• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Experiences on the road when walking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Ham

Established Member
How many two and a half armchairs does a double decker bus take up? Yes, no wonder the roads are congested :D

When comparing everything as Passenger Car Units a bus counts as 2.

And how many passengers does the average bus carry?

To beet the average of 2 cars (see above) a bus would need to carry 3 passengers (an average car has less than 1.5 people).

Even at the peak of Covid Scotland and Wales both averaged about 3.5 (normally over 7), whilst London averages up to 20 (during Covid 7.5), data from here:

route101

Established Member
Surprisingly many small estate roads built in the 1990s don't, e.g. the one where my aunt and uncle live near Southampton. The idea was "shared space", one later discredited because it's no good for the blind or infirm.
You see on recent lidl/aldi store developments too. No pavement into the car park.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I wonder if that's because they've realised that hardly anyone actually used pavements in car parks, unless they are in the desire line?

Almost no car parks have pavements. I have never quite been sure why, but I suspect it is indeed that people don't use them so why bother?

The Ham

Established Member
Almost no car parks have pavements. I have never quite been sure why, but I suspect it is indeed that people don't use them so why bother?

In part I suspect that for the vast majority of car drivers it's in a setting where they can associate with being a pedestrian and so don't see it as a driver vs pedestrian conflict, unlike (say) a pedestrian trying to cross a busy road were the car drivers are less likely to have to make such a crossing so are less likely to have experience of with being in that situation.

Sultan

I always abide by the highway code when walking along roads without a usable footpath - walk towards the traffic unless it is more dangerous to do so (eg a right-hand bend so you cannot see what is around the corner).

Another useful thing is a mapping aid - I use Pokemon GO which shows all footpaths in realtime so you can see if there is a non-road route - other Apps may be available!!

And at night, a torch is good. I use a pretty powerful one (6000+ lumin) pointing ahead, but making sure you don't blind any driver. It's sufficiently bright enough to make them slow down enough, just to make sure it's not another vehicle! I re-iterate to only point it about 20 yards ahead (max) down onto the road. It there's no traffic around, great for round corners as it can look like you have a high-beam.

Ken H

On Moderation
Another useful thing is a mapping aid - I use Pokemon GO which shows all footpaths in realtime so you can see if there is a non-road route - other Apps may be available!!
Streetmap.co.uk allows you to view ordnance survey maps online. OS maps show public footpaths and bridleways.
But it does not work if there is no internet!
(Link goes to a map image site)

ashkeba

Established Member
I think a safe, direct walking route to the shop door protected from motor vehicles is required by the UK national planning policy section on active travel, but almost no council seems to be enforcing it on new stores yet.

ABB125

Established Member
I think a safe, direct walking route to the shop door protected from motor vehicles is required by the UK national planning policy section on active travel, but almost no council seems to be enforcing it on new stores yet.
And almost no-one would use it even if it was there

ashkeba

Established Member
But exactly no-one can use it if it isn't there.

This seems like the same argument used again and again against paths beside roads until lines get worn through the grass verges by people walking.

ABB125

Established Member
But exactly no-one can use it if it isn't there.

This seems like the same argument used again and again against paths beside roads until lines get worn through the grass verges by people walking.
The thing with a car park path is that for almost everyone it won't be on the desire line, and therefore won't get used. Whereas a pavement along a road doesn't have that problem, because the road IS the desire line (unless you like going through fields etc)

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I would certainly use a footway across a car park, even if it were indirect and I had to walk a few steps further! I walk round the side where possible, or across the grass. I guess the reason they are not provided is to allow as many parking spaces as possible.

ashkeba

Established Member
The thing with a car park path is that for almost everyone it won't be on the desire line, and therefore won't get used.
National planning policy now is for them to be on the desire line, direct. But I do not remember seeing one yet.

philthetube

Established Member
not always true, walking from Watford junction there is/was a Staples/ TK max store, no footpath into the car park, a reasonable proportion of their custom was commuters walking back from the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.