• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Examples of "new and improved" products which are/were anything but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnychips

Established Member
The Milky Bar kid is strong and tough
And only the best is good enough
The creamiest milk
The whitest bar
The goodness that’s in Milky Bar

’The Milky Bars are on me!’

Horrible then, horrible now!

ABB125

Established Member
"Highway Improvement Schemes". These usually mean more traffic lights, more road humps, and other things that increase congestion, increase journey times, and sometimes make things less safe. (e.g. poorly phased lights where it becomes almost impossible to make legal right turns because there is too much bunching of traffic coming in the opposite direction)
Seconded!

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Creocote, the substitute for creosote now that it has been banned for domestic use, is rubbish at preserving wood. New and improved as in less toxic, but it needs to be toxic to kill the rot. Farmers, the railway (for sleepers) and BT (for telegraph poles) can still get the real stuff.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The Milky Bar kid is strong and tough
And only the best is good enough
The creamiest milk
The whitest bar
The goodness that’s in Milky Bar

’The Milky Bars are on me!’

Horrible then, horrible now!

Preposterously thin !

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Galaxy seem to have gone the same way unfortunately with the taste :(

Oh dear, that is a shame.

Galaxy over Dairy milk for me I'm afraid.

I would concur there, Galaxy was always superior to Dairy Milk. Before and after company changes.

On which note, it is noticeable how Galaxy never seems to need adverts but Dairy Milk does. Almost as if the inferior product (supposedly a favourite of the nation) needs promoting heavily due to poor sales!

Not that it matters to me, I don't buy the average chocolate these days anyway. I finally crossed over to vegan a few weeks back, so when I do buy chocolate it's one of the (surprisingly numerous) vegan-friendly bars. I try not to buy those either now, but that is more due to a personal mission to decrease my intake of processed food, and to eat much more healthily in general.

I also noted many fizzy drinks products in this thread, and I have to agree with some of them. The supposedly better Coke Zero is not worth buying in my view, I've tried it with an open mind but I just can't enjoy it. I only drink fizzy drinks on rare occasions, and have done so for longer than I care to remember, so a nice and cold bottle of pop on a hot day should be a nice treat. Sadly though, I'm steering well away from Coke products altogether now, the taste is just not to my, well, taste and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Regarding the Heinz stuff, I cannot really comment fairly as I don't buy their products normally. When it comes to baked beans, these days I go with the supermarket own-brand reduced sugar and salt tins. On the rare occasions I have the other varieties, I find them too sweet and enjoy the experience much less.

I do have to agree with Lucozade though, it's not as good as it used to be. I generally only buy it when I'm unwell, and by cripes I could do with a bottle of it right now. I had my second vaccine yesterday, and it's hitting me harder than expected, so I could do with a boost. Last time I had some though, compared to the bottles of it I had in the now-distant past, it was nowhere near as good as it used to be. I do wonder if they're now struggling to keep up with the modern world, as the 1 litre bottles have gone down to 900ml bottles in my local Asda.

Thankfully Lucozade Sport doesn't *seem* to have been drastically affected, I do like some of that when I'm having a big cycling session. I still try and avoid it though, preferring to use the electrolytes tablets from the likes of Science in Sport or High5 in my water bottles. Over the course of a tube of those, they work out cheaper and have all the good stuff that the body craves during exercise, just not with all the bad stuff!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Oh dear, that is a shame.

I would concur there, Galaxy was always superior to Dairy Milk. Before and after company changes.

On which note, it is noticeable how Galaxy never seems to need adverts but Dairy Milk does. Almost as if the inferior product (supposedly a favourite of the nation) needs promoting heavily due to poor sales!

Not that it matters to me, I don't buy the average chocolate these days anyway. I finally crossed over to vegan a few weeks back, so when I do buy chocolate it's one of the (surprisingly numerous) vegan-friendly bars. I try not to buy those either now, but that is more due to a personal mission to decrease my intake of processed food, and to eat much more healthily in general.

I also noted many fizzy drinks products in this thread, and I have to agree with some of them. The supposedly better Coke Zero is not worth buying in my view, I've tried it with an open mind but I just can't enjoy it. I only drink fizzy drinks on rare occasions, and have done so for longer than I care to remember, so a nice and cold bottle of pop on a hot day should be a nice treat. Sadly though, I'm steering well away from Coke products altogether now, the taste is just not to my, well, taste and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Regarding the Heinz stuff, I cannot really comment fairly as I don't buy their products normally. When it comes to baked beans, these days I go with the supermarket own-brand reduced sugar and salt tins. On the rare occasions I have the other varieties, I find them too sweet and enjoy the experience much less.

