• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Experiences on the road when walking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddragon

Established Member
There are no footpaths where I live or safe routes to walk anywhere other than around the village. Cycling is doable, but only with an e-bike due to steep hills and in the daylight due to the locally aggressive & selfish drivers in SUVs.

The new law on safe distances passing cyclists is setting in but any concept of safe passing distances for pedestrians has not. I have taken to taking an object with me & holding it out at arms length as cars approach, having reported 2 to the police for unsafe driving. I haver previously been clipped by wing mirrors on several occasions.

Does anyone make a stinger device I could walk with that ensures a 2m passing gap?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There are no footpaths where I live or safe routes to walk anywhere other than around the village. Cycling is doable, but only with an e-bike due to steep hills and in the daylight due to the locally aggressive & selfish drivers in SUVs.

The new law on safe distances passing cyclists is setting in but any concept of safe passing distances for pedestrians has not. I have taken to taking an object with me & holding it out at arms length as cars approach, having reported 2 to the police for unsafe driving. I haver previously been clipped by wing mirrors on several occasions.

Does anyone make a stinger device I could walk with that ensures a 2m passing gap?

You shouldn't need to, but wear a hi-vis. I've tried it when on country lanes and it makes a noticeable difference to speed and passing distance.

Last edited:

ashkeba

Established Member
You shouldn't need to, but wear a hi-vis. I've tried it when on country lanes and it makes a noticeable difference to speed and passing distance.
If you mean you get more room, that is the opposite effect to when cycling then!

I get more room since I started walking with a stick. Motorists seem quite happy with the idea of hitting soft flesh so there's no substitute for cold steel. They do not like it up 'em, they DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!

Gloster

Established Member
I get more room since I started walking with a stick. Motorists seem quite happy with the idea of hitting soft flesh so there's no substitute for cold steel. They do not like it up 'em, they DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!

Agreed. Since I moved I have to walk about a hundred yards along a bit of a rat run (the back road to Haven Street) with no pavement. I have less problems now than I used to at my old place where there was pavement all the way: cars used to swing in close to the edge to pass oncoming vehicles without the slightest care for anyone on the pavement. Now I have a stick and it is in my left hand.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I believe there is a general perception that there is an invisible force field around pedestrians which protects them and means you can drive as close to them as you like and they will not be injured, ever. It is not just 'footwayless' roads which are a problem, those which have a narrow footway can be a problem too. Vehicles approach from behind, at speed, oblivious of the impacts of passing too close and too fast, even if not making physical contact. Many rural roads only have a footway on one side, so you cannot always walk facing oncoming trafffic.

On a related note, the failure of Highway Authorities to mow verges, and when they do to churn it up leaving deep tractor tyre treads, does not help.

Carry a walking pole (loosely). Gaily swinging it without a care in the world with a single finger through the strap or balanced on one finger from the rubber grip.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you mean you get more room, that is the opposite effect to when cycling then!

I find they see hi vis and automatically think "speed trap" or "police", rather less so on a bike.

blackfive460

On the fairly narrow roads around here which fortunately aren't busy I am not prepared to take the risk so I stop walking and step onto, or more often into the grass verge until the vehicle passes. Most drivers slow down and give me a wave.
While there's usually sufficient width so that I could stay on the road I prefer to ensure that as far as possible, I'm safe; call it motivated self interest...

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I would do almost anything to avoid this: walk over the fields or on the muddy verge maybe.

You could borrow a shopping cart from the local food store and drape it with hi-vis vests, use it to protect yourself.

AndrewE

Established Member
What is the feeling about the old Highway Code advice to walk facing oncoming traffic? On the open road it works, but it sometimes means going round the inside of a tight bend when you would be more easily seen if you were on the outside of the bend (albeit with your back to the traffic and having to cross twice - near the bend - into the bargain.)

Ken H

On Moderation
I hate walking on roads and avoid it whenever possible. I get on public footpaths. Easier under foot.

You can buy an OS map, or look on streetmap.co.uk which has up to date OS maps to view.

What is the feeling about the old Highway Code advice to walk facing oncoming traffic? On the open road it works, but it sometimes means going round the inside of a tight bend when you would be more easily seen if you were on the outside of the bend (albeit with your back to the traffic and having to cross twice - near the bend - into the bargain.)
I never walk on the inside of a tight bend. cross over and be seen.

And why do people think its OK to walk 2 abreast in the road. No, walk in single file.

Ediswan

Established Member
And why do people think its OK to walk 2 abreast in the road. No, walk in single file.
No rule against it. All the Highway Code says is (part of Rule 2) "be prepared to walk in single file, especially on narrow roads or in poor light".

ashkeba

Established Member
The highway code also says "It may be safer to cross the road well before a sharp right-hand bend so that oncoming traffic has a better chance of seeing you. Cross back after the bend."

