more to go, and it's a reason why I didn't book to travel on the Wallingford line after all. I'm not paying £24 for the privilege of riding a short line!

The face covering wearing, no issue with that. Distancing, no issue with that either, indeed I still actively encourage both at work even though we don't technically need to wear masks now, or distance from each other. Let's not go there though, I've got multiple opinions on face coverings, distancing and regular hand sanitising, I'd rather not drag this thread off-topic.

Mr Darlo makes a fine point, in that heritage railways need support of enthusiasts. Absolutely no question of that at all, no sensible person can surely disagree. I shall be avoiding travelling on lines that insist solo visitors book all 4 table seats or whatever though. Understandable why it's happening, don't get me wrong, and I fully support such a distancing rule. It's just a shame it doesn't work for me!

I do want to return to the Severn Valley Railway for a visit, and I haven't yet looked at what they're doing. A single journey from the Kidderminster end to Bridgnorth is all I want, or possibly the other way around, as I'd be arriving by bike. As well as continuing my journey from the other end by bike. The idea of my visit would be to combine both my love of cycling and of railways.

EDIT: Looking at The Pioneer at least, I'd have to book space for two. £50 is a bit too far out of my budget! I'd probably spend that on the whole day, including travel to/from the SVR, refreshments etc but not just the SVR.

So for now, I'll probably not be the only one waiting longer to have a heritage ride. It is what it is eh?
Yes, solo travellers are being asked to fork out £40 plus on some lines (e.g. a compartment is the same price whether for 1 or 6).
Count me out.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Our recent visit to the Avon valley railway was helpful here. Their system made you block book a table or compartment ( social distancing) BUT allowed you to select "not required" for seats you didn't need. The booking system did allow single bookings but required you take a up a full bay. They did provide some 2+2 seating to accommodate this.

I think it is about making the best of it.

Give them a call. Worst case they say no. I doubt they will.

I will be down that way next month, for the diverts in Bristol, so I may well pop by. I've never done the AVR, despite once upon a time living in Wiltshire, so I might make a beeline for it. Certainly worth investigating.

Yes, solo travellers are being asked to fork out £40 plus on some lines (e.g. a compartment is the same price whether for 1 or 6).
Count me out.

I must add that I like the idea of a compartment to myself, but not the rather high cost involved. Some lines aren't cheap anyway, ones like the line up Snowdonia (I'd imagine the views up there currently must be amazing in this good weather) are normally really expensive but in these times, I dread to think...

kje7812

There are some limited single traveller tickets available for £25 (mainly on the Adventurer, but possibly on the other services). There are discussions ongoing about changes to the service.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
There are some limited single traveller tickets available for £25 (mainly on the Adventurer, but possibly on the other services). There are discussions ongoing about changes to the service.

Fair enough, I think I may well just wait a while. Rumours of another lockdown are rumbling quite a bit at work, so I'm not planning too carefully yet, certainly not beyond a handful of days in advance anyway!

kje7812

Fair enough, I think I may well just wait a while. Rumours of another lockdown are rumbling quite a bit at work, so I'm not planning too carefully yet, certainly not beyond a handful of days in advance anyway!
That's fair. I too am waiting for things, in general, to settle down before visiting other lines.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you want to travel on a puffer you follow the rules of the provider or don't go.
Exactly, which is why this thread was set up: so people can find out what to expect.

These railways need your support. Go, even if you have to follow what in your view are silly rules.
Some of us don't have either unlimited time, or unlimited money, and therefore we wish to make an informed choice.

For some, it's important to learn what rules are mandated and what choices we have. It's also good to hear others experiences too.

