• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ENTIRE LLANGOLLEN DIESEL FLEET UP FOR SALE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galvanize

Quote:
Llangollen Diesels...
It has been advised that 20142 25313 37240 46010 and 47449, from the Llangollen Diesel fleet, are being put up for sale to any genuine interested parties with a deadline for registering an interest set for July 31st. Contact should be made via the Llangollen Diesel Group website.

Must be due to a fall out with the management at the railway :(
37901......must be staying at the Severn Valley, or something.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phoenix

Established Member
Quote:
Llangollen Diesels...
It has been advised that 20142 25313 37240 46010 and 47449, from the Llangollen Diesel fleet, are being put up for sale to any genuine interested parties with a deadline for registering an interest set for July 31st. Contact should be made via the Llangollen Diesel Group website.

Must be due to a fall out with the management at the railway :(

God to be honest this is terrible.
Scary that even in preservation locos are not safe.
Oh well most will be safe.

me123

Established Member
If only I had a full scale railway in my garden and a couple of thousand pounds... :lol:

kestrel

37901 is privately owned but was rebuilt with help from the diesel group.

looks like a change of management and a change of heart there, sad day!

Established Member

According to someone I know it is not going back there, it's moving to the Lancs for there gala in June/July, don't know after that though although could stay there as one of the owners other locos should be going there.

Hope 37240 gets a good home, it's a beast!

EDIT: From Preserved-Diesels forum:

Just to clarify matters a little and to reduce some of the ongoing speculation. The Llangollen Diesel group is looking to reduce its fleet, mainly due to the fact that its members have less time available to spend on the locos due to family and work commitments. Whilst all locos are potentially for sale, it is expected that not all will be sold as we wish to maintain a small fleet at the railway Once all expressions of interest have been evaluated then decisions will be made on what is disposed of.

Last edited by a moderator:

Galvanize

According to someone I know it is not going back there, it's moving to the Lancs for there gala in June/July, don't know after that though although could stay there as one of the owners other locos should be going there.

Hope 37240 gets a good home, it's a beast!

EDIT: From Preserved-Diesels forum:

Just to clarify matters a little and to reduce some of the ongoing speculation. The Llangollen Diesel group is looking to reduce its fleet, mainly due to the fact that its members have less time available to spend on the locos due to family and work commitments. Whilst all locos are potentially for sale, it is expected that not all will be sold as we wish to maintain a small fleet at the railway Once all expressions of interest have been evaluated then decisions will be made on what is disposed of.

So maybe 240 will be staying if that's the case, and maybe 46010 simply because it is difficult to move due to its enormous bulk :lol:

There has been some interest in D8142 though!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Never expected to read that news...

Hope 37240 stays safe wherever it goes, an absolute monster and easily the most rateable 37 still running.

Galvanize

to qoute bolton47831 on wnxx
I would think the LDG will have the future welfare of the Locos in mind when deciding their future. I would be surprised if they disposed to a scrapman.

To speculate a little, each Loco has its merits to stay and to be sold

20142 has had long association with the railway and appears to be in good condition. Probably will be interest in this one.

25313 has had a long association with the railway and fits in with the history of this part of the world. Equally this little beast will require more TLC than others so could be a candidate for disposal.

46010 is in need of a lot of body work repairs and my money would be on this one leaving.

37240 appears to be in excellant condition and also fits in with the history of this part of the world. On the other hand I can see there being a lot of interest in this one.

47449 also appears to be in excellant condition and has the added bonus of being the only Diesel here to provide Heat for winter running.
Being a SP machine cannot see much interest from Main Line operators for this.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Only ever saw 37109 working once on a railtour back in spring 2004. Can't remember how hellfire it was. But yeah, not had 37109. Want to one day.

37240 remains as one of THE best 37s left in the UK though.

Ta for posting that update Galvanise, agreed with the gentleman re: 46010.

EE Type 3

Established Member
There not taking 240, if I have anything to say <D

My money is on the 20 and possibly the 47 leaving. Mr Needle could be interested in the 20, we shall have to wait and see :)

Established Member
As i did NOT win the lottery tonight, I shall not be having anything to say so shall have to see what happens and hope Llangollen is still able to put on galas with enough to lure me in the future.

Could have a cheeky punt on Saturdays lottery I suppose !

Techniquest

Veteran Member

My money is on the 20 and possibly the 47 leaving. Mr Needle could be interested in the 20, we shall have to wait and see :)

37240 is, in my eyes, the biggest draw to their diesel galas. Doubt I'd have ever gone there if it weren't for that monster.

I'd put money on the 37 and 47 staying, with perhaps the 20 finding a new home in the East Midlands. The 46 would be straight to the scrappie. Bear in mind this is pure enthusiast speculation based on what I like and don't like.

Established Member
37240 is, in my eyes, the biggest draw to their diesel galas. Doubt I'd have ever gone there if it weren't for that monster.

I'd put money on the 37 and 47 staying

Could be a good guess, they do seem to be the most well used on the running days and a Thomas days.

The 46 would be straight to the scrappie. Bear in mind this is pure enthusiast speculation based on what I like and don't like.

Dunno how you worked that put, how often is it the chance to buy a 46, which is not far off working condition comes up? It also seems due to its weight it will be a problem to get it out of Llangollen so could be another one on the staying list.

EE Type 3

Established Member
Could be a good guess, they do seem to be the most well used on the running days and a Thomas days.

Dunno how you worked that put, how often is it the chance to buy a 46, which is not far off working condition comes up? It also seems due to its weight it will be a problem to get it out of Llangollen so could be another one on the staying list.

The 46 is a runner. It's just bodywork which poses a problem. I'd have my money on it staying.

Established Member
I've been informed by someone (reliable) that they are only getting rid of two.

Galvanize

I've been informed by someone (reliable) that they are only getting rid of two.

OK, i kind of agree with Julian, that 37240 might be staying put after all, 47449 because it has ETH, and 25313 because the class fit in with the history of the line.

D8142 might go, and the 46 would go as it is not often an operational peak comes on the market now is it!

EE Type 3

Established Member
OK, i kind of agree with Julian, that 37240 might be staying put after all, 47449 because it has ETH, and 25313 because the class fit in with the history of the line.

D8142 might go, and the 46 would go as it is not often an operational peak comes on the market now is it!

I'd go with that as my guess too Josh.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Interesting, I was right about the 46 and 20 leaving, although I'd have been there with HNRC/TJT volunteering to cut the 46 on the spot without charge! <D

Shame that the upcoming gala has been cancelled...

D107

It's worthwhile remembering that part of the reason for the sale (and the gala cancellation) is the lack of volunteer members. The general decline is not just confined to Llangollen and is a timely reminder that these machines only run due to the herculean efforts of a relatively small number of members.

Why not consider getting involved with diesel preservation, you might enjoy it!

You also might learn lots of new swear words......I have!

Status
Not open for further replies.