• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

European Class 66's to UK

valentaman

There will be quite a bit of work to do at Longport before it goes elsewhere, particularly fitting U.K. spec kit (headlights, AWS/TPWS, etc).

I’ve not seen anything giving the previous number of 66797 yet - anyone with that gen, it would be much appreciated by many, I suspect.
PB 513-09 266 036 latterly with HSL working between Germany and Holland

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
There will be quite a bit of work to do at Longport before it goes elsewhere, particularly fitting U.K. spec kit (headlights, AWS/TPWS, etc).

I’ve not seen anything giving the previous number of 66797 yet - anyone with that gen, it would be much appreciated by many, I suspect.

That's true, I had wondered if it had received any work while abroad to reduce the load on Longport but possibly not.

Anyway, Here is it's original identity: PB 513-09 / 266 036 - Vintage 2004 and of the same age as 66743-746.

themiller

Do the 66s have builder’s plates like European built locos and if so where are they fitted? Thanks in advance if anyone can answer.

Bob figgis

Does anybody know why the movement of this loco ran as a class 6 freight and not as a class 0 for a light engine movement?

ExRes

Established Member
Does anybody know why the movement of this loco ran as a class 6 freight and not as a class 0 for a light engine movement?

My guess would be that it's because 797 has not yet been converted for use in the UK, it's therefore a load rather than a loco, I could be completely wrong of course .....

fgwrich

Established Member
That's true, I had wondered if it had received any work while abroad to reduce the load on Longport but possibly not.

Anyway, Here is it's original identity: PB 513-09 / 266 036 - Vintage 2004 and of the same age as 66743-746.

Interestingly, from further reading on the Mainline Diesels website, it looks like this batch may be fitted with ECTS already - I wonder if this will be suitable for UK use and therefore the first in their class?

Last edited:

soccermad

I have details of 66795 and 66796 will post them in a bit

Coming over in the next few weeks

These two locos are 561-05 and 561-03

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member
I have details of 66795 and 66796 will post them in a bit

Coming over in the next few weeks

These two locos are 561-03 and 561-05

Reported on WNXX (subscription section) today that 561-05 is due at Immingham tomorrow, 561-05 will become 66795 and is currently operating in G&W orange livery

fgwrich

Established Member
Reported on WNXX (subscription section) today that 561-05 is due at Immingham tomorrow, 561-05 will become 66795 and is currently operating in G&W orange livery

Indeed it is;

Has to be an unusual case where the loco is owned by Beacon, operating in Europe in a rivals livery, about to come over here to work for another rival (as in GBRF).

ExRes

Established Member
Hidden by the coverage of 69001, another movement from Longport yesterday was 66794 being hauled to Doncaster Roberts Road

squizzler

Established Member
What is the demand pattern driving the repatriation of these locos? I understand goods traffic is flowing more freely than before due to fewer passenger services, this would suggest the same number of locos could do more than previously. In conjugation with the new class 69, does this indicate a step change in goods traffic on the railway after brexit?

palmersears

Established Member
GBRf clearly feel there is the potential business available to warrant an expanison of their fleet. I would imagine HS2 construction will generate a good deal of new opportunities for all the FOCs, having locos ready to go to meet the new demand will be an advantage I imagine.

Locma51

Do the 66s have builder’s plates like European built locos and if so where are they fitted? Thanks in advance if anyone can answer.
EMD 66's have their build number stamped into the frame on the lower edge of the body under the cab, at one end and either side.
After several coats for paint you need to get quite 'close and personnel' to read some of them!
The number is an eight digit batch number followed by 01, 02 etc, which is where the abbreviated number [eg. 513-09 =66797] comes from.
Full info for each loco can be found on MainlinDiesels.net web data. Some of the European 66's have had several owners and many operators with conflicting running numbers,
so build no. and UIC are the best way to id certain locos

On Moderation
What is the demand pattern driving the repatriation of these locos? I understand goods traffic is flowing more freely than before due to fewer passenger services, this would suggest the same number of locos could do more than previously. In conjugation with the new class 69, does this indicate a step change in goods traffic on the railway after brexit?
Technically those coming over for GBRf are not being repatriated, as they haven’t been here before.
;)

themiller

EMD 66's have their build number stamped into the frame on the lower edge of the body under the cab, at one end and either side.
After several coats for paint you need to get quite 'close and personnel' to read some of them!
The number is an eight digit batch number followed by 01, 02 etc, which is where the abbreviated number [eg. 513-09 =66797] comes from.
Full info for each loco can be found on MainlinDiesels.net web data. Some of the European 66's have had several owners and many operators with conflicting running numbers,
so build no. and UIC are the best way to id certain locos
Thanks for that, Locma51. I’ve asked drivers and maintainers in the past without receiving a definitive answer.

Class 170101

Established Member
I guess the Europeans have no use for them or do they just build bigger locomotives?

GB

Established Member

It could be as simple as just taking work/contracts off another operator. More locos doesn't necessarily mean more new to rail work.

TRAX

Established Member
I guess the Europeans have no use for them or do they just build bigger locomotives?

Mainland Europe renews its locomotive fleet much more often than the UK. At the moment there is quite the influx of EuroDuals for example.