WestRiding

And I disagree with you. But I'm not asking you to agree with my point - if you are happy to wear a mask and follow a rigid schedule, that's your decison. What I am asking is that you accept that some people do find these things a sufficient imposition that they just won't bother if those rules are in place.
That's the category I fall into. Not going to go to one that requires pre booking, a little hitler barking ruless, no use of intermediate stations where there might be a good pub for example. I don't just want to sit on a train and go home, I want a flexible day out for the money I pay. Some lines are signing their own demise keeping the restrictions in place to be nothing else but touchy feely, when there is no longer any need to carry on the pantomime. Of course, people will disagree with me (but I am not asking for agreement). People will say, but its hard for these railways, and yes it has been. But carrying on the restrictions unnecessarily when they do not have to, do I have any sympathy if they struggle from now on, no. Not really. Because they do not have to carry on like this as of 19th July. I'm looking at you Ravenglass, RH&DR, and Crich.

superjohn

The Mid Norfolk Railway has come up with the idea of a specific mask wearing carriage. That seems to make sense as those who choose to wear a mask are likely to be more comfortable travelling among others doing the same, a bit like the quiet carriage. The rest of the train is personal choice.

All good but I suspect the peculiarly British obsession with ’not being told what to do’* will soon enough turn up a passenger demanding to exercise their ‘right’ to travel in that carriage without a mask.

* See also: ”it’s a free country”, “there ain’t no law against it”, ”you can‘t stop me, that’s assault“ etc, etc…

Last edited:

Dai Corner

Established Member
The Dean Forest Railway are accommodating passengers arriving by train by special arrangement. Lydney Jn is the nearest DFR station to Lydney NR.

Please note that we are currently running all trips from Norchard Station – if you had wanted to arrive by train and board at Lydney Junction please get in contact with us before booking.
They're also offering Rover tickets for those who like to station-hop with some coaches reserved for them and others for round-trippers.

Minimum party size is 2 on the DMU but solo travellers can apparently pay one fare and get a table (four seats) to themselves on hauled trains.

Last edited:

paul1609

Established Member
That's the category I fall into. Not going to go to one that requires pre booking, a little hitler barking ruless, no use of intermediate stations where there might be a good pub for example. I don't just want to sit on a train and go home, I want a flexible day out for the money I pay. Some lines are signing their own demise keeping the restrictions in place to be nothing else but touchy feely, when there is no longer any need to carry on the pantomime. Of course, people will disagree with me (but I am not asking for agreement). People will say, but its hard for these railways, and yes it has been. But carrying on the restrictions unnecessarily when they do not have to, do I have any sympathy if they struggle from now on, no. Not really. Because they do not have to carry on like this as of 19th July. I'm looking at you Ravenglass, RH&DR, and Crich.
I can understand why the RHDR are sticking with pre-booking. They are sold out even on days when the weather is not so good. With the recent hot weather the coast area is absolutely saturated with staycationers and dayttrippers from London. Last saturday there was a 3 mile queue to get in to the full car parks at Camber Sands and the now 4 car trains on the Marshlink line were having to leave passengers at Ashford who couldnt squeeze on. If the RHDR was operating a normal service theyd be in danger of being swamped.

bramling

Veteran Member
Such wibble. If you want to travel on a puffer you follow the rules of the provider or don't go. These railways need your support. Go, even if you have to follow what in your view are silly rules. If you dont go now they wont be there for you when you do want to go.

We have been on two very different preserved railways recently: NYMR and Avon Valley.

Both ran very similar arrangements: You book specific seats on specific trains and travel the length of the line. You wear a face mask when moving around inside or on the train but not at your seat. I kept mine on whilst on the platform as it was easier. Catering was available on the trains, shops and cafes were open. The toilets on and off the train were open. Both railways offered a choice of compartments or tables. It was quite easy, relaxing and enjoyable. Both trains we went on were well loaded but the NYMR services were less busy than I would expect ( although it was a wet day)

The NYMR actually ran two trains. A Pickering > Whitby "express" that didn't obviously pick up at intermediate stations and a "local" Pickering > Grosmont that did

Were there some additional rules? Yes. Could you run around as if you own the place? No. It was slightly different to "normal" but not inconveniently so. It is a bit of PITA to book in advance but it is hardly hard. if you cant cope with that the modern world will be hard work. We had a nice day out and hardly noticed the covid rules. You could even stick your head out of the train!

BTW: I am an English Heritage member, I didn't know they ran trains ;)

I can concur with this as a short-term thing, but I really don’t want heritage railways to go like this forever.

