• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Entire 800/801/802 fleet stood down for safety checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

D365

Veteran Member
Which may explain why some South Pennine services are back down to single units. Not currently a problem as loadings remain light.
Ah, that explains the ”shorter than usual” message at Sheffield station PIS.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
Press release from the ORR, a "lessons learned" review is to take place.

The Office of Rail and Road is undertaking a review to understand the lessons the industry can learn from the discovery of cracks on Hitachi Class 800 and 385 series trains.

The review will cover both safety and passenger impacts.

ORR’s safety review will work with Hitachi Rail and all relevant parties to find the root cause of cracks in the jacking plate and on the mount for the yaw damper bracket. It will examine industry processes relating to the assessment of safety risk, as well as the withdrawal and return of trains to service.

This part of the review will look in-depth at technical areas including design, manufacture and maintenance; process issues such as how all parties worked together; and responsibilities for inspection, maintenance, repair and remedial action, and how these could be improved.

ORR will also work closely with train operating companies – Great Western Railway, London North Eastern Railway, TransPennine Express and Hull Trains – and other industry bodies to review whether the relevant travel information to passengers was consistent, both over the weekend of 8 May but also in the following week.

The regulator will check the correct ticket refunds information was provided, and accepted by operators, as well as making sure the right steps were taken to contact passengers who had booked assistance to travel, and that alternative arrangements were offered.

ORR will publish its report on the passenger impacts by 25 June and produce an initial report in September covering the history, withdrawal and reintroduction of the rolling stock. A final report will follow when the long-term rectification programme has been established.

superkev

Established Member
Press release from the ORR, a "lessons learned" review is to take place.
I didn't know the 385 fleet was affected too.
And, what about the other Hitachi class 395s.
K

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
GWR are running a few 3Zxx services at present, and the intention I believe is to use it as a monitoring train with a variety of sensors and the like. Seems Hitachi want to challenge Network Rail as to track condition being a reason for the cracks. I find that highly unlikely when LNER on a completely different route has suffered this issue...

Nottingham59

Established Member
track condition being a reason for the cracks
I think that's entirely likely, in my opinion. In posts upthread it was mentioned that the Hitachi bogie design was based on their experience of running trains on HS1, which does not, in general, carry freight. (I can't find the post just now: it might be in the yaw damper discussion.)

Here in the Midlands, the majority of freight trains I hear going past me have a major wheel flat on at least one wagon.

I would be amazed if the quality of the track on the ECML or the GWML was anywhere near as good as whatever was in the specification written by DfT for the original IET procurement.

GWR are running a few 3Zxx services at present, and the intention I believe is to use it as a monitoring train with a variety of sensors and the like. Seems Hitachi want to challenge Network Rail as to track condition being a reason for the cracks. I find that highly unlikely when LNER on a completely different route has suffered this issue...

Odd how a path has been found for that line.
When are the results of the testing meant to be available, if anyone knows?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Odd how a path has been found for that line.
When are the results of the testing meant to be available, if anyone knows?

I imagine it will be kept reasonably private within Hitachi / DfT or possibly the ORR may release a report.

rebmcr

Established Member
I think that's entirely likely, in my opinion. In posts upthread it was mentioned that the Hitachi bogie design was based on their experience of running trains on HS1, which does not, in general, carry freight. (I can't find the post just now: it might be in the yaw damper discussion.)
HS1 carries a great deal of freight. There is an enormous yard just for it at Dollands Moor.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
HS1 carries a great deal of freight. There is an enormous yard just for it at Dollands Moor.

I wouldn’t say ‘a great deal’. The yard at Dollands Moor was built for freight through the tunnel, and opened in 1994. Almost everything to/from Dollands Moor uses the classic line via Ashford and Maidstone / Tonbridge, not HS1.

HST274

Interesting to see that diagram did run but the later ones didn't. Perhaps these two made the later unnecessary because they were a 'backup'.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Interesting to see that diagram did run but the later ones didn't. Perhaps these two made the later unnecessary because they were a 'backup'.

I think it was ironically an unrelated fault actually!

Status
Not open for further replies.