I do have to agree with Lucozade though, it's not as good as it used to be. I generally only buy it when I'm unwell, and by cripes I could do with a bottle of it right now. I had my second vaccine yesterday, and it's hitting me harder than expected, so I could do with a boost. Last time I had some though, compared to the bottles of it I had in the now-distant past, it was nowhere near as good as it used to be. I do wonder if they're now struggling to keep up with the modern world, as the 1 litre bottles have gone down to 900ml bottles in my local Asda.

Thankfully Lucozade Sport doesn't *seem* to have been drastically affected, I do like some of that when I'm having a big cycling session. I still try and avoid it though, preferring to use the electrolytes tablets from the likes of Science in Sport or High5 in my water bottles. Over the course of a tube of those, they work out cheaper and have all the good stuff that the body craves during exercise, just not with all the bad stuff!

I quite like the Coke Zero funnilly enough. Far better than the horid Diet Coke, and the full suger stuff akes me feel bloated if I have a whole can.

satisnek

Shreddies now taste like the cardboard box they come packaged in - only they're more like plastic than cardboard because not soaking up milk and going soggy is marketed as an advantage! A far cry from that wonderful malty taste of Nabisco Shreddies when I was a kid. They weren't cheap and Mum didn't get them regularly, so they were always a treat.

Talking of 'malty', 'biscuity' and suchlike, has anyone mentioned Everards Tiger ale?
Mars Bars were lovely years ago, however, since the recipe was 'improved' they are disgusting crap
Proper Mars bars died in 2002. RIP.

eoff

Galaxy is too soft for the Summer.

I could never decide if new Club biscuits were better than the old ones.

nlogax

Established Member
Irn Bru. I'm only an occasional glugger of the stuff and haven't cottoned onto the difference but I am assured that the pre-2018, pre-sugar tax version was much nicer.

The irony being you can now also buy the 1901 variety all year round and turn your teeth into brown flappy mush with a single bottle.

najaB

Veteran Member
Irn Bru. I'm only an occasional glugger of the stuff and haven't cottoned onto the difference but I am assured that the pre-2018, pre-sugar tax version was much nicer.
I wonder how much of that is psychological?
The irony being you can now also buy the 1901 variety all year round and turn your teeth into brown flappy mush with a single bottle.
Well, that was always the intention of the sugar tax - encourage people to choose the low-sugar option by making it cheaper, rather than an outright ban on the high-sugar option.

Butts

Veteran Member
I'm still mourning the loss of Moray Cup :E

Stopped manufacturing a few years ago and no resurrection in sight.

Gone forever ?

johnnychips

Established Member
Whatever it is/was it came up as ‘Moray cup racist’ straight away when I Googled it. I think a similar thing happened with Camp ‘Coffee’.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I quite like the Coke Zero funnilly enough. Far better than the horid Diet Coke, and the full suger stuff akes me feel bloated if I have a whole can.
If you want a sugary cola, go for Coke. If you want the best sugar-free cola, Pepsi Max is the way to go.

On chocolate, if you liked how Galaxy used to taste, that newish Cadbury DarkMilk is ironically a pretty close match.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If you want a sugary cola, go for Coke. If you want the best sugar-free cola, Pepsi Max is the way to go.

On chocolate, if you liked how Galaxy used to taste, that newish Cadbury DarkMilk is ironically a pretty close match.

I've always hated dark chocolate (except combined with mint) so that's put me off trying that. Galaxy has never struck me as being less milky than other chocolates.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I've always hated dark chocolate (except combined with mint) so that's put me off trying that. Galaxy has never struck me as being less milky than other chocolates.
Don't let the name being "darkmilk" fool you, it's certainly not the same as plain chocolate, just less creamy and thus richer.

xotGD

Established Member
Don't let the name being "darkmilk" fool you, it's certainly not the same as plain chocolate, just less creamy and thus richer.
Waitrose own label Belgian milk chocolate is excellent, imo.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Waitrose own label Belgian milk chocolate is excellent, imo.

I also find that some of Aldi's own brand chocolate is excellent.

Or for something far more extravagant, Hotel Chocolat is a favourite of mine.
I also like Lindt.

Status
Not open for further replies.