We had an “experience” day on the Severn Valley Railway - you “buy” a compartment for the day and can jump on and off as much as desired. One would think this would be wonderful, but it wasn’t - a group of drunks banging around in one adjacent compartment, and a screaming baby on the other side, whilst only getting the view of one side of this scenic railway. Normally it would have been a simple matter of changing compartment, but naturally this wasn’t an option. I’d say that sort of thing would be quite a spoiler, even for the target groups we’re talking about, as opposed to enthusiasts.

I’m not sure it’s possible to Square all this up on such a way which maximises revenue - remember that many of the trips being sold over the last year are at massive cost. We were looking at doing one heritage railway in the north-east this week, and to get two trips would have cost £110 altogether. I’m not a tight person, but that’s taking the pee by any measure. It’s only financially viable for railways to operate like this by charging high prices, people might pay them this year due to the Covid situation, but I’m not sure it’s viable in the long term.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I can concur with this as a short-term thing, but I really don’t want heritage railways to go like this forever.
It isn't going to be though is it? I don't want them to go on long term like this. I am simply prepared to make the best of it and rationally accept the limitations imposed by COVID. Others on this thread clearly aren't.
We were looking at doing one heritage railway in the north-east this week, and to get two trips would have cost £110 altogether. I’m not a tight person, but that’s taking the pee by any measure. It’s only financially viable for railways to operate like this by charging high prices, people might pay them this year due to the Covid situation, but I’m not sure it’s viable in the long term.
NYMR, for 2 x adult returns from Pickering to Whitby, was just shy of £90. That isn't COVID related. Last time we went a couple of years ago it was c£80 for that journey. it is steep but the boss wanted to go so go we did! ( she wasn't best pleased when the 25 came on at Grosmont!)

fireftrm

It isn't going to be though is it? I don't want them to go on long term like this. I am simply prepared to make the best of it and rationally accept the limitations imposed by COVID. Others on this thread clearly aren't.

NYMR, for 2 x adult returns from Pickering to Whitby, was just shy of £90. That isn't COVID related. Last time we went a couple of years ago it was c£80 for that journey.
Perfect post

bramling

Veteran Member

NYMR for 2 x adult returns from Pickering to Whitby was just shy of £90. That isn't COVID related. Last time we went a couple of years ago it was c£80 for that journey.

I agree we need to make the best of a bad job at the moment, but I don’t think we should be talking as though this should become the new normal.

I can get £90 for a round trip on the NYMR (presumably that would have been a day rover rather than simple return?), however the railway we were planning on visiting is quite a bit shorter. £110 for a few miles travelling is excessive, and to add to it they seem to want masks worn the whole time while on site.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I agree we need to make the best of a bad job at the moment, but I don’t think we should be talking as though this should become the new normal.
I agree 100% This is not normal nor should it be.

I can get £90 for a round trip on the NYMR (presumably that would have been a day rover rather than simple return?),
In these circumstances that is a booked seat on a train from Pickering and a return from Whitby. It allowed us a full afternoon in Whitby in the pouring rain! We could have made a day of it by booking the early train but we wanted a late start ;)

Our previous trip was a rover ticket but we only used it as return so we had a full day in Whitby. It is a great journey and worth the money but was limited due to COVID.

WestRiding

NYMR, for 2 x adult returns from Pickering to Whitby, was just shy of £90. That isn't COVID related. Last time we went a couple of years ago it was c£80 for that journey. it is steep but the boss wanted to go so go we did! ( she wasn't best pleased when the 25 came on at Grosmont!)
90 quid for two!? I shall treasure my Priv card even more from now on.

steamybrian

Established Member
It would appear that from July 19th the Bluebell Railway are running "normally" with all stations open and walk up tickets available. Can someone confirm..!

12C

Just back from an excellent day out to the KWVR today, and would thoroughly recommend. Completely back to ‘normal’ normal with all stations open, tickets bought on the day, no silly mask requirements and most importantly the real ale buffet car open. For anyone worried about Covid the train included a suburban compartment coach but for me to be sat with a pint in the buffet with a great atmosphere as we steamed out of Keighley it was almost like the past 18 months had been a bad dream. If any volunteers are on here a huge well done to all involved and we look forward to returning very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.