Bits if it are old toot, but they got this right.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Guidance is to do just that. The difficulty can be crossing, as you say, just before a bend. Particularly so if on a road 's' bending at frequent intervals. Cross too soon and you are not visible from behind, leave it too late and you can't see round the bend to safely cross.

Guidance (probably from The Ramblers, but I don't have it to hand) is also for groups to walk on the left rather than facing oncoming traffic. It is also suggested for front and back markers to wear hi-vis with 'front' and 'back' marker notices, so drivers are aware there is a group ahead and overtake with that in mind.

Depending on the volume of traffic I will walk on the right, to face oncoming traffic, but move closer to the centre of the road so both I and the oncoming driver have more time to see each other. I walk with the anticipation of diving back to the hedge once we have hopefully spotted each other.

Gloster

Established Member
Guidance (probably from The Ramblers, but I don't have it to hand) is also for groups to walk on the left rather than facing oncoming traffic. It is also suggested for front and back markers to wear hi-vis with 'front' and 'back' marker notices, so drivers are aware there is a group ahead and overtake with that in mind.
Does that mean at all times or just when there is no footpath? My bus stop is on a bit of road that is a pinch point: several footpaths each side, but a few hundred yards where you have to follow the road. I regularly see individuals heading eastwards (back to traffic) on the left-hand side of the road, much of which has no clearance between the carriageway and the fences or hedges, despite there being a pavement all the way along the other side.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Does that mean at all times or just when there is no footpath? My bus stop is on a bit of road that is a pinch point: several footpaths each side, but a few hundred yards where you have to follow the road. I regularly see individuals heading eastwards (back to traffic) on the left-hand side of the road, much of which has no clearance between the carriageway and the fences or hedges, despite there being a pavement all the way along the other side.
I think most people would suggest walking on the footway, where there is one, rather than unnecessarily in the road. Although it is perfectly legal to do so, facing oncoming traffic or with your back to it. All road users should have regard / consideration for all other road users, whatever their means of propulsion.

I had a specific road in mind when I entered this thread. There the (narrow) footway switches from one side to the other a number of times. At no point beyond the urban area is there a path (or verge) on both sides so you do have to cross each time.

One question is, if there is a footway only on the opposite side of the road to a bus stop, do you wait on the correct side ie. without a footway, or on the opposite side where there is a footway and wave hoping the bus driver sees you and knows why you are stood where you are?

Ediswan

Established Member
Found it: https://www.ramblers.org.uk/advice/safety/highway-code-for-walkers.aspx
Large groups on organised walks should keep to the left when no pavement is available. There should be a look-out at the front and back of the group wearing fluorescent clothes in daylight and reflective clothes in the dark. At night, the front look-out should have a white light and the rear look-out a red light. People on the outside of large groups should also carry lights and wear reflective clothing.
To address the question @Gloster raised, this is "when there is no pavement available".

Gloster

Established Member
One question is, if there is a footway only on the opposite side of the road to a bus stop, do you wait on the correct side ie. without a footway, or on the opposite side where there is a footway and wave hoping the bus driver sees you and knows why you are stood where you are?

I would generally think that you should wait on the side that the bus will be on. If you are on the opposite side the driver might not see you due to vehicles in the way or having to concentrate their attention on something else. At least on the island there don’t seem to be many locations where there isn’t at least a bit of cleared ground or a 4’ by 4’ piece of tarmac on the verge.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The highway code also says "It may be safer to cross the road well before a sharp right-hand bend so that oncoming traffic has a better chance of seeing you. Cross back after the bend."

Bits if it are old toot, but they got this right.

Indeed. Walk on the right unless it will pose specific danger, which a right hand bend does. The reason you walk on the right is so you can see and make eye contact with the drivers of the vehicles posing the biggest potential threat.

Large groups are considered a slow-moving vehicle, which is a bit different.

I think most people would suggest walking on the footway, where there is one, rather than unnecessarily in the road. Although it is perfectly legal to do so, facing oncoming traffic or with your back to it. All road users should have regard / consideration for all other road users, whatever their means of propulsion.

This a million times. Share the road, which means give due consideration to the needs of everyone else who also needs to use it. And remember, you don't want a gravestone "here lies X, they had the right of way". Asserting your right of way when to do so poses you a risk is stupidity itself. (Those "militant cyclist" videos all over Twitter and YouTube generally demonstrate such road use resulting in accidents or near misses).

blackfive460

What is the feeling about the old Highway Code advice to walk facing oncoming traffic?
The difficulty there is that many people, perhaps the majority seem to walk on the left on the roads round here.
Most seem to be casual walkers (not ramblers, etc.) and I assume that since they are used to seeing the road from that side when in their cars, that's why they do it even though simple common sense would suggest otherwise.

jnjkerbin

The difficulty there is that many people, perhaps the majority seem to walk on the left on the roads round here.
Most seem to be casual walkers (not ramblers, etc.) and I assume that since they are used to seeing the road from that side when in their cars, that's why they do it even though simple common sense would suggest otherwise.
Surely it depends on the circumstances. A dead straight residential street with a 20mph limit, I'd walk whatever side I want, particularly on a hot day when one side is in the shade. A faster road, then I'd walk on the right except on a bend, where I would walk on the outside.

