• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exeter Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

REVUpminster

As the other thread for the depot have closed I've started a new oneExeter depot 3d.JPG

Artists impression above
Below: Inside the main shed looking at the 3 coach lifting road.
Exter depot lifting road.JPG.

Anyone know when this depot becomes fully operational? Have the staff and train crews moved to the new building alongside the shed?

These two pictures were taken by Cyril Sneer August 2020
50330379062_6086208b67_c.jpg

50329529028_29700f8572_c.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I drive past it every day and it looks like it’s coming together rapidly now.
From my point of view it’s great to see what’s happening at the moment.

Gloster

Established Member
Did it require planning permission? Although St David’s is not the most beautiful part of Exeter, it does look as though that top storey is going to dominate the area. It also looks as though it will put part of Platforms 5 and 6 in shadow for much of the day.

REVUpminster

As a curtesy it appeared on the Exeter or Devon County Council planning portal but I don't think they can object.
Exeter Depot plan.JPG
Overall planexeter depot lifting road..JPG
3 coach Lifting Road

Exeter shed north end.JPG
Shed North end bogie store. It looks like they come by road.

It looks to me they can do some serious work here.

RPI

Established Member
Our team has an office in there, keep getting told different dates for moving across, latest I heard now was May (Cleverley they never said which year...)

REVUpminster

Our team has an office in there, keep getting told different dates for moving across, latest I heard now was May (Cleverley they never said which year...)
Perhaps they only move May and December. Find your office?

Some cross sections below. I seem to have lost the plans of the upper floors.

depot cross section with footbridge..JPG
depot cross section.JPG

depot cross section 2.JPG

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Did it require planning permission? Although St David’s is not the most beautiful part of Exeter, it does look as though that top storey is going to dominate the area. It also looks as though it will put part of Platforms 5 and 6 in shadow for much of the day.
No it didn’t. The railway did formally apply for what is known as “prior approval under permitted development rights”, as it was a re-development of an existing operational facility.

Exeter City Council then concluded that prior approval was not required and told them to crack on...

I write to confirm that the Council has decided that prior approval is not required for the above development in accordance with the plans and supporting information submitted with this application.

Exeter City Council is satisfied that the proposed works are permitted development under Part 18 Class A to Schedule 2 of the GPDO 2015. The Council has considered the proposed development and is satisfied that the scheme will not ‘injure the amenities of the neighbourhood’ and could not be implemented somewhere else on the land.
That’s from the Exeter planning website, application 17/0345/30. (I won’t provide the link because it will time out.)

Last edited:

REVUpminster

Good article in the April Todays Railway's. Cost £56m, built by GWR. Accommodates around 600 staff including all drivers and guards., engineering staff and their support teams. It will enable platform 2 to be extended to berth a 5 car 802.

Exeter Depot 1st floor.JPG
First floor above
Second floor below. here there are 310 lockers and 12 helmet lockers.
Exeter Depot 2nd floor.JPG

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I am unable to make out from the Diagrams, but will there be a wheel lathe there ?

Last edited:

24Grange

I think it completely dominates and dwarfs the station :( - platform five and six up end must get chilly, I can't see them getting any sunshine now!

REVUpminster

I am unable to make out from the Diagrams, But will there be a wheel lathe there ?
I can enlarge the plans but cannot see a wheel lathe. It looks like that will be done elsewhere and complete bogies changed over, brought by road, using the lifting road. Modern maintenance; module replacement, not repair?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I can enlarge the plans but cannot see a wheel lathe. It looks like that will be done elsewhere and complete bogies changed over, brought by road, using the lifting road. Modern maintenance; module replacement, not repair?

Thanks. No it's alright no need to take the trouble of enlarge the plans

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Wow, that looks like it will be an amazing place when it is completed and up & running.

BShift

Good Afternoon,

I've just read the following article https://www.railinsider.co.uk/2020/11/26/depot-extension-at-exeter-nears-completion/

The extension to Great Western Railway’s train depot at Old Views in Exeter is nearing completion.

The new £40 million three-road facility, being built by Hochtief, is located on a brownfield site adjacent to the existing depot and St David’s station. It includes a carriage wash and will enhance operational and maintenance capacity, helping to service the new and updated trains being introduced to the region.

and was wondering if anyone knew what units are going to be maintained at the new Exeter depot please?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

REVUpminster

Today's Railways has a good feature with some drone shots taken on Christmas day with 143s 150s and 158s. They cost it at £53m and GWRs biggest project in the South West with up to 600 staff, not all at the same time (shift work) based their. there are 300+ lockers for train crew staff

The 166s are coming to replace the 150s on the Exmouth-Paignton service at least. 150s might come up from Long Rock or Laira for maintenance. The depot would struggle to stable all 20 150s even with the new depot.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Today's Railways has a good feature with some drone shots taken on Christmas day with 143s 150s and 158s. They cost it at £53m and GWRs biggest project in the South West with up to 600 staff, not all at the same time (shift work) based their. there are 300+ lockers for train crew staff

The 166s are coming to replace the 150s on the Exmouth-Paignton service at least. 150s might come up from Long Rock or Laira for maintenance. The depot would struggle to stable all 20 150s even with the new depot.

The 150s come up from Cornwall now and have done for years. Their diagrams cycle round via Exeter and can be away for a week.

Last edited:

RPI

Established Member

Attachments

• 20210510_175335.jpg
    20210510_175335.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 168

RPI

Established Member
Thanks all, for the news. No official opening? All the managers keeping a low profile this week.
I've seen plenty of management about? Both out on the platforms assisting passengers and doing their day jobs?

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Been open for over a week, heres a view from upstairs
Very good view from there. Prior to the new depot opening what facilities were available for train crew and staff - is it much improved from before?

Status
Not open for further replies.