• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excessing ticket on board / refunding a partially used ticket possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miklcct

On Moderation
1. [question moved from another forum] If I have a Salisbury-Bristol day return ticket, and, in the return trip, the train is delayed before arriving Salisbury that I determine it will no longer feasibly for me to make my bus connection to Bournemouth at Salisbury, can I excess the ticket to Bournemouth (with railcard discount applied on it) on the train without alighting, and claim a delay repay based on the time when the train actually arrived at Salisbury?

2. If I have a Bournemouth-Bristol day return ticket, and, in the return trip, I decide to get off at Salisbury instead and catch the bus to save 20 minutes getting home judging it's possible to catch the express bus, am I entitled to claim a partial refund according to the actual journey taken?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

roversfan2001

Established Member
1. You won't be able to claim Delay Repay based on the arrival time at Salisbury if you get an excess to Bournemouth. You can't have your cake and eat it so to speak. I'm fairly sure you should be able to get the excess, and it's possible, but you might struggle.

2. No.

miklcct

On Moderation
1. You won't be able to claim Delay Repay based on the arrival time at Salisbury if you get an excess to Bournemouth. You can't have your cake and eat it so to speak. I'm fairly sure you should be able to get the excess, and it's possible, but you might struggle.

So, in case of 1, what's my right if a delay causes me to change my journey? How's the excess fare calculated? Will it be better off for me to buy another Salisbury-Bournemouth single using an app with my railcard discount and claim delay repay on the original Salisbury-Bristol ticket, citing the delayed time into Salisbury?

skyhigh

Established Member
1. [question moved from another forum] If I have a Salisbury-Bristol day return ticket, and, in the return trip, the train is delayed before arriving Salisbury that I determine it will no longer feasibly for me to make my bus connection to Bournemouth at Salisbury, can I excess the ticket to Bournemouth (with railcard discount applied on it) on the train without alighting, and claim a delay repay based on the time when the train actually arrived at Salisbury?
From a previous thread:
You cannot purchase an over distance excess once you've gone beyond the validity of your originally held ticket. So if you cannot find a member of staff on board who can issue the excess before you reach the end of the tickets validity then you should leave the train at the point at which that validity comes to an end as otherwise you are travelling without a valid ticket.

2. If I have a Bournemouth-Bristol day return ticket, and, in the return trip, I decide to get off at Salisbury instead and catch the bus to save 20 minutes getting home judging it's possible to catch the express bus, am I entitled to claim a partial refund according to the actual journey taken?
Nope. You are entitled to a full refund if you abandon your journey due to disruption, or a refund minus an admin fee for a fully unused ticket (except tickets which are sold as non-refundable, such as advances).

Last edited:

roversfan2001

Established Member
So, in case of 1, what's my right if a delay causes me to change my journey? How's the excess fare calculated? Will it be better off for me to buy another Salisbury-Bournemouth single using an app with my railcard discount and claim delay repay on the original Salisbury-Bristol ticket, citing the delayed time into Salisbury?
The excess would be half the difference between a Salisbury-Bristol and a Bournemouth-Bristol return. I doubt a single would would out cheaper but I’m not familiar with the fares structure down there as it’s not really my territory.

I’d say if you bought an extra ticket you’d be able to claim Delay Repay on either the first ticket, the second ticket, or both together, whichever was more lucrative.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Actually, yes, you are. The refund will be based on the cost of the fare(s) required for the journey you actually undertook. This only works on flexible tickets though, and as you have to pay an administration fee of £10 and as single fares are often only 10p less than returns, your refund will typically be minimal, if not nothing.

skyhigh

Established Member
Actually, yes, you are. The refund will be based on the journey you actually undertook. This only works on flexible tickets though, and as you have to pay an administration fee of £10 and as single fares are often only 10p less than returns, your refund will often be minimal, if not nothing.
But is that true where the poster has used the whole outward and part of the return? Surely 2x singles would work out more expensive than a return so you wouldn't be due anything? (Unless of course I'm misreading it and the OP is actually asking if a return can be turned back into a single)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
But is that true where the poster has used the whole outward and part of the return? Surely 2x singles would work out more expensive than a return so you wouldn't be due anything? (Unless of course I'm misreading it and the OP is actually asking if a return can be turned back into a single)
The point of comparison would be the cost of a Bournemouth-Bristol single, plus a Bristol-Salisbury single. In this case, as most of the Bournemouth-Bristol returns are only marginally more than their single equivalents, you're correct, there won't be any refund due. However there may be a refund due in other circumstances - particularly where singles are nearer to single-leg pricing levels.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The excess would be half the difference between a Salisbury-Bristol and a Bournemouth-Bristol return. I doubt a single would would out cheaper but I’m not familiar with the fares structure down there as it’s not really my territory.

I’d say if you bought an extra ticket you’d be able to claim Delay Repay on either the first ticket, the second ticket, or both together, whichever was more lucrative.
An over-distance excess is the full difference in price between the two fares. It's a change of route excess that's half the difference (for one leg).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
An over-distance excess is the full difference in price between the two fares. It's a change of route excess that's half the difference (for one leg).
Agreed.

Most systems used to charge half the difference until the matter was raised here.
1. [question moved from another forum] If I have a Salisbury-Bristol day return ticket, and, in the return trip, the train is delayed before arriving Salisbury that I determine it will no longer feasibly for me to make my bus connection to Bournemouth at Salisbury, can I excess the ticket to Bournemouth (with railcard discount applied on it) on the train without alighting
No entitlement to this, but if you ask staff (while you are still travelling on a valid ticket) they may do this for you

Failing that, if the additional fare is e-ticket enabled you could obtain an e-ticket to extend your journey beyond Salisbury to Bristol.

Do be sure to obtain any such ticket before reaching Salisbury.
and claim a delay repay based on the time when the train actually arrived at Salisbury?
I would say that yes, Delay Repay should be calculated against arrival time at Salisbury.

Some people may argue you could include the excess/additional fare on the claim, but if any such fare was purchased after it was known that a delay was going to occur, this would be excluded by most, if not all, delay compensation schemes.

A refund is only available if you either do not travel at all, or if you return to the point of origin due to being unable to complete the journey.

I'd you choose to finish short, even due to a delay, a refund is not applicable.

island

Veteran Member
1. [question moved from another forum] If I have a Salisbury-Bristol day return ticket, and, in the return trip, the train is delayed before arriving Salisbury that I determine it will no longer feasibly for me to make my bus connection to Bournemouth at Salisbury, can I excess the ticket to Bournemouth (with railcard discount applied on it) on the train without alighting
If you can find a staff member willing to offer this.
, and claim a delay repay based on the time when the train actually arrived at Salisbury?
Yes, but only based on the original ticket, I don't see it as being valid on the excess fare.
2. If I have a Bournemouth-Bristol day return ticket
You don't, as there is no such ticket.
in the return trip, I decide to get off at Salisbury instead and catch the bus to save 20 minutes getting home judging it's possible to catch the express bus, am I entitled to claim a partial refund according to the actual journey taken?
...but assuming for the purpose of the question that you have a period return, you could in theory claim back the unused portion of the ticket less a £10 admin fee if there is anything to refund, which I doubt. A comparison would be made to a single from Bournemouth to Bristol and a single from Bristol to Salisbury, or perhaps a single from Bournemouth to Salisbury and a return from Salisbury to Bristol. Without checking the fares, I would be astounded if this combination was more than £10 cheaper than the through ticket.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.