But generally motorists care about motorists, see car drivers who park totally blocking the pavement, even on a perfectly wide road where traffic can pass easily.

blackfive460

A dead straight residential street with a 20mph limit, I'd walk whatever side I want,
Quite so but I'd expect a residential street to have pavements. Not something that I see much of in the rural area where I am at the moment.

Please don't get me started on cars parked on pavements for no obvious reason other than convenience!

AM9

Veteran Member
There seems to be a total misunderstanding of the risks to pedestrians from moving traffic. That also applies to pavements that are anything less than very wide, (e.g. greater than 2m). In almost every situation*, pavement walkers/pushchair pushers should pass to the left of other approaching them. On a narrow pavement next to a busy road, (there are plenty of those) the person nearest the kerb is at danger of close passing traffic. Therefore they should be facing it. That holds for every able bodied person**, and is a safety issue, - nothing to do with old fashined chivalry. Once the walking population has accepted this then keeping left of other pedestrians would become the norm on all footways.

* There are exceptions such as walking alongside a one-way street flow where the risk on the offside of the traffic requires requires a change to walking to the right of other pedestrians. The only other type of place would be in subways etc., where there is a specific instruction to walk on the right particularly at some stations. There seems to be some preference to walking on the right where there is no reason to, - I think that maybe the position on LU escalators may have something to do with that where those wishing to walk are required to pass to the left of standees. We here know that is there for a very specific reason.
** Exceptions may include those who have particular physical reasons why they are unable to keep left and maybe small children.

DelW

Established Member
One of my local stops was like this, and I always waited on the correct side, even though at some times of year that meant standing in knee-high grass and undergrowth. It was just too busy a road to be sure of being able to cross in time when my bus arrived.

One regular driver sympathised with my wet trousers on occasion - I don't know whether they put in some form of report or not, but a couple of months ago a contractor cleared the stretch of verge, laid about 20 yards of pavement, and even installed raised kerbs for the bus to pull up to. Since I'd never seen anyone else but me use that stop, I was quite gratified! (Though because of its location, it may get more use early in the morning, before I'm about).

AndrewE

Established Member
There seems to be a total misunderstanding of the risks to pedestrians from moving traffic. That also applies to pavements that are anything less than very wide, (e.g. greater than 2m). In almost every situation*, pavement walkers/pushchair pushers should pass to the left of other approaching them. On a narrow pavement next to a busy road, (there are plenty of those) the person nearest the kerb is at danger of close passing traffic. Therefore they should be facing it. That holds for every able bodied person**, and is a safety issue, - nothing to do with old fashined chivalry. Once the walking population has accepted this then keeping left of other pedestrians would become the norm on all footways.

* There are exceptions such as walking alongside a one-way street flow where the risk on the offside of the traffic requires requires a change to walking to the right of other pedestrians. The only other type of place would be in subways etc., where there is a specific instruction to walk on the right particularly at some stations. There seems to be some preference to walking on the right where there is no reason to, - I think that maybe the position on LU escalators may have something to do with that where those wishing to walk are required to pass to the left of standees. We here know that is there for a very specific reason.
** Exceptions may include those who have particular physical reasons why they are unable to keep left and maybe small children.
This is very sensible, and seems to be the pattern or rule "across the pond." It is about the only thing of theirs where we would benefit by adopting it!
2-way traffic: same rule on the pavement (footway), keep left. One-way street: walk facing traffic next to kerb.

AM9

Veteran Member
This is very sensible, and seems to be the pattern or rule "across the pond." It is about the only thing of theirs where we would benefit by adopting it!
2-way traffic: same rule on the pavement (footway), keep left. One-way street: walk facing traffic next to kerb.
I realised just wrong it was here a few years ago whilst on a short holiday in New York when walking around the/a lake in Central Park. Naturally we walked on the left and within a couple of minutes, we was getting looks and tuts from virtually all walkers coming the other way as they had to change their side. I'm not one who wants to copy US habits for the sake of it but this one reinforced my determination to try and encourage the habit here (keeping left of course).

BingMan

To be fair most car drivers do only travel inngle file (average car occupancy is below 1.5).
So most car drivers are occupying the road space of a surplus two and a half arm chairs. No wonder the roads are congested

Status
Not open for further replies.