• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar routes from Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin1501

I was always under the impression that Eurostar workings could only use the Windsor reversible line between Waterloo and the Linford Street curve, meaning that up and down services could not operate simultaneously over this stretch. However, I read somewhere recently that they could also use the up Windsor and the down Windsor fast, though not the down Windsor slow. Can anyone confirm if this was the case, and if so, were these other lines regularly used, or was the Windsor reversible the 'default?

Grateful for any info.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Yes, Eurostar could also use the Up Windsor line, and the Down Windsor Fast line.

I'm sure I recall being routed on these lines on my first Eurostar trip in 2004.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Standard route before CTRL was:
Linford Street-Brixton-Herne Hill-Bromley South-Orpington-Tonbridge-Ashford

However, some trains ran via Maidstone East rather than Orpington/Tonbridge.

Also, occasionally trains diverted via Catford or via Bat & Ball.

Veteran Member
Standard route before CTRL was:
Linford Street-Brixton-Herne Hill-Bromley South-Orpington-Tonbridge-Ashford

However, some trains ran via Maidstone East rather than Orpington/Tonbridge.

Also, occasionally trains diverted via Catford or via Bat & Ball.
Catford Loop (and Bat and Ball?) was regularly timetabled, Maidstone East AFAIK only for diversions. Recent thread here:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/how-often-were-eurostars-routed-over-the-catford-loop.210781/

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
I wish I was around more to see the empty stock Eurostar workings roar slowly over the small bridges in Battersea on their way to North Pole-some of those houses are so close to the railway it makes me wonder how much of a nuisance it must have been living next to a Eurostar route!

Hophead

Established Member
Bat & Ball route was scheduled for one evening peak train ex-London.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I wish I was around more to see the empty stock Eurostar workings roar slowly over the small bridges in Battersea on their way to North Pole-some of those houses are so close to the railway it makes me wonder how much of a nuisance it must have been living next to a Eurostar route!

Can't have been any more annoying that freight trains that still go on these routes?

Veteran Member
Can't have been any more annoying that freight trains that still go on these routes?
Don't know about freights, but the 373s still announced their passing with a roar, in a way that SR emus didn't.

S-Car-Go

Very loud blowers on 373 power cars. Sounds like a giant hoover. As an employee, I got invited to the cab by a kind train manager. Walking through the loco, at speed, in a tunnel. Now that is LOUD. With 140mph hurricane coming through the side vents :lol:

MotCO

Established Member
Why was the depot located at North Pole? Was it the only available site? Was it chosen with a terminal relocation to St Pancras in mind, and access available to and from St Pancras?

S-Car-Go

Why was the depot located at North Pole? Was it the only available site? Was it chosen with a terminal relocation to St Pancras in mind, and access available to and from St Pancras?
North Pole was chosen because it was a derelict site, built near what was the North Pole pub. It was accessible from both Waterloo and St Pancras (initially Kings Cross was to be the terminus) via the North London Line. There was a time when they weren't sure if Waterloo International would close or if both terminii would continue to operate.

Just think, if Temple Mills depot hadn't been built, the Overground would never have been able to run a high frequency service on the NLL.

Gloster

Established Member
North Pole was chosen because it was a derelict site, built near what was the North Pole pub. It was accessible from both Waterloo and St Pancras (initially Kings Cross was to be the terminus) via the North London Line. There was a time when they weren't sure if Waterloo International would close or if both terminii would continue to operate.
The name North Pole probably came from North Pole Junction, which was where the line connecting the West London Line and the GWR left the former. It took its name from a nearby road which, in turn, was named after a nearby pub. I remember it as one of the barest signal boxes I have ever been in.

S-Car-Go

The name North Pole probably came from North Pole Junction, which was where the line connecting the West London Line and the GWR left the former. It took its name from a nearby road which, in turn, was named after a nearby pub. I remember it as one of the barest signal boxes I have ever been in.
I stand corrected ;)
When I used to do a bit of volunteering up at the NRM in York, I used to tell the youngest kids that if they looked very carefully, they'd see a little plaque on the side of the Eurostar power car that says where it was based, 'North Pole'.
So they would jump to the natural conclusion that it was Santa's very own toy train/personal transport. Well, how else does he get about so fast when the reindeer are at the vets? :lol:

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Very loud blowers on 373 power cars. Sounds like a giant hoover. As an employee, I got invited to the cab by a kind train manager. Walking through the loco, at speed, in a tunnel. Now that is LOUD. With 140mph hurricane coming through the side vents :lol:

God that must have been insane, I've been trying to find a video of what it's like to stand in the power car turned on.

Yes that noise was incredible, I only remember seeing 373s from afar, like from down the high-street. But I do remember once when I was a child standing at Hampstead Heath station and a GNER Eurostar came through from North Pole up to Bounds Green. The noise was overwhelming, I can remember the feeling of it seeming to vibrate in my stomach, will never forget that.

I also remember the North Pole label, and my dad being disgusted in Christmas 1998 that the Hornby model he gave me was a Le Landy "French" set and not a British set.

As for the depot-North Pole was was chosen back in the 70s for the original tunnel proposal, when the intended terminus would have been at White City. Closure of North Pole I think was only decided about 15 years ago. Up until 2004, Waterloo was still intended to be used by Eurostar along with St. Pancras-how I wish it was, the 373 will always be a Southern Region EMU to me!

What fantastic machines they are, I bite my thumb at the 374s

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Not a bad wee pub either. I used to live in Kensal Rise so it wasn't far. I also used to live near Herne Hill; used to love the sight of the Eurostars but it also used to frustrate me that it was such a lame service this side of the tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.