• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

DB

Is it confirmed yet which 67s are definitely being used by TfW? As I understand it they need modifications (extra socket on the front), so can't just be pulled from the general pool as was the case with the Mk3 sets (provided they had the fire system modification, which most did).

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hobbm013

Photo in the Railways of South Wales Facebook group shows DB Liveried 67015 on the Mk4 set stabled at Canton.

It appears to have had the modifications (extra socket) to work with the stock. I wonder whether this will be next to gain TfW livery?

hobbm013

Is it confirmed yet which 67s are definitely being used by TfW? As I understand it they need modifications (extra socket on the front), so can't just be pulled from the general pool as was the case with the Mk3 sets (provided they had the fire system modification, which most did).

Thanks

67014, 67017 and 67025 are all in TfW Livery and have received the necessary modifications.

As mentioned in my post above, 67015 also appears to have received the mods, it’s still in DB red at the moment. Unsure as to whether it will be repainted or just remain in the general pool but able to assist in case of failures or exams

DB

It's AAR. The extrra socket is for interlock or TMS I believe.

So that's five locos. Probably one or two more, then?

hobbm013

It's AAR. The extrra socket is for interlock or TMS I believe.

So that's five locos. Probably one or two more, then?

A figure of 7 was being thrown around a few months ago by some people on this forum, so one or two more might be likely

CW2

Established Member
So in summary, 3 sets, and locos 67008 / 14 / 15 / 17 / 25.
Is there any info on (revised) projected introduction dates, and the proposed routes / diagrams?
Before the timetables got shredded it seemed each set would run 3 single trips Holyhead - Chester - Cardiff, but there was also talk of an introduction on Cardiff - Manchester, pending route clearance for Mk 4s to Holyhead. Has that been resolved yet?
Thanks in advance for any updates / info.

DB

So in summary, 3 sets, and locos 67008 / 14 / 15 / 17 / 25.
Is there any info on (revised) projected introduction dates, and the proposed routes / diagrams?
Before the timetables got shredded it seemed each set would run 3 single trips Holyhead - Chester - Cardiff, but there was also talk of an introduction on Cardiff - Manchester, pending route clearance for Mk 4s to Holyhead. Has that been resolved yet?
Thanks in advance for any updates / info.

Are they actually running three sets at once? My assumption was two sets in use and one spare - running three with no spare vehicles at all wouldn't do wonders for reliability, and would definitely mean substitutions whenever a set neeed an exam.

hobbm013

Are they actually running three sets at once? My assumption was two sets in use and one spare - running three with no spare vehicles at all wouldn't do wonders for reliability, and would definitely mean substitutions whenever a set neeed an exam.

That was my understanding, two sets doing 3 trips a day with a third spare. Obviously there was a Mk3 set which did Manchester - Llandudno - Holyhead and there was talk of using Mk4s on this whilst route clearance was sorted for the trip to Cardiff, but with the introduction date slipping further and further, I think they’ll just focus on getting them running Holyhead - Cardiff.

There will be people a lot more informed and qualified than me to confirm or deny though

hobbm013

Mk4s are cleared to Holyhead in the Sectional Appendix and test runs have taken place between Holyhead and Manchester.

I think the Clearance issue lies somewhere on the Marches line hence the rumour of a Holyhead - Manchester service temporarily

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Mk4s are cleared to Holyhead in the Sectional Appendix and test runs have taken place between Holyhead and Manchester.

I think the Clearance issue lies somewhere on the Marches line hence the rumour of a Holyhead - Manchester service temporarily

The clearance issue is on the Marches Line and might very well have been resolved by now but COVID has just put everything back, such as COVID Timetables operating and crew training. 2 Sets between Holyhead and Cardiff. The Manchester has (or should have done) gone over to a DMU but due to the delay of their introduction over the Marches a Mark 4 was going to be used temporarily on the Manchester in order to utilise one. Any suggestion of working between Cardiff and Manchester are, at this stage at least, pure speculation by LHCS enthusiasts.
COVID has just thrown everything up into the air now so any introduction dates are unknown or not possible to have a guess at.

Last edited:

DB

Do they have plans for any refurbishment / repainting of the coaches in the interim, given that they won't need them for a while? The sets used for testing seem to have had very little done to the coaches.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
The clearance issue is on the Marches Line and might very well have been resolved by now but COVID has just put everything back, such as COVID Timetables operating and crew training. 2 Sets between Holyhead and Cardiff. The Manchester has (or should have done) gone over to a DMU but due to the delay of their introduction over the Marches a Mark 3 was going to be used temporarily on the Manchester in order to utilise one. Any suggestion of working between Cardiff and Manchester are, at this stage at least, pure speculation by LHCS enthusiasts.
COVID has just thrown everything up into the air now so any introduction dates are unknown or not possible to have a guess at.

I believe all the Mk3s have gone in the Long Marston bin, so the only option is Mk4 when it suits.

DB

I believe all the Mk3s have gone in the Long Marston bin, so the only option is Mk4 when it suits.

All ten TSOs plus one of the RFMs have been recently taken from LM to Castle Donington - seems to be some speculation that DB have bought them.

Not seen anything mentioned about the other RFM or the DVTs.

hobbm013

All ten TSOs plus one of the RFMs have been recently taken from LM to Castle Donington - seems to be some speculation that DB have bought them.

Not seen anything mentioned about the other RFM or the DVTs.

I heard ROG had bought them. Didn’t DB (well Arriva) own some of them anyway?

DB

I heard ROG had bought them. Didn’t DB (well Arriva) own some of them anyway?

You could be right - do they use Castle Donington?

They were all owned by Arriva, which is part of the DB empire but a separate subsidiary to DB Cargo.

Operationally easier south of Crewe but I doubt anyone at Crewe or Holyhead driver depots would sign it these days (although I know of 1 at Holyhead who drove for Freightliner for a good while who would have for a while in the past no doubt). Crewe to Warrington is part of 1 of the diversions for Manchester services so a Crewe driver would be able to go that way. You would still need a Holyhead driver past Chester though so 2 drivers involved?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Operationally easier south of Crewe but I doubt anyone at Crewe or Holyhead driver depots would sign it these days (although I know of 1 at Holyhead who drove for Freightliner for a good while who would have for a while in the past no doubt). Crewe to Warrington is part of 1 of the diversions for Manchester services so a Crewe driver would be able to go that way. You would still need a Holyhead driver past Chester though so 2 drivers involved?

I don't think Crewe sign between Warrington and Chester but Holyhead do as they work some Chester to Manchester services

craigybagel

Established Member
Holyhead driver needed after Warrington, as whilst Crewe do sign Crewe to Warrington they don't sign Warrington to Chester, or indeed down the coast as you say. But yes, two drivers involved.

OrangeJuice

Does anyone know when these may eventually enter service (or is it still up in the air with the Covid Timetables)?

Also is there any news on progress with driver/staff training?

Bob Price

Incredibly smoky exit from Crewe. Could have been mistaken for a steam loco.

Holyhead driver needed after Warrington, as whilst Crewe do sign Crewe to Warrington they don't sign Warrington to Chester, or indeed down the coast as you say. But yes, two drivers involved.

Couldn't recall whether Crewe drivers used to sign via Frodsham at any point. Ironically in the days I used to use the line it was Chester and possibly Junction crews only up to Manchester direct. Holyhead were confined to Crewe direct, with no diversions and an occasional run into Llandudno